Professional Web Applications Themes

Grayscale art prints as CMYK with color separations in Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Product name: Illustrator CS Version: 11.0.0 Operating System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1 Computer: Dell Workstation PWS650 w/dual Intel(r) Xeon(tm) 2.40 Ghz Printer: Xerox DocuColor 3535 How much RAM: 1 GB Artwork created as/converted to grayscale shows/prints as CMYK (separations) no matter how, or how many times, it is converted to grayscale. I have selected "Grayscale" from the Color Mode pop-up menu. I have created a 100%k color swatch and used it to apply black from. Nothing seems to work. The software continues to register CMYK seperations from a supposed grayscale image, and the separations all print ...

  1. #1

    Default Grayscale art prints as CMYK with color separations in Illustrator

    Product name: Illustrator CS
    Version: 11.0.0
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1
    Computer: Dell Workstation PWS650 w/dual Intel(r) Xeon(tm) 2.40 Ghz
    Printer: Xerox DocuColor 3535
    How much RAM: 1 GB

    Artwork created as/converted to grayscale shows/prints as CMYK (separations) no matter how, or how many times, it is converted to grayscale.

    I have selected "Grayscale" from the Color Mode pop-up menu. I have created a 100%k color swatch and used it to apply black from. Nothing seems to work. The software continues to register CMYK seperations from a supposed grayscale image, and the separations all print as blank pages.

    Suggestions?
    Doodle_Dud@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Are you working in a CMYK doent or an RGB doent?
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    CMYK.

    Is indicates CMYK both under "Doent Color Mode" under the "File" menu as well as in the window header, up where the name of the file is indicated when a doent window is open.
    Doodle_Dud@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    and the separations all print as blank pages.

    What do you mean by that?
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I will try to explain.

    Recall that we are working only with a fully-grayscale image (box filled with 100%k).

    If I choose 'File/Print', select 'Output' and from the 'Mode' drop-down menu and select 'Separations', I see that all 4 plates show but only one plate indicates it will print, which is K.

    Everything is good so far.

    If I deselect the 'K' plate and try to print, I get a dialog box which indicates "The pages selected to print do not contain any inks that will produce plates".

    This is obvious. If no plates are selected, then nothing should print.

    The confounding problem, however, is that when I select the 'C', 'M', and 'Y' plates and go print, the software sends the job, which comes out of the printer as blank pages.

    I can't seem to get the software to recognize that the image is only grayscale. It keeps thinking the image is full-color CMYK even though there is no other color besides black.

    This failure to create a truly grayscale image is causing a huge problem. When I place the supposed grayscale image into InDesign CS, InDesign thinks the image is still CMYK, and not grayscale like it should be.

    Really plays havoc with a one-color set-up.

    Clear as mud?
    Doodle_Dud@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    and 'Y' plates and go print, the software sends the job, which comes out
    of the printer as blank pages.

    This is normal behavior with certain conditions.

    How is this image placed into Illustrator and what format is it?

    What is the color mode of the image? (Look in Doent info palette and look either in embedded images or linked images so it can list the color type)

    What format did you place into InDesign?

    with 100%k).

    If it is a linked format or depending on the makeup of the image, the black swatch indicated in the fill does not necessarily mean that it is only grayscale.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    It sounds like everything is working properly to me.

    Grayscale info in a CMYK doent should print on the black seperation only.

    To decide to output the C M and Y even though there is nothing on it seems silly.

    So don't do it.

    I work for a printer and if I outputted every plate that my customers' files would generate, I would be hip-deep in bad plates.

    So make sure the job seperates properly and output only the plates you need
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    John asked:
    "How is this image placed into Illustrator and what format is it?"

    Not sure what you mean by 'format' but the issue originally presented itself when using .ai files. For the sake of simplicity, all I am doing at the moment is creating a fresh, new doent and then making a plain 'ol square using the square-making tool from the toolbar, filling it with 100%K and either printing it or placing it into InDesign CS.

    John asked:
    "What is the color mode of the image? (Look in Doent info palette and look either in embedded images or linked images so it can list the color type)"

    After checking, I see the following:

    Linked Images = NONE
    Embeded Images = NONE

    Again, For the sake of simplicity, all I am doing at the moment is creating a fresh, new doent and then making a plain 'ol square using the square-making tool from the toolbar, filling it with 100%K and either printing it or placing it into InDesign CS.

    John asked:
    What format did you place into InDesign?

    Illustrator format.

    John mentioned:
    If it is a linked format or depending on the makeup of the image, the black swatch indicated in the fill does not necessarily mean that it is only grayscale.

    The feedback is greatly appreciated, but I don't understand what it means. What I get from it is that just because a fill indicates 100%K does not mean it is recognized as being greyscale? Does this hold true even if I have ensured the image to be grayscale by selecting "Grayscale" from the Color Mode pop-up menu?

    Thank you for your efforts in this matter.
    Doodle_Dud@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    AI format is basically a pdf format. (InDesign sees the pdf compatible format within the ai format)

    PDF files ALWAYS contain CMYK channels regardless if they contain image in the channels or not. There is no getting around this.

    Every prepress person worth their salt is aware of this. Also, every prepress knows how to suppress blank channels when outputting.

    If you do not want the blank channels to be in InDesign, place an EPS instead.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Mr. Slate says:
    It sounds like everything is working properly to me.

    I wish that were true,. Unfortunately . . .

    Mr. Slate says:
    Grayscale info in a CMYK doent should print on the black seperation only.

    An astute synopsis. However, if the information is truly grayscale, the CMY plates should have no reason to print.

    Mr. Slate says:
    To decide to output the C M and Y plates even though there is nothing on them seems silly.

    Merely a troubleshooting effort. I'm hoping that by forcing it to print the plates (which it shouldnt) I might be able to track down where the "color" is coming from.

    Common sense seems to indicate that if there is no color in the doent, there is no need to create a plate, and any plate that is created shouldnt print . . . even when forced to.

    Common sense!?!? We are talking computers, here.
    Doodle_Dud@adobeforums.com Guest