Professional Web Applications Themes

Graphic adapters - Sun Solaris

HI, Does anybody know if a "standard" ATI Radeon 7000 based PCI graphics adapter would work with Solaris 9 or Solaris 10? Since these boards cost around 50USD, they are very suitable for home use on old U5 and U10 compared to SUN's OEM adapters. /michael...

  1. #1

    Default Graphic adapters

    HI,

    Does anybody know if a "standard" ATI Radeon 7000 based PCI graphics
    adapter would work with Solaris 9 or Solaris 10?

    Since these boards cost around 50USD, they are very suitable for home
    use on old U5 and U10 compared to SUN's OEM adapters.

    /michael

    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Graphic adapters

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:28:03 +0000, Michael Laajanen wrote:

    Hi

    I don't think that a standard ATI card would work in a Sun machine,
    because It dosen't have the right firmware.
    Sun Hardware have a Openfirmware, but the PC's have a BIOS, and the
    standard ATI card is made for that.

    Greetings from Denmark
    Kent Wormsdorf
    --
    PS. (Sorry, only in danish.)

    Er der nogen der mangler en mand med lidt viden om Sun HW og SW,
    så må I gerne sende mig en E-mail.
    Jeg er uddannet datamatiker og har senest arbejdet som teknisk presale konsulent.

    Kent Guest

  3. #3

    HI,

    Kent Wormsdorf wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I don't think that a standard ATI card would work in a Sun machine,
    > because It dosen't have the right firmware.
    > Sun Hardware have a Openfirmware, but the PC's have a BIOS, and the
    > standard ATI card is made for that.
    >
    > Greetings from Denmark[/ref]
    Hello Denmark, and here is the Swedish vote... :)

    I don't think there is any firmware on the board, it uses standard VGA
    until the OS is booted then the OS loads the driver for the adapter.

    But, there could be a problem with the adapter PCI vendor and device ID
    which could be changed on the SUN board so a ATI vendor ID is rejected
    byt the Solaris driver.

    Do you have a XVR-100 and can read the PCI vendor ID and device ID?

    /michael

    --
    If a train station is a place where a train stops, what's a
    workstation?

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    Michael Laajanen wrote:

    Modern IBM-PC compatible graphics cards typically provide a BIOS
    extension that initialises VGA mode and installs an int 0x10 handler.

    The Solaris driver depends on device tree properties set by the device's
    Open Firmware Fcode and will therefore only work with Sun's cards.

    --
    Wishing you good fortune,
    --Robin Kay-- (komadori)

    Robin Guest

  5. #5

    In article <uk.clara.net>,
    Robin KAY <com> wrote:

    >The Solaris driver depends on device tree properties set by the device's
    >Open Firmware Fcode and will therefore only work with Sun's cards.[/ref]

    I think I read somewhere that these are MAC-compatible ATI-cards.
    So if you find one of those (remeber; PCI-bus) they might work just
    as well.

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol ce.chalmers.se

    Fredrik Guest

  6. #6

    HI,

    Fredrik Lundholm wrote:

    >>The Solaris driver depends on device tree properties set by the device's
    >>Open Firmware Fcode and will therefore only work with Sun's cards.[/ref]
    >

    > I think I read somewhere that these are MAC-compatible ATI-cards.
    > So if you find one of those (remeber; PCI-bus) they might work just
    > as well.[/ref]
    Yes I have seen that there are ATI mac boards, but I don't know whats
    make a board MAC compatible?

    Have anybody seen a XVR-100 board and can say if there is a flash memory
    on the board that holds the BIOS ext. or "F-code"?

    Sometimes we can read that a graphic board is not supported on a certain
    SUN PCI WS/Server but on some other SUN PCI WS/Server it is supported,
    why?

    /michael

    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    In article <com>,
    Michael Laajanen <com> wrote:

    The Mac uses the same OpenBoot standard as Sun does. So a Mac-card
    will contain the required OBP-code.

    It's usually only a matter of testing. Why should Sun waste resources
    to certify the XVR-1200 on the V250!?

    Oh wait a minute, why would anyone want a dual USIIIi CPU-capable, SCSI
    "workstation" that supports Solaris 9 today!?
    (at the same price as a SB1500 no less)

    So even if motherboards are shared, Sun must actually test plugging the
    card into the machine etc.

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol ce.chalmers.se

    Fredrik Guest

  8. #8

    Michael Laajanen <com> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |Sometimes we can read that a graphic board is not supported on a certain
    | SUN PCI WS/Server but on some other SUN PCI WS/Server it is supported,
    |why?

    There could be many reasons:
    - if it's a UPA board, not all Sun systems have UPA slots
    - not all PCI slots are the same - and not all systems have all types
    (33 vs 66 Mhz, 32 vs 64 bit, 3.3 vs 5 volt, etc.)
    - the effort often isn't spent to test a new board on old systems that
    are no longer sold - there's a limited testing budget, and new
    systems obviously get higher priority.

    Alan Coopersmith calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: COM
    Alan Guest

  9. #9

    Michael Laajanen wrote:

    Firmware is needed for the card to display anything, even Standard VGA.
    _Every_ PC gfx card has a own BIOS, even the very oldest monochrome text gfx
    adapters...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Guest