Professional Web Applications Themes

Graphic Tablet. Which one? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm looking for a graphic tablet that I can use in Photoshop. I've never use one before and I'm not sure which brand is most recommended. I heard Wacom was a good brand. Please help....

  1. #1

    Default Graphic Tablet. Which one?

    I'm looking for a graphic tablet that I can use in Photoshop. I've never use one before and I'm not sure which brand is most recommended. I heard Wacom was a good brand. Please help.
    Shea Harrison Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Graphic Tablet. Which one?

    Chuck - as far as i know the Graphire comes in one-size -fits all 4x5. you have to pay a lot more $$ for the Wacom Intuos to get the larger sizes.

    The big deal with the Wacom is not just the price (their upmarket professional models are expensive) but the battery free technology that they use - any other cheap tablet needs a battery in the pen (or a cord tether) which makes them clunky and heavy.
    I'm a big fan of the graphire 2. It comes with a good bundle of toys - when I bought it it included lite versions of Painter (which in this region entitles moving to the full version at upgrade price - saves nearly twice the price of the tablet here in Aus. if you want that software!) and Expression. I'm told that the Intuos tablets are far superior to my little Graphire - but I'm pushed to work out where that would be, as they work so well - and a large tablet would ake up such a lot of desk.
    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  3. #3

    Susan: thanks. I remember visiting the Wacom website once and taking their
    survey; of course they recommended an Intuos 6x8, even though my responses
    would have made me wonder whether a Graphire 2 was even too much for me...!
    (And I still feel that way - no tablet here.....maybe someday)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    Chuck - I wouldn't be without one - my wrist hurts too much if I do as much mouse work as photoediting/image manipulation involves
    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  5. #5

    Susan, I use an ergonomic mouse pad that has a fairly thick foam wrist
    rest - has been a lifesaver. And I'll wager that I don't spend nearly so
    much time on an image as you do - your work is terrific!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Chuck -Thanks for the compliment! Some of the work does take a long time - I tend to extract by quick masking by hand at high magnification - for me it gives a better result but requires a lot of time. (And it's a downside of moving to a 4MP camera - twice as many pixels to extract, it takes significantly longer! One nice thing about the G3 tho' - I'm getting much better exposed and framed images out of the camera and they require a lot less fiddling with- usually just a touch of levels, crop and unsharp mask.)
    I also am not (paid) working so I spend rather too much of my day (and morning and evening) in front of the computer. And as what little paid work I do at the moment is editing stuff for my husband and his co-authors, that's even more computer time. Makes for sore back and wrist and neck,and switching between mouse and tablet helps a fair bit.
    Susan S. Guest

  7. #7

    Susan, re exposure on the G3: have you been able to prevent 'ing out'
    the highlights? That was my biggest problem in the early days of using the
    G2 - lots of images with big white areas. Dialed exposure compensation down
    1/3 stop and have lived happily ever after, albeit with every image needing
    some boost in contrast.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  8. #8

    By the way, the Graphire 2 comes a many tools specific for Elements and compatible applications. Plugins to do some nice stuff.

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  9. #9

    Mine didn't come with the mouse - not available in the Asia-Pacific region for some reason.

    Chuck - yes it is hard to prevent highlights ing out with landscape shots. Particularly with Australian lighting conditions which tend to have a lot more than 5 stops range of contrast. And while I often don't mind the sky ing out a bit, the lens is sufficiently prone to purple fringing with high contrast and over-exposure, that it's a bit of a nuisance. I tend to use it on aperture priority most of the time (depth of field control - I'm still fighting the auto focus a bit - although I find that remembering to put on my reading glasses when looking at the LCD helped a lot to master the manual focus!!) and set the Exposure compensation down a bit. The one stop stripes on the histogram background are a big help in judging just how much compensation to use.. But I mainly take portraits and macro stuff at the moment - I've bodged together a bounce flash set-up by mounting my old flash and the G3 on a bracket, and connecting the flash unit to a slave sensor. The onboard flash triggers the slave unit, and with the G3 I can set the flash manually so it doen't pre-flash and confuse things. The G3's own flash set to minimum provides enough light to fill in the shadows from the bounce (or I can put my hand over it if i really want just the external flash!) The bracket balances much better than a large hotshoe mounted flashon a little camera
    susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  10. #10

    hmmm... Amazon has the upgrade at $134.99

    SES
    --
    [url]http://www.sarantos.com[/url]
    Listen to the Universe and Dance to the Rhythm of it-*SES*

  11. #11

    And I got mine cheaper than the canadian price at Business Depot, as well.

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  12. #12

    "Shea Harrison" <sheasprayingdevices.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a graphic tablet that I can use in Photoshop. I've never
    use one before and I'm not sure which brand is most recommended. I heard
    Wacom was a good brand. Please help.

    In case you hadn't guessed by the other posts Wacom is "the" brand. As far
    as Graphire2 vs Intuos2 the main factor (other than size) is what type of
    tools you want to use with it. If you're handy with an airbrush the Intuos2
    is probably the way to go and you can buy an airbrush accessory for the
    Intuos2 that you can't for the Graphire. If you're looking for using
    implements other than the standard pen the Intuos2 is the way to go. I have
    an Intuos 6x8 and love it (even if I don't use it near enough to justify the
    price I paid for it a few years ago), but I bought it just before the first
    Graphire's came out. If I had to choose again I could very likely go for
    the Graphire instead.

    Lee Miller Guest

  13. #13

    Christina,
    What kind of work are you using your tablet for?
    Shea
    Shea Harrison Guest