Professional Web Applications Themes

Gradients and CS2 - Adobe Illustrator Windows

When changing colors in a gradient. It doesn't work properly. It won't let me change colors at times or when a color finally changes on the gradient tool it doesn't update the color properly on the work area. So far it's been hit and miss with me. I work mainly with spot colors. Just wanted to inform Adobe of this problem. Thanks, Larry...

  1. #1

    Default Gradients and CS2

    LMC54@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gradients and CS2

    I can't repro this on my XPSP2 or W2K machine.

    Have you tried trashing your prefs?

    What OS are you running? Service Pack?
    Make of machine?

    Does it happen on all gradients? Radial? Linear? With angle?

    When you say that the color doesn't update properly, what does that mean? Does it not take it at all? Does it change to a different color?

    Chelan
    Chelan@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I've been working with just linear gradients with spot colors. When actually doing the linear is no problem, it only happens durning re-editing the colors, in other words assigning new colors. I haven't had time to try it with process colors. Never been a problem with CS1. I'm using standard XP with service pack2. MSI motherboard with 2 gigs of EDOs and Intel 3.3ghtz P4. Color sometimes changes sometimes it doesn't. It especially happens when changing the percentage of Ink to be used within a specific color of the linear gradient. I thought it was a corruption of a file so I did a repair from the installation CD, but no different results.

  4. #4

    Well I tried all gradient types and they all do the same thing.

  5. #5

    Larry,

    I am not having any trouble editing the tints of spot colors used inside gradients.

    First, have you tried discarding your Preferences file?

    If you do, and it still happens, can you provide some more details?

    Does it make a difference whether or not there is an object painted with the gradient selected when you are attempting to adjust the colors?

    Is the little triangle at the top of the selected color stop staying black while you are editing the tint? That is, is the problem that it is losing the link to the gradient stop, or is the gradient color stop remaining selected but the color change not taking place anyway?

    Does it matter how quickly you work? (There were some problems in AI 10, Mac only, with dragging color stops that were very hard to reproduce, and it turned out that it only happened if you moused down on the color stop indicator while it was still updating the screen from moving a different color stop - in that situation it was not processing the mouse down event, and was creating a new color stop at the mouse up position, as if you had clicked there. We had a bear of a time reproducing the problem, because most people wait to see how the previous color change looks before manipulating a different color stop, and the few people who reported the problem never thought to mention that they were working very quickly. It did not get reproduced in house until someone sent a quicktime video of it happening.)

    Does it matter what method you use to change the color, such as whether you are moving the tint slider vs typing a number into the percentage field?

    Does it matter what input device you use? (Mouse vs tablet, etc.)
    Teri Guest

  6. #6

    Ok I'll discard the Preferences file. I'll do that tomorrow, I bet that will work.

  7. #7

    I can't seem to find the Preference file. Where is the location?

  8. #8

    See http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.eed5198.2cd0b46e

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9