Professional Web Applications Themes

Graphics: Edit Original > Photoshop> Update > show changes - Adobe Indesign Windows

WinXP Pro SP2, IDCS2: When using "Edit Original", once i have made my changes to the Image in Photoshop, can i simply Update or "Refresh" the Image to show the changes in my InDesign Doent view?...

  1. #1

    Default Graphics: Edit Original > Photoshop> Update > show changes

    ATS16805@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    If using edit original, you don't need to update anything...it's done
    automatically when you return to ID.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    hmm. maybe i don't have it configured properly. i should have mentioned that i'm using Photoshop 6, if that makes any difference.
    I'll describe my process, but i must give a brief background to help the readers understand what i'm doing.

    Designing a catalog for our company, i've started collecting and shooting photos several weeks ago. In order to sort through my images, and have a better idea of what photo's i haven't shot yet, i made a local "digital" catalog by making HTML pages, basically mirroring our textual pricelist. I've collected all of my images in seperate folders dependent upon which category they belong. As i'm preparing the print catalog in IDCS2, i'm referencing the html pages, following the image properties to find their location. these images, by default from our Nikon digital camera, are RGB. I place the RGB image in IDCS2, then click Edit Original. It opens in ACD See 7, and from there, i open it in photoshop (perhaps this is what i must change). when i'm finished w/ it in photoshop 6, i save it as a TIF w/ Photoshop's Export Transparent Image wizard, into a sub-folder i'm calling CMYK.
    Back to IDCS2, my workaround has been to select the instance of the RGB image, use File>Place, find the new CMYK transparent b/g image, and select it, thereby replacing the original RGB image w/ my new CMYK image. it works, for now. i was trying a different approach when i wanted to simply update. i believe my current process is probably best for my situation-- since i'd like to leave the RGB images for the digital catalog.

    sorry for the extraordinarily long message, but perhaps someone might learn something, or maybe have a suggestion for a better way to handle this project.. that would be excellent!!

    thanks!
    ATS16805@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you edit original and save using an InDesign - Photoshop - InDesign
    process the image will be updated automatically. If you use any other
    workflow it probably won't. But if the image isn't updated automatically in
    InDesign the links palette will show a yellow triangle against the link,
    calling for you to refresh the image.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the help! I'm guessing i need to figure out how to make Photoshop reclaim the file-associations as the default editor. is there a setting in IDCS2 prefs?
    ATS16805@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Your problem is that your camera is probably saving the file as a JPG and
    you are converting it to TIF in Photoshop. InDesign won't automatically
    update one file type with another. You really need to convert the files from
    JPG to TIFF before you place them in InDesign, then InDesign will open them
    in Photoshop for editing and automatically update the version in the
    doent.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you. That makes sense. I probably should have done it when i was organizing the original JPG's. At this point, it would probably be no faster than the way i'm doing it. All i need to do to update it is simply ensure that the RGB jpg is selected, then replace it by pointing to my new TIF. Destop Publishing experts are probably getting a good laugh right now. hehe. oh well, gotta learn somehow.
    ;)

    thanks for the tips!
    ATS16805@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Does anyone know how to set the preference so that Edit Original opens the image in Photoshop... this works great on my machine, but images open in a browser preview for other users. I've looked in the manual, help and books and can't figure out how to designate the images open in Photoshop.
    Paul_B_Wallen@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    They need to have the file extensions associated with Photoshop. You can do that from Windows Explorer, by selecting Folder Options from the Tools menu, then choosing File Types. If you're using CS2, you can also do it from Bridge - from the Edit menu, choose Preferences, then choose File Type Associations.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Assuming that you are using Windows, in XP you go to the control panel, select "Folder Options", go to "File Types", find the extension you want, select "Change", then locate Photoshop and set it as the default program to open the file type with. Lee Pierce
    Lee_Pierce@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    [Correcting Myself]

    Setting an association in Bridge has no effect on what application opens a Linked file from InDesign. It affects only what applications open files from within Bridge.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest