    Removed by Administrator
    Don Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. #2

    Default Re: Graphics Window, one more time

    This is an add-on to the prior post:

    I want to use my somewhat low-end Kogi flat panel display which does have a
    wide range of display modes, but it can't lock on to my graphics window. It
    says "out of range".

    Whenever I allow the system to re-create svga.xgi it comes up with the same
    model every time, so it is reading the video adapter.

    I tried to manually install another graphics adapter in scoadmin for just
    one console window, but it seems that you can't select just one screen, it's
    all or none.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  3. #3

    Don Williams typed (on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:40:57PM +0000):
    | The only thing I have noticed is that on boot:
    |
    | "/etc/tcbck: /tcb/bin/cps is not executing"
    |
    | No idea what that program does

    Have you thought to type 'man cps' ?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  4. #4

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message

    Thanks for the suggestion and I had bone there.

    I printed fixmog, integrity, cps (same printout as fixmog), fixperm, and
    tcbck.

    fixmog and cps report that /tcp/bin/integrity is missing

    but it's there in

    ope/K/Sco/Unix/5.0.6Ga/tcb/bin

    along with cps, and all the others.

    I did a view of integrity and it's a string of escape, control characters,
    and numbers and it's dated at the time of the original install. The
    programs there are all set to x for root. Nothing seems to be changed in
    that directory, and I haven't been there ever.

    I may just try booting unix.safe to see what happens, otherwise no idea.

    Thanks

    DAW

    Don Guest

  5. #5

    Don Williams typed (on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 09:33:04PM +0000):

    | "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message
    | > Don Williams typed (on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:40:57PM +0000):
    | > | The only thing I have noticed is that on boot:
    | > |
    | > | "/etc/tcbck: /tcb/bin/cps is not executing"
    | > |
    | > | No idea what that program does
    | >
    | > Have you thought to type 'man cps' ?
    |
    | Thanks for the suggestion and I had bone there.
    |
    | I printed fixmog, integrity, cps (same printout as fixmog), fixperm, and
    | tcbck.

    Printed them? Why?

    | fixmog and cps report that /tcp/bin/integrity is missing
    |
    | but it's there in
    |
    | ope/K/Sco/Unix/5.0.6Ga/tcb/bin
    |
    | along with cps, and all the others.

    If those files' symlinks have gone missing, I will go out on a limb and
    state that your graphics problems are insoluble, because I'll infer that
    you've got a lot of other broken things. See what a custom-verify run
    tells you.

    But I wouldn't trust a custom-verify-fix_what's_broken cycle to cure all
    the ills -- I think you need to bite the bullet, use my savefiles (at
    ftp.jpr.com), make a couple of master backups, and re-install the OS.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  6. #6

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message

    As my other note says I checked the man pages on cps and all related
    subjects. I have since then booted unix.safe, a very old kernel, and got
    the same message, so I guess it's not in the kernel itself.

    I can get my work done for now so it's probably best to let this rest for
    now and not distract others with the problem. Just have no idea what might
    have brought it on.

    Thanks,

    Don Williams
    rr.com

    Don Guest

  7. #7

    Default "cps is not executable", Re: Graphics Window, one more time

    Don Williams wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion and I had bone there.
    >
    > I printed fixmog, integrity, cps (same printout as fixmog), fixperm, and
    > tcbck.
    >
    > fixmog and cps report that /tcp/bin/integrity is missing
    >
    > but it's there in
    >
    > ope/K/Sco/Unix/5.0.6Ga/tcb/bin
    >
    > along with cps, and all the others.[/ref]

    It's hard to focus on any one of your problems when you keep introducing
    others along the way. You conflate various problems that have nothing
    to do with each other, in a really confusing manner. You also make a
    lot of typos in places where, if you had made the same typo while
    sitting at your command prompt, it would definitely have failed. It's
    hard to tell whether you're having trouble because you have told the
    _system_ "/tcp/bin/cps", which is wrong; or you only mistyped that when
    trying to describe the problem.

    /tcb/bin/integrity is an executable binary, of course you cannot read it
    as if it was straight text.

    There's absolutely nothing about this problem to suggest that the kernel
    is bad. This is like saying "The turn signals on my car weren't
    working, so for a test I replaced the engine..."

    If "fixmog and cps report that /tcp/bin/integrity is missing", don't
    _describe_ that to us. Cut and paste the _actual error message_
    produced by each utility (along with the command line you used to get
    the error message). Then we'll have some idea what's really going on.

    At a wild guess, might the symlink from /opt/K/Sco/Unix/5.0.6Ga/tcb/bin
    to /tcb/bin be missing?

    Bela Guest

  8. #8

    Don Williams wrote:

    I expected it to come up with the same _model_. The differences would
    be in the hexidecimal gibberish in the "MEMORY" statements, and maybe
    some other things. When you say it came up "the same", did you actually
    use the computer to compare the files (`diff svga.xgi.orig svga.xgi`),
    or did you just compare them by eye?

    Not so. The user interface is a little bersome, but you can change
    any of the console multiscreens independent of each other. I'm doing it
    right now for a test (doing it from a text screen, not from within X):

    # scoadmin video
    [cursor starts out on "Modify..."]
    [I hit <Enter>]
    [Dialog box "Select the video adapter to configure (1 adapter
    detected)" -- this step might not happen for you; cursor on "OK"]
    [I hit <Enter>]
    [cursor on "Change Monitor..."]
    [I hit <DownArrow> twice, cursor now on "Add Resolution..."]
    [I hit <Enter>]
    [Dialog box "Resolution Configuration"]
    [I hit <DownArrow> a bunch of times, choose a 640x480 resolution]
    [I hit <TAB>, cursor now on "OK"; hit <Enter>]
    [Dialog box "Function Key Setup", cursor on "OK"]
    [I hit <TAB>, <DownArrow> to light up "Specify function keys."]
    [I hit <TAB> and then <Enter> on "OK"]
    [Dialog box "Specify Function Keys", cursor on "OK"]
    [I hit <TAB>, then <DownArrow> and <RightArrow> until cursor is on
    "F12"; then <Space> to light it up]
    [I hit <TAB> and then <Enter> on "OK"]
    [After this I choose "OK" about 6 times]

    Doing this from within X is similar, but the action is all done with a
    mouse so it's far more natural.

    Bela Guest

  9. #9

    Don Williams wrote:

    The "content" that you are missing is created by
    /usr/lib/X11/sys.startxrc -- the file whose .orig you were going to put
    back. I say "were going to" because now you are calling it "the
    Xservers script", and I really have no idea what you're fiddling with
    now. :-(

    But assuming it _is_ /usr/lib/X11/sys.startxrc: did you really put back
    the original one, unmodified, or did you edit it back to what you
    thought it should look like? If the contents of sys.startxrc are wrong,
    a blank X display with a working mouse is a very likely outcome.

    Other than comments, the entire contents of that file look like:

    if [ -f /usr/bin/X11/scosession ]
    then
    exec scosession 2> /dev/null
    else {
    exec scoterm 2> /dev/null &
    exec pmwm 2> /dev/null
    }
    fi

    This is Bourne shell code. Something as simple as a missing space could
    completely break the script.

    Bela Guest

  10. #10

    Response is inserted as appropriate-

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    have a [/ref]
    It [/ref]
    same

    > I expected it to come up with the same _model_. The differences would
    > be in the hexidecimal gibberish in the "MEMORY" statements, and maybe
    > some other things. When you say it came up "the same", did you actually
    > use the computer to compare the files (`diff svga.xgi.orig svga.xgi`),
    > or did you just compare them by eye?[/ref]

    I compared them by eye and by size and by printout. The new one which is
    created is identical to the one I renamed.
     [/ref]
    just [/ref]
    it's

    > Not so. The user interface is a little bersome, but you can change
    > any of the console multiscreens independent of each other. I'm doing it
    > right now for a test (doing it from a text screen, not from within X):
    >
    > # scoadmin video
    > [cursor starts out on "Modify..."]
    > [I hit <Enter>]
    > [Dialog box "Select the video adapter to configure (1 adapter
    > detected)" -- this step might not happen for you; cursor on "OK"]
    > [I hit <Enter>]
    > [cursor on "Change Monitor..."]
    > [I hit <DownArrow> twice, cursor now on "Add Resolution..."]
    > [I hit <Enter>]
    > [Dialog box "Resolution Configuration"]
    > [I hit <DownArrow> a bunch of times, choose a 640x480 resolution]
    > [I hit <TAB>, cursor now on "OK"; hit <Enter>]
    > [Dialog box "Function Key Setup", cursor on "OK"]
    > [I hit <TAB>, <DownArrow> to light up "Specify function keys."]
    > [I hit <TAB> and then <Enter> on "OK"]
    > [Dialog box "Specify Function Keys", cursor on "OK"]
    > [I hit <TAB>, then <DownArrow> and <RightArrow> until cursor is on
    > "F12"; then <Space> to light it up]
    > [I hit <TAB> and then <Enter> on "OK"]
    > [After this I choose "OK" about 6 times]
    >
    > Doing this from within X is similar, but the action is all done with a
    > mouse so it's far more natural.
    > [/ref]

    Thanks, I'll try that. I did, however, get the links all fixed, then ran a
    full software verify at the Strict Database compliance level. There were
    199 files with discrepancies and 353 total discrepancies. One was fixed,
    permissions on tcbck and that problem is gone.

    All the rest are file size and checksum errors reported as (not
    automatically fixable).

    I have a hard copy of the report but am not sure where to go to change the
    values or even whether I should bother.

    I will change one console and see how that works. Strange thing is that the
    flat panel display has more modes than my old Acer, but the Acer syncs right
    up. I haven't tried a graphic terminal on the CRT yet since I'll first try
    your fix above.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  11. #11

    > > Thanks for the suggestion and I had bone there.
    > >
    > > I printed fixmog, integrity, cps (same printout as fixmog), fixperm, and
    > > tcbck.
    > >
    > > fixmog and cps report that /tcp/bin/integrity is missing
    > >
    > > but it's there in
    > >
    > > ope/K/Sco/Unix/5.0.6Ga/tcb/bin
    > >
    > > along with cps, and all the others.[/ref]
    >
    > It's hard to focus on any one of your problems when you keep introducing
    > others along the way. You conflate various problems that have nothing
    > to do with each other, in a really confusing manner. You also make a
    > lot of typos in places where, if you had made the same typo while
    > sitting at your command prompt, it would definitely have failed. It's
    > hard to tell whether you're having trouble because you have told the
    > _system_ "/tcp/bin/cps", which is wrong; or you only mistyped that when
    > trying to describe the problem.
    > [/ref]
    characters, [/ref]
    in

    > /tcb/bin/integrity is an executable binary, of course you cannot read it
    > as if it was straight text.

    > There's absolutely nothing about this problem to suggest that the kernel
    > is bad. This is like saying "The turn signals on my car weren't
    > working, so for a test I replaced the engine..."
    >
    > If "fixmog and cps report that /tcp/bin/integrity is missing", don't
    > _describe_ that to us. Cut and paste the _actual error message_
    > produced by each utility (along with the command line you used to get
    > the error message). Then we'll have some idea what's really going on.
    >[/ref]
    They were reported as not found, just as you suggest. [/ref]

    Yes, a simple link repair from scoadmin fixed that problem and fixmog, and
    cps both work just fine.

    Now to do something about those file size and checksum errors I got with the
    Srict database compliance run.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  12. #12

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    2 [/ref]
    which [/ref]
    not [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    was an [/ref]
    was [/ref]
    screen. [/ref]
    great. [/ref]
    removing [/ref]
    are [/ref]
    corner.

    > The "content" that you are missing is created by
    > /usr/lib/X11/sys.startxrc -- the file whose .orig you were going to put
    > back. I say "were going to" because now you are calling it "the
    > Xservers script", and I really have no idea what you're fiddling with
    > now. :-(
    >
    > But assuming it _is_ /usr/lib/X11/sys.startxrc: did you really put back
    > the original one, unmodified, or did you edit it back to what you
    > thought it should look like? If the contents of sys.startxrc are wrong,
    > a blank X display with a working mouse is a very likely outcome.
    >
    > Other than comments, the entire contents of that file look like:
    >
    > if [ -f /usr/bin/X11/scosession ]
    > then
    > exec scosession 2> /dev/null
    > else {
    > exec scoterm 2> /dev/null &
    > exec pmwm 2> /dev/null
    > }
    > fi
    >
    > This is Bourne shell code. Something as simple as a missing space could
    > completely break the script.
    > [/ref]

    I actually moved the sys.startxrc file to sys.startxrc.save

    and copied the sys.startxrc.org to sys.startxrc

    I'm looking at a hard copy of the current file and it is exactly the same as
    the one you produce above, plus comments, including version 1.3 89/04/04 and
    another comment about Not starting the last client in the background. The
    only difference between the two files were the two lines inserted at the top
    of the file, as pointed out by the URL discussion you mentioned. I decided
    to copy the orig file back in and not delete the two lines from the file
    that was in place.

    Remember that I did have a working graphics screen at one time. Now to see
    if I can bring it back up after fixing those broken links.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Don Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. #14

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote:

    Well, often people don't understand the relationship of the kernel
    to the rest of the system. And, to draw the ogy out even more,
    if the turn signals aren't working because the battery is dead because
    the engine won't run.. by which I mean to suggest that sometimes
    people learn that inexplicable problems go away by rebooting or
    booting with an older kernel, so they apply that magic to situations
    that really don't make sense: the engine is obviously running, the
    headlights are on, so the dead turn signals aren't going to be helped
    by an engine transplant. But: that transplant may necessitate rewiring
    the electrical system, and that might fix the problem, so once again
    our neophyte learns the wrong lesson.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  15. #15

    <com> wrote in message news:bmosoc$23q$std.com...

    > Well, often people don't understand the relationship of the kernel
    > to the rest of the system. And, to draw the ogy out even more,
    > if the turn signals aren't working because the battery is dead because
    > the engine won't run.. by which I mean to suggest that sometimes
    > people learn that inexplicable problems go away by rebooting or
    > booting with an older kernel, so they apply that magic to situations
    > that really don't make sense: the engine is obviously running, the
    > headlights are on, so the dead turn signals aren't going to be helped
    > by an engine transplant. But: that transplant may necessitate rewiring
    > the electrical system, and that might fix the problem, so once again
    > our neophyte learns the wrong lesson.
    > --
    > com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    > Get paid for writing about tech: http://aplawrence.com/publish.html
    >[/ref]

    My experience is that unless you are someone working with the internals of
    Unix, you don't know for sure what is in the kernel and what is not.

    This is complicated by the fact that the SCO OpenServer Handbook suggests
    booting with unix.old or unix.safe if something doesn't work which did work
    in the past.

    Regarding "cps is not executable", a link rebuild fixed all that. No idea
    why some of the symbolic links got lost, or why the permissions on tcbck got
    changed, but the system repaired them when asked to.

    While on this subject, does anyone know where the reference numbers are
    stored for file sizes and checksums, as reported by a System Verify Report
    with Strict database compliance? Should we worry about the errors reported
    or simply ignore them because they might have come from a very old install,
    since updated?

    DAW

    Don Guest

  16. #16

    In article <rNWjb.25738$socal.rr.com>,
    Don Williams <rr.com> wrote:

    >> Well, often people don't understand the relationship of the kernel
    >> to the rest of the system. And, to draw the ogy out even more,
    >> if the turn signals aren't working because the battery is dead because
    >> the engine won't run.. by which I mean to suggest that sometimes
    >> people learn that inexplicable problems go away by rebooting or
    >> booting with an older kernel, so they apply that magic to situations
    >> that really don't make sense: the engine is obviously running, the
    >> headlights are on, so the dead turn signals aren't going to be helped
    >> by an engine transplant. But: that transplant may necessitate rewiring
    >> the electrical system, and that might fix the problem, so once again
    >> our neophyte learns the wrong lesson.
    >> --
    >> com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    >> Get paid for writing about tech: http://aplawrence.com/publish.html
    >>[/ref][/ref]

    You can see that yours is not isolated otherwise an OS would not
    need a tool to restore things. :-(

    The concept of the links looks good on paper and I've seen the
    whitepaper and charts on it - but transfering from concept to the
    real world it turns out to be one of the worst things SCO did as
    the general consensus indicates.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  17. #17

    "Bill Vermillion" <comREMOVE> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref][/ref]
    kernel [/ref][/ref]
    rewiring [/ref][/ref]
    http://aplawrence.com [/ref]

    > You can see that yours is not isolated otherwise an OS would not
    > need a tool to restore things. :-(
    >
    > The concept of the links looks good on paper and I've seen the
    > whitepaper and charts on it - but transfering from concept to the
    > real world it turns out to be one of the worst things SCO did as
    > the general consensus indicates.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com[/ref]

    I don't know that SCO originated the links concept. I have in my hands an
    Altos Unix manual dated December 1988 and it refers to links. There are
    several Trademarks listed, for example "UNIX" is listed as an AT&T
    trademark. SCO is not mentioned.

    I have several even older Unix books which refer to links, but in a slightly
    different context, and again SCO is not mentioned.

    Seems to me that ln has been around for a long time to avoid having multiple
    copies of a file, or to have a second name for a file or command. Whether
    this is what SCO defines as a "symbolic link" I don't know.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  18. #18

    In article <Is2kb.31781$socal.rr.com>,
    Don Williams <rr.com> wrote: [/ref]
    >kernel [/ref]
    >rewiring [/ref]
    >http://aplawrence.com
    >>

    >> You can see that yours is not isolated otherwise an OS would not
    >> need a tool to restore things. :-(
    >>
    >> The concept of the links looks good on paper and I've seen the
    >> whitepaper and charts on it - but transfering from concept to the
    >> real world it turns out to be one of the worst things SCO did as
    >> the general consensus indicates.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >> --
    >> Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com[/ref][/ref]

    I was refering to the way SCO installs the OS in a base directory
    under /var/opt and then makes links into the traditional
    directories from those files.

    I was talking about the concept of the OS that SCO used. I had
    assumed you understood that the real OS files were hidden from mere
    mortals.

    I never said SCO originated the links. I've used *n*x systems
    virtually full time for the past 20 years. When SCO brought
    out the OSR series their links were not greated very warmly.

    The original links were for files on the same file system only and
    they probably go back to version 6. I know they are in my Unix
    manual with the Bell Labs logo on the cover. And that's a version
    7.

    Symlinks were the lifesavers as they were pointers to files
    anywhere even on separate file systems.

    I moved to another SysV OS while waiting for SCO to get the
    symlinks into their system.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest