Professional Web Applications Themes

Grass is Greener? - Macromedia Freehand

From the interesting side note file: I was preparing a job to go out to a Trade Show Display vendor. Here is a snippet from their file requirements: "Acceptable Applications: Quark XPress 4,5 / FreeHand 8, 9, 10 / Illustrator 9, 10** **(Additional charges will apply - if you use the new features like transparency, or drop shadowing; it will cause major production printing problems and may result in a file that is unprintable). To eliminate, please avoid using these new features! If you need to use these features, please set up your artwork in Photoshop." So for all of ...

  1. #1

    Default Grass is Greener?

    From the interesting side note file:

    I was preparing a job to go out to a Trade Show Display vendor. Here is
    a snippet from their file requirements:


    "Acceptable Applications: Quark XPress 4,5 / FreeHand 8, 9, 10 /
    Illustrator 9, 10**

    **(Additional charges will apply - if you use the new features like
    transparency, or drop shadowing; it will cause major production printing
    problems and may result in a file that is unprintable). To eliminate,
    please avoid using these new features! If you need to use these
    features, please set up your artwork in Photoshop."


    So for all of you who are jealous over or snotty about Illustrators
    "seamless" raster effects, I guess everyone is not so happy with them.
    Also note that typically this vendor only deals with Ink jet Wide
    Format, RGB,100 DPI printing, for their output. So this has nothing to
    do with outputting to film, CMYK or high resolution issues.

    Rich
    Rich Hudgins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    After seeing the huge amount of confusion generated by Raster Effects in
    FHMX, I've been thinking FreeHand users need a huge wall 'road map' showing
    all possible (and impossible) Input/Output routes.

    Input vehicles would include all object types, stroke types, fill types,
    raster effects, all ink types (spot, CMYK, hexachrome) and color formats,
    all raster image types with or without clipping paths, alpha channels,
    layers, all file types (EPS, PDF, AI), etc.

    Output destinations would include CMYK seps, spot seps, Postscript,
    non-Postscript, RGB inkjets, raster formats, EPS files, SWF, PDF, etc.

    Every possible combination of input/output would be mapped. Navigable routes
    would be green, roadblocks red. There'd be many more roadblocks than
    navigable routes, I'm afraid. You'd only have to run your finger along the
    desired route to see if your chosen 'vehicle' could reach the target
    destination.

    Hmm, maybe we could turn it into a board game. Include 'Workaround
    Detours'. For example, you'd get extra bonus points for getting an Extruded
    objects to output to spot inks. Toll bridges could be expensive third-party
    applications you'd need to get to your destination. The international
    airport in the corner would take you to ... well, I don't even want to go
    there. ;-)

    Judy Arndt

    Rich Hudgins wrote:
    > From the interesting side note file:
    >
    > I was preparing a job to go out to a Trade Show Display vendor. Here is
    > a snippet from their file requirements:
    >
    >
    > "Acceptable Applications: Quark XPress 4,5 / FreeHand 8, 9, 10 /
    > Illustrator 9, 10**
    >
    > **(Additional charges will apply - if you use the new features like
    > transparency, or drop shadowing; it will cause major production printing
    > problems and may result in a file that is unprintable). To eliminate,
    > please avoid using these new features! If you need to use these
    > features, please set up your artwork in Photoshop."
    >
    >
    > So for all of you who are jealous over or snotty about Illustrators
    > "seamless" raster effects, I guess everyone is not so happy with them.
    > Also note that typically this vendor only deals with Ink jet Wide
    > Format, RGB,100 DPI printing, for their output. So this has nothing to
    > do with outputting to film, CMYK or high resolution issues.
    >
    > Rich
    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    Ok, how about this: A dialog box that appears when you open a new
    file that asks questions about output intent and then only
    enables those features which will work for your selections. No
    more picking RGB colors when you are doing a CMYK brochure.

    dp

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > After seeing the huge amount of confusion generated by Raster Effects in
    > FHMX, I've been thinking FreeHand users need a huge wall 'road map' showing
    > all possible (and impossible) Input/Output routes.
    >
    > Input vehicles would include all object types, stroke types, fill types,
    > raster effects, all ink types (spot, CMYK, hexachrome) and color formats,
    > all raster image types with or without clipping paths, alpha channels,
    > layers, all file types (EPS, PDF, AI), etc.
    >
    > Output destinations would include CMYK seps, spot seps, Postscript,
    > non-Postscript, RGB inkjets, raster formats, EPS files, SWF, PDF, etc.
    >
    > Every possible combination of input/output would be mapped. Navigable routes
    > would be green, roadblocks red. There'd be many more roadblocks than
    > navigable routes, I'm afraid. You'd only have to run your finger along the
    > desired route to see if your chosen 'vehicle' could reach the target
    > destination.
    >
    > Hmm, maybe we could turn it into a board game. Include 'Workaround
    > Detours'. For example, you'd get extra bonus points for getting an Extruded
    > objects to output to spot inks. Toll bridges could be expensive third-party
    > applications you'd need to get to your destination. The international
    > airport in the corner would take you to ... well, I don't even want to go
    > there. ;-)
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > Rich Hudgins wrote:
    >
    >
    >>From the interesting side note file:
    >>
    >>I was preparing a job to go out to a Trade Show Display vendor. Here is
    >>a snippet from their file requirements:
    >>
    >>
    >>"Acceptable Applications: Quark XPress 4,5 / FreeHand 8, 9, 10 /
    >>Illustrator 9, 10**
    >>
    >>**(Additional charges will apply - if you use the new features like
    >>transparency, or drop shadowing; it will cause major production printing
    >>problems and may result in a file that is unprintable). To eliminate,
    >>please avoid using these new features! If you need to use these
    >>features, please set up your artwork in Photoshop."
    >>
    >>
    >>So for all of you who are jealous over or snotty about Illustrators
    >>"seamless" raster effects, I guess everyone is not so happy with them.
    >>Also note that typically this vendor only deals with Ink jet Wide
    >>Format, RGB,100 DPI printing, for their output. So this has nothing to
    >>do with outputting to film, CMYK or high resolution issues.
    >>
    >>Rich
    >
    >
    David Plank Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    Or how about *fixing* those features so that they work for the range of
    output options we all need?
    I like that idea better, if I do say so myself.


    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    Cool idea! Just make sure you don't use any raster effects when you design
    the board...

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:18:01 -0600, Judy Arndt <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote:
    >
    > Hmm, maybe we could turn it into a board game. Include 'Workaround
    > Detours'. For example, you'd get extra bonus points for getting an
    > Extruded
    > objects to output to spot inks. Toll bridges could be expensive
    > third-party
    > applications you'd need to get to your destination. The international
    > airport in the corner would take you to ... well, I don't even want to go
    > there. ;-)
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:57:12 -0400, David Plank <plankdalltel.net>
    wrote:
    >Ok, how about this: A dialog box that appears when you open a new
    > file that asks questions about output intent and then only
    >enables those features which will work for your selections. No
    >more picking RGB colors when you are doing a CMYK brochure.
    >
    >dp
    >
    >Judy Arndt wrote:
    >
    >> After seeing the huge amount of confusion generated by Raster Effects in
    >> FHMX, I've been thinking FreeHand users need a huge wall 'road map' showing
    >> all possible (and impossible) Input/Output routes.
    >>
    >> Input vehicles would include all object types, stroke types, fill types,
    >> raster effects, all ink types (spot, CMYK, hexachrome) and color formats,
    >> all raster image types with or without clipping paths, alpha channels,
    >> layers, all file types (EPS, PDF, AI), etc.
    >>
    >> Output destinations would include CMYK seps, spot seps, Postscript,
    >> non-Postscript, RGB inkjets, raster formats, EPS files, SWF, PDF, etc.
    >>
    >> Every possible combination of input/output would be mapped. Navigable routes
    >> would be green, roadblocks red. There'd be many more roadblocks than
    >> navigable routes, I'm afraid. You'd only have to run your finger along the
    >> desired route to see if your chosen 'vehicle' could reach the target
    >> destination.
    >>
    >> Hmm, maybe we could turn it into a board game. Include 'Workaround
    >> Detours'. For example, you'd get extra bonus points for getting an Extruded
    >> objects to output to spot inks. Toll bridges could be expensive third-party
    >> applications you'd need to get to your destination. The international
    >> airport in the corner would take you to ... well, I don't even want to go
    >> there. ;-)
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt
    >>
    >> Rich Hudgins wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>From the interesting side note file:
    >>>
    >>>I was preparing a job to go out to a Trade Show Display vendor. Here is
    >>>a snippet from their file requirements:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>"Acceptable Applications: Quark XPress 4,5 / FreeHand 8, 9, 10 /
    >>>Illustrator 9, 10**
    >>>
    >>>**(Additional charges will apply - if you use the new features like
    >>>transparency, or drop shadowing; it will cause major production printing
    >>>problems and may result in a file that is unprintable). To eliminate,
    >>>please avoid using these new features! If you need to use these
    >>>features, please set up your artwork in Photoshop."
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>So for all of you who are jealous over or snotty about Illustrators
    >>>"seamless" raster effects, I guess everyone is not so happy with them.
    >>>Also note that typically this vendor only deals with Ink jet Wide
    >>>Format, RGB,100 DPI printing, for their output. So this has nothing to
    >>>do with outputting to film, CMYK or high resolution issues.
    >>>
    >>>Rich
    >>
    >>
    Your map (flowchart) idea is great Judy. Maybe, just maybe, you could
    create it in your spare time? <grin>

    Something like that would be a good asset for any user. I know it
    would save me lots of time and answer lots of questions. It would be
    even more handy if you produced it in a flip-book format. I would
    even pay the going rate for such a product.

    I suppose I'm dreaming, huh? If I had your expertise, I think I might
    even attempt such a project. Thanks for all the help you freely give.
    JoeMM Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    But serioiusly folks...

    I'd ask that vendor how long it has been since they updated their
    requirement specs. I mean, they can't print PDFs?

    JET


    James E. Talmage Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?


    The company's wide format printer needs RGB input. While getting RGB artwork
    into a clean RGB PDF is not impossible, it's tricky. There's quite a variety
    of RGB definitions in spot color libraries. That's probably why they'd
    rather have the FH and AI files so they can convert colors in the original
    doent as needed.

    Judy Arndt

    James E. Talmage wrote:
    > But serioiusly folks...
    >
    > I'd ask that vendor how long it has been since they updated their
    > requirement specs. I mean, they can't print PDFs?
    Judy Arndt Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    Joe,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to help out where I can.

    Don't hold your breath on the flowchart idea. The thought of trying to work
    out all the permutations gives me a headache! I think it's something that
    should be provided with a purchase of FreeHand. Maybe they'd learn a thing
    or two about the usability (and pitfalls) of their own software when trying
    to put the chart together.

    Judy Arndt


    JoeMM wrote:
    > Your map (flowchart) idea is great Judy. Maybe, just maybe, you could
    > create it in your spare time? <grin>
    >
    > Something like that would be a good asset for any user. I know it
    > would save me lots of time and answer lots of questions. It would be
    > even more handy if you produced it in a flip-book format. I would
    > even pay the going rate for such a product.
    >
    > I suppose I'm dreaming, huh? If I had your expertise, I think I might
    > even attempt such a project. Thanks for all the help you freely give.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    And why is the asterisk applied to AI10, but not AI9? AI9 was the advent of
    all the on-the-fly raster effects.

    JET


    James E. Talmage Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    Yeah, and exactly how many people were on the grassy knoll, anyway? Hmmm???

    "James E. Talmage" <JETnospamIllustrationETC.com> wrote in message
    news:cafjfr$8pi$1forums.macromedia.com...
    > And why is the asterisk applied to AI10, but not AI9? AI9 was the advent
    of
    > all the on-the-fly raster effects.
    >
    > JET
    >
    >

    Joel Berry Guest

  12. #12

    Default Re: Grass is Greener?

    Sounds like that printer will be going out of business soon, or they need to
    upgrade their systems to keep up with technology. Its not our fault they get
    left behind is it? I know great printers that can print all the raster FX with
    no problems..hmmm.

    Guess it all depends on the printer...

    -Runnerman

    Runnerman12 Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Creating a grass strip
    By mmpup in forum Macromedia Freehand
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 9th, 03:27 AM
  2. How do I make grass greener?
    By Allyson Kesler in forum Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 9th, 04:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139