Professional Web Applications Themes

Graduated Neutral Density - Adobe Photoshop Elements

What is the best and most effective way, using Elements 2.0, to achieve an image effect similar to that when using a graduated neutral density filter on a camera lens to hold back bright skies, etc????? I am looking for a filter or effect that is graduated in density and neutral in color saturation. Any suggestions will be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Graduated Neutral Density

    What is the best and most effective way, using Elements 2.0, to achieve an image effect similar to that when using a graduated neutral density filter on a camera lens to hold back bright skies, etc????? I am looking for a filter or effect that is graduated in density and neutral in color saturation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Daniel Blackburn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Graduated Neutral Density

    Daniel, one way to get that effect (if I understand the effect correctly) is
    to add a Levels Adjustment layer, then use a black-to-white gradient on the
    layer mask. If the black portion of the gradient is at the bottom
    (ground)and the white portion is at the top (sky), opening the levels dialog
    on the adjustment layer and pushing the slider to the right will darken the
    sky while keeping the ground at its original lightness, with a gradual
    change in between. Depending on where you start and finish the gradient,
    you should be able to achieve the effect you're looking for. Please let me
    know if more detail would be helpful.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Daniel: You can use gray to transparent by selecting gray as the foreground
    color, then using foreground-to-transparent gradient. It's a trial and
    error process to figure out where to start and end the gradient, though;
    you can draw a very short line that will make for a very quick change, or
    you can draw from top to bottom to cause the change to blend in over the
    entire length or width of the picture. Just gotta keep trying....!

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    Another way, added to the previous ideas:-

    Duplicate layer,
    desaturate (ctrl+shif+U)
    change blend mode to luminosity
    create levels adjustment layer
    Group to previous layer
    Make levels adjustment (move centre pyramid to the right to darken)
    (following steps are similar to above)
    Select gradient tool, foreground to transparent.
    Click on the levels layer mask (white rectangle to side)
    Click and hold at top of picture (pressing the shift) and drag down as far as you want the gradient to affect.

    All of the changes can be fiddled with to get the effect.

    This should affect only the luminosity (tone) and not the colours.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  5. #5

    The best way is in Richard Lynch's book(just checked), so I cannot really post it here.
    The one above works (sort of) but it is too late for me to edit it.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  6. #6

    [url]http://www.homestead.com/emcguirk/files/Articles/Final_ND_article__1_.htm[/url]

    "Daniel Blackburn" <danielmbearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > What is the best and most effective way, using Elements 2.0, to achieve an
    image effect similar to that when using a graduated neutral density filter
    on a camera lens to hold back bright skies, etc????? I am looking for a
    filter or effect that is graduated in density and neutral in color
    saturation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Cats 4ever Guest

  7. #7

    [url]http://canong2.dynip.com:8080/canon-g2/digital-darkroom-article10.shtml[/url]

  8. #8