Professional Web Applications Themes

Graphics Window Setup - SCO

I'm running Open Server 5.0.6 and long ago I disabled the graphics window that was opened by default on tty02 because I didn't need it. Actually it was more simple than that. Whenever I work I use several windows and got tired of having to push ctrl-alt-F1, or whatever to get out of the tty02 graphics window. Now I need one. I have been through the steps in the SCO OpenServer Handbook, and got to the point that the selected window, tty08, did present a graphics window, but only in a flashing form. Right now I'm looking for the notebook ...

  1. #1

    Default Graphics Window Setup

    I'm running Open Server 5.0.6 and long ago I disabled the graphics window
    that was opened by default on tty02 because I didn't need it. Actually it
    was more simple than that. Whenever I work I use several windows and got
    tired of having to push ctrl-alt-F1, or whatever to get out of the tty02
    graphics window. Now I need one.

    I have been through the steps in the SCO OpenServer Handbook, and got to the
    point that the selected window, tty08, did present a graphics window, but
    only in a flashing form.

    Right now I'm looking for the notebook where I kept all that stuff and for
    the original 5.0.6 CD (found all the prior ones) but if anyone has a quick
    way to set up a graphics screen on a selected tty please drop me a note off
    list. (I say off list because I feel sort of stupid at this point.)

    Thanks,

    Don Williams
    rr.com
    rr.com

    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Graphics Window Setup

    "Don Williams" <rr.com> expounded in

    It sounds like you've already got OSR 5 automatically starting the desktop
    ("scologin enable"?), but FWIW, instead of that you could just log in on a
    regular text console screen and use startx to start the desktop manually.
    That way it's only running when you actually need it.

    The "flashing form" suggests something is wrong somewhere (eg. OSR 5 is
    using the wrong drivers or an unsupported screen resolution). You don't
    say what you've tried, but "mkdev graphics" should let you select the
    graphics card and monitor and set the resolution for different console
    screens (I assume "mkdev graphics" still works under 5.0.6). That might be
    a good place to start if you haven't already.

    OTOH, I'm having an apparently similar problem on my OSR 5.0.5 system and
    I haven't been able to fix it using "mkdev graphics". Whenever I enter
    startx I get garbled graphics (eg. a twisted mix of colors in only the
    bottom 1/3 of the screen). I've tried lots of different settings in "mkdev
    graphics" for the graphics card, monitor and resolution, to no avail. It
    used to work. It doesn't now. I've thought about posting a message about
    it here sometime, but the fact is I don't really need the desktop, so I
    just haven't gotten around to it.
    My point is, if your problem really is similar to mine, simply making sure
    those settings are correct may not be enough, but it's a place to start.

    James
    James Guest

  3. #3

    James J wrote:

    Well, you just broached the subject, but without enough information.
    What kind of graphics adapter do you have? What does `mkdev graphics`
    call it? What resolutions have you tried (give their full names from
    `mkdev graphics`). Try IBM VGA 640x480-256, does that work?

    Bela Guest

  4. #4

    "Don Williams" <rr.com> wrote in message news:<G3Jib.40514$socal.rr.com>...

    Don,

    You probably ran

    scologin disable

    to disable scologin on tty02.

    scologin enable

    should enable it again.

    Not sure what command you are running from the OpenServer Handbook,
    maybe startx, but the flashing would seem to indicate that maybe
    your video card is not set up correctly. Run

    scoadmin video

    to configure this.

    John
    John Guest

  5. #5

    John Boland typed (on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:26:09AM -0700):
    | "Don Williams" <rr.com> wrote in message news:<G3Jib.40514$socal.rr.com>...
    | > I'm running Open Server 5.0.6 and long ago I disabled the graphics window
    | > that was opened by default on tty02 because I didn't need it. Actually it
    | > was more simple than that. Whenever I work I use several windows and got
    | > tired of having to push ctrl-alt-F1, or whatever to get out of the tty02
    | > graphics window. Now I need one.
    | >
    | > I have been through the steps in the SCO OpenServer Handbook, and got to the
    | > point that the selected window, tty08, did present a graphics window, but
    | > only in a flashing form.
    | >
    | > Right now I'm looking for the notebook where I kept all that stuff and for
    | > the original 5.0.6 CD (found all the prior ones) but if anyone has a quick
    | > way to set up a graphics screen on a selected tty please drop me a note off
    | > list. (I say off list because I feel sort of stupid at this point.)
    |
    | You probably ran
    |
    | scologin disable
    |
    | to disable scologin on tty02.
    |
    | scologin enable
    |
    | should enable it again.
    |
    | Not sure what command you are running from the OpenServer Handbook,
    | maybe startx, but the flashing would seem to indicate that maybe
    | your video card is not set up correctly. Run
    |
    | scoadmin video
    |
    | to configure this.

    You don't need to "enable scologin" at all if you don't want to.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  6. #6

    "John Boland" <com> wrote in message
    news:<G3Jib.40514$socal.rr.com>... [/ref]
    window [/ref]
    it [/ref]
    got [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    but [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    quick [/ref]
    off

    > Don,
    >
    > You probably ran
    >
    > scologin disable
    >
    > to disable scologin on tty02.
    >
    > scologin enable
    >
    > should enable it again.
    >
    > Not sure what command you are running from the OpenServer Handbook,
    > maybe startx, but the flashing would seem to indicate that maybe
    > your video card is not set up correctly. Run
    >
    > scoadmin video
    >
    > to configure this.
    >
    > John[/ref]

    Most likely that's what I did when I disabled the graphics screen on tty02,
    that is "disable scologon" because it was very simple.

    I've made things complicated since the initial install because I have done
    two things since then:

    1. Installed an AGP Card
    2. Installed a patch which forces Open Server to understand that the video
    card is a CGA. This makes character mode work just fine. Before that patch
    I couldn't see anything on the screen. This patch became necessary when I
    changed the mother board to an Intel D845EBT2. I have some concern about
    running mkdev graphics because I don't want to disrupt what that patch did,
    at least until I find my SCO notebook, see below.

    At the moment I'm looking for my current Open Server 5.0.6 Kit, which
    includes a notebook with all the partition data (5 partitions, etc) and
    other notes, as well as the installation CD. We had a house fire and things
    sort of got scrambled. I have a box with 3-4 earlier CD's and several
    versions of the SCO OpenServer Handbook. In the handbook there are
    descriptions of several files related to graphics, and what they do. I went
    through the ones which seemed important and, after making backup copies,
    modified them to include a tty number, whatever. Scologin is always
    running. Startx fails, forgot the result, probably nothing, but I'll try
    that again when I leave here and boot into Unix again.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  7. #7

    Don Williams wrote:

     [/ref]

    `mkdev graphics` will not disrupt that patch. If the patch makes your
    system see its video card as a CGA, you aren't running the official
    release of that patch. The official release is a BTLD named "ivga",
    released as oss653a (found in the usual FTP places).

    Well, you can learn all about your partitions and divisions with this
    script:

    ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/admin/divisions

    Of course that will not retrieve your install CD or other notes, but
    it's a start...

    Bela Guest

  8. #8

    In article <G3Jib.40514$socal.rr.com>, Don
    Williams <rr.com> wrote:

    I also use several consoles and thats why I always put the
    the graphics over on the tty12. It's there when I need it but
    it's out of the way - even for an accidental switch onto another
    screen.

    First thing to do is decide which terminal you wish to use
    and disable that in the inittab file. I use tty12 as I said.
    Just make sure the word :off: is there while all the other say
    :respawn:

    Then since you want the server to come up on something other
    than the default tty02 go to /usr/lib/X11/scologin and
    and edit the file called Xservers.

    The default as you will obviosly see if tty02. Change that to
    whatever you want and that part is done.

    Now, if you are like me [and for your sake I hope you aren't] you
    probably don't want this coming up on reboot obscuring all the boot
    messages.

    To fix this look at your inittab. You'll see scl entries .

    If you don't have a space and the word no_switch after
    the P86scologin start line, you may want to add that.

    I honestly don't recall the command line sequence to add that
    so I stuck it in manually, and if you rebuilt the system and it
    asks you to remake the environment that goes away unless you add it
    to the conf files under etc.

    That will start the server up, but shortly after the server
    starts and before a screen comes up, you are back at
    your console screen and seeing the rest of the login messages.

    I prefer that mode myself. And looking at the file that I did that
    on it was July 1999 when I last did that. I guess my memory
    isn't that bad after all.

    It was a good day when I found the no_switch argument.

    Somethings are underdoented.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    In article <G3Jib.40514$socal.rr.com>,
    Don Williams <rr.com> wrote:

    Second reply. That was probalby because you had getty running
    on that tty with a respawn.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  10. #10

    "James J" <net> wrote in message

    > It sounds like you've already got OSR 5 automatically starting the[/ref]
    desktop
    be
    "mkdev
    sure

    Unix thinks the graphics device for the console is:
    VESA SiS
    Standard VGA
    VESA SiS VBE (3.0) 1024X768 256-color

    and the same for all 12 screens.

    Windows thinks it is a SiS 300/305 AGP, which it is.

    Don't know specifically which since I did a round of box-tossing a while
    back and the SiS chip is covered by a heat sink. The actual card is another
    brand, just using the SiS chip. I think it's a 32 MB AGP but not sure at
    the moment since the SiS "identifier" program reports some other
    manufacturer which I know is wrong.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  11. #11

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    "mkdev [/ref]
    It [/ref]
    about

    > Well, you just broached the subject, but without enough information.
    > What kind of graphics adapter do you have? What does `mkdev graphics`
    > call it? What resolutions have you tried (give their full names from
    > `mkdev graphics`). Try IBM VGA 640x480-256, does that work?
    > [/ref]

    It reports:
    VESA SiS VBE (3.0) 1024X768 256-color

    But of course this is a patched system and is running an AGP card.

    OSR 5.0.6 ran fine with this card until the motherboard upgrade to the Intel
    845, as discussed in the OSS653A ltr.

    The BIOS update didn't fix the problem when I booted with an installation
    CD, same as before the patch.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  12. #12

    news:<G3Jib.40514$socal.rr.com>... [/ref]
    window [/ref]
    it [/ref]
    got [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    but [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    quick [/ref]
    off

    > Don,
    >
    > You probably ran
    >
    > scologin disable
    >
    > to disable scologin on tty02.
    >
    > scologin enable
    >
    > should enable it again.
    >
    > Not sure what command you are running from the OpenServer Handbook,
    > maybe startx, but the flashing would seem to indicate that maybe
    > your video card is not set up correctly. Run
    >
    > scoadmin video
    >
    > to configure this.
    >
    > John[/ref]

    Well, no gold star so far.

    "scologin enable" comes back with "scologin is already running."

    DAW

    Don Guest

  13. #13

    Don Williams wrote:

    > > Well, you just broached the subject, but without enough information.
    > > What kind of graphics adapter do you have? What does `mkdev graphics`
    > > call it? What resolutions have you tried (give their full names from
    > > `mkdev graphics`). Try IBM VGA 640x480-256, does that work?
    > > [/ref]
    >
    > It reports:
    > VESA SiS VBE (3.0) 1024X768 256-color
    >
    > But of course this is a patched system and is running an AGP card.
    >
    > OSR 5.0.6 ran fine with this card until the motherboard upgrade to the Intel
    > 845, as discussed in the OSS653A ltr.
    >
    > The BIOS update didn't fix the problem when I booted with an installation
    > CD, same as before the patch.[/ref]

    I was actually asking James. If I remember right, you said that the
    problem with your system was that the graphics screen "blinks", but I'm
    really not getting much of a mental picture from that. Do you mean that
    it _works_, but is unusable because the whole display blinks on and off?
    Describe the problem better.

    One thing you might try (and James as well) is:

    # cd /usr/lib/grafinfo/vesa
    # mv svga.xgi svga.xgi.orig
    # scoadmin graphics

    This will cause a new "svga.xgi" to be created, reflecting current
    conditions in your machine. I wouldn't normally expect a BIOS update to
    change anything that this depends on, but I can imagine it happening.
    So it's definitely worth a try. Once `scoadmin graphics` comes up,
    choose a sensible resolution and color depth for your display, then try
    `startx`.

    Bela Guest

  14. #14

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message
> [...]
    window
    Actually it
    got
    tty02
    to the
    but
    for
    quick
    note off

    > --
    > JP[/ref]

    Well, it turns out that "startx" results in a blank screen, a bit of
    flashing images which look like the graphics login window (1 second or so),
    then after a further wait, a message "waiting for x server to shut down".
    Then I get the root # prompt again.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  15. #15

    > [/ref][/ref]
    === snip === [/ref]
    tty02, [/ref]
    done [/ref]
    video [/ref]
    patch [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    about [/ref]
    did,

    > `mkdev graphics` will not disrupt that patch. If the patch makes your
    > system see its video card as a CGA, you aren't running the official
    > release of that patch. The official release is a BTLD named "ivga",
    > released as oss653a (found in the usual FTP places).
    > [/ref]
    things [/ref]
    went [/ref]
    try

    > Well, you can learn all about your partitions and divisions with this
    > script:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/admin/divisions
    >
    > Of course that will not retrieve your install CD or other notes, but
    > it's a start...
    > [/ref]

    Hi, I found everything, including the instructions for the old patch done in
    the blind. [I also have all the SCO stuff back in hand. It wasn't that far
    lost after all, just assembled in a separate kit from the older SCO stuff.]

    I will look up that script though. I do have printouts of the divvy
    operations so I should be able to re-create them without losing anything if
    I upgrade to 5.0.7. I've gone through that a couple of times in the past
    and never lost anything. Just lucky I guess, with 5 Unix partitions to deal
    with.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  16. #16

    Don Williams typed (on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:05:44PM +0000):

    | "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message
    |
    | > John Boland typed (on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:26:09AM -0700):
    | > | "Don Williams" <rr.com> wrote in message

    | > |
    | > | You probably ran
    | > |
    | > | scologin disable
    | > |
    | > | to disable scologin on tty02.
    | > |
    | > | scologin enable
    | > |
    | > | should enable it again.
    | > |
    | > | Not sure what command you are running from the OpenServer
    | > | Handbook, maybe startx, but the flashing would seem to indicate
    | > | that maybe your video card is not set up correctly. Run
    | > |
    | > | scoadmin video
    | > |
    | > | to configure this.
    | >
    | > You don't need to "enable scologin" at all if you don't want to.
    | >
    | > >From a shell prompt on any of the multiscreens, just type "startx".
    | >
    | > -- JP
    |
    | Well, it turns out that "startx" results in a blank screen, a bit of
    | flashing images which look like the graphics login window (1 second
    | or so), then after a further wait, a message "waiting for x server to
    | shut down". Then I get the root # prompt again.

    Is there anything to be gleaned from /usr/lib/X11/scologin/Xerrors?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  17. #17

    "James J" <net> wrote in message

    > It sounds like you've already got OSR 5 automatically starting the[/ref]
    desktop
    be
    "mkdev
    sure

    Bela points out there is a BTL, OSS653A, to fix the initial VGA Recognition
    problem with some mother boards.

    The ltr for that loader mentions the Intel 845 series boards (what I have),
    and some IBM, Gateway, and Compaq systems and systems using AMI Bios issued
    between early 2002 and mid-2003.

    I upgraded to Bios Version P10 which is dated 08/08/2003. That's the latest
    I could find as of a few days ago and it doesn't fix the problem.

    I'm running a manually patched version of 5.0.6 but when I set the system to
    boot from the OSR 5.0.6 CD I get a blank screen and then a flashing cursor,
    no text, which is how it all started after the mother board change. This is
    what caused the need for a patch.

    I don't know whether that problem has been fixed in 5.0.7 because the ltr
    mentions that the BTL can be used with 5.0.2, 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, and
    5.0.7. Seems that if it were fixed in 5.0.7 that wouldn't be mentioned in
    the lttr about the BTL.

    My Open Server thinks the graphics device is a VESA SiS, Standard VGA, VESA
    SiS VBE (3.0) 1024X768 256-color.

    I don't know whether that came from the OS recognizing the board or from the
    patch I typed in to force the system to be forced unconditionally to set for
    a VGA card.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  18. #18

    Don Williams wrote:

    That sounds like there's something bogus in your startxrc (that would be
    $HOME/.startxrc if it exists, else /usr/lib/X11/sys.startxrc).

    Try starting a bare X server:

    /usr/bin/X11/X

    If it works, you get a blank GUI -- stippled screen with a mouse cursor
    that you can move, and nothing else. To get out of that, hit Alt-SysRq.
    This is meant as a test -- you can't really do anything with the bare X
    server, but it tells you if the X server itself is working.

    Bela Guest

  19. #19

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref][/ref]
    system and [/ref][/ref]
    enter [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    "mkdev [/ref][/ref]
    avail. It [/ref][/ref]
    about [/ref][/ref]
    so I

    > > It reports:
    > > VESA SiS VBE (3.0) 1024X768 256-color
    > >
    > > But of course this is a patched system and is running an AGP card.
    > >
    > > OSR 5.0.6 ran fine with this card until the motherboard upgrade to the[/ref][/ref]
    Intel [/ref]
    installation

    > I was actually asking James. If I remember right, you said that the
    > problem with your system was that the graphics screen "blinks", but I'm
    > really not getting much of a mental picture from that. Do you mean that
    > it _works_, but is unusable because the whole display blinks on and off?
    > Describe the problem better.
    >
    > One thing you might try (and James as well) is:
    >
    > # cd /usr/lib/grafinfo/vesa
    > # mv svga.xgi svga.xgi.orig
    > # scoadmin graphics
    >
    > This will cause a new "svga.xgi" to be created, reflecting current
    > conditions in your machine. I wouldn't normally expect a BIOS update to
    > change anything that this depends on, but I can imagine it happening.
    > So it's definitely worth a try. Once `scoadmin graphics` comes up,
    > choose a sensible resolution and color depth for your display, then try
    > `startx`.
    > [/ref]

    Actually what I did was the following, based on the OpenServer Handbook,
    temporarily-

    Added one active line to Xservers which was empty:
    :0 local /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -crt /dev/tty08

    found a file, sys.startxrc.orig and copied it to sys.startxrc (saving the
    sys.startxrc which was running).
    The two files were identical except that the one from 2001 had two lines up
    front with [ ] around them. It has an internal date of 89/04/04.
    This is the one active now.

    I pondered doing something about P86scologin at the line:
    NO_SWITCH=no_switch
    but didn't.

    After those two changes, running startx on tty08 brought up the graphics log
    in screen but it was flashing very rapidly. I could actually log in there
    betweeen flashes, but could go no further so I closed everything and set all
    the files back where they were. That was as close as I got to getting a
    graphics screen up.

    I'll do without graphics for now.

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  20. #20

    "Bill Vermillion" <com> wrote in message news:com... [/ref]
    it
    > [/ref]
    the

    > Second reply. That was probalby because you had getty running
    > on that tty with a respawn.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com[/ref]

    That seems worth a look.