Professional Web Applications Themes

Great option for people that us Macs and PCs - Mac Applications & Software

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, San Diego Guy wrote: > Anyway, I have my machine with Jaguar and my XP machine. > I went on Ebay and got a $57.00 USB KVM switch, then went to the store and > got a GREAT USB keyboard (by Logitech) that can be used on a Mac or PC and > has keys for both (meaning the MS specific keys and the Mac specific keys). > > Anyway.. hooked everything up with my USB and now I can switch back and > forth between Windows and Jaguar using the same Keyboard, Video and ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Great option for people that us Macs and PCs

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, San Diego Guy wrote:
    > Anyway, I have my machine with Jaguar and my XP machine.
    > I went on Ebay and got a $57.00 USB KVM switch, then went to the store and
    > got a GREAT USB keyboard (by Logitech) that can be used on a Mac or PC and
    > has keys for both (meaning the MS specific keys and the Mac specific keys).
    >
    > Anyway.. hooked everything up with my USB and now I can switch back and
    > forth between Windows and Jaguar using the same Keyboard, Video and Mouse
    > (KVM). :)
    Check out Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client for OS X. Free and a really,
    really good program.

    KeS
    Kevin_Stevens@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    San Diego Guy wrote:
    > I went on Ebay and got a $57.00 USB KVM switch, then went to the store and
    > got a GREAT USB keyboard (by Logitech) that can be used on a Mac or PC and
    > has keys for both (meaning the MS specific keys and the Mac specific keys).
    I did something similar, but I used a first generation USB KVM switch...
    the results are more than a little unpleasant, but still better than
    always having to switch the cables around.

    A Logitech keyboard is a necessity for someone who uses other
    Mac/Windows machines, since without the Logitech drivers the keyboard
    layouts are different.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  3. #3

    San Diego Guy wrote:
    > Hi all!
    > I am in the process of seeing if I can realistically switch over to OSX from
    > using windows and linux as long as I've been using computers (ok, so I was
    > using DOS before windows)..
    >
    > Anyway, I have my machine with Jaguar and my XP machine.
    > I went on Ebay and got a $57.00 USB KVM switch, then went to the store and
    > got a GREAT USB keyboard (by Logitech) that can be used on a Mac or PC and
    > has keys for both (meaning the MS specific keys and the Mac specific keys).
    >
    > Anyway.. hooked everything up with my USB and now I can switch back and
    > forth between Windows and Jaguar using the same Keyboard, Video and Mouse
    > (KVM). :)
    >
    > Hope this info helps someone.
    > Steve

    Has anyone here successfully put Windows/Linux/Mac boxen and a Sun
    machine on a KVM switch? Sun machines can have rather weird monitor
    cables- not to mention the rearranged control key.

    cheers.

    moon Guest

  4. #4

    moon <harvest-thismail.utexas.edu> writes:
    > San Diego Guy wrote:
    > > Hi all!
    > > I am in the process of seeing if I can realistically switch over to OSX from
    > > using windows and linux as long as I've been using computers (ok, so I was
    > > using DOS before windows)..
    > > Anyway, I have my machine with Jaguar and my XP machine.
    >
    > > I went on Ebay and got a $57.00 USB KVM switch, then went to the store and
    > > got a GREAT USB keyboard (by Logitech) that can be used on a Mac or PC and
    > > has keys for both (meaning the MS specific keys and the Mac specific keys).
    > > Anyway.. hooked everything up with my USB and now I can switch back
    > > and
    >
    > > forth between Windows and Jaguar using the same Keyboard, Video and Mouse
    > > (KVM). :)
    > > Hope this info helps someone.
    >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Has anyone here successfully put Windows/Linux/Mac boxen and a Sun
    > machine on a KVM switch? Sun machines can have rather weird monitor
    > cables- not to mention the rearranged control key.
    I have---at my last job I had a Sun box, Windows box (PS/2), and a Mac
    (USB) running off a KVM that took it's input from a USB mouse/keyboard
    and output to a VGA 15-pin d-sub.

    I'll see if I can find out who made it. It wasn't cheap.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta
    [email]richkaszeta.org[/email]

  5. #5

    In article <ZoGKa.103652$hd6.46832fed1read05>,
    "San Diego Guy" <sandiegguy> wrote:
    > Anyway, I have my machine with Jaguar and my XP machine.
    > I went on Ebay and got a $57.00 USB KVM switch, then went to the store and
    > got a GREAT USB keyboard (by Logitech) that can be used on a Mac or PC and
    > has keys for both (meaning the MS specific keys and the Mac specific keys).

    I use a DrBott (.com) 4-port USB KVM between 2 Macs and 2 PCs... it's a
    God-send. : )

    Equally fun: plugging the printer into the keyboard so that it's shared
    among 4 computers, too! KVM... P????

    "We really haven't done everything we could to protect our
    customers ... Our products just aren't engineered for security."
    -- Brian Valentine, Sr VP in charge of MS Windows' Dev Team
    Thom Rosario Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:35:55 -0700, Kevin Stevens
    <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    >In article <4ivmfv8dct5f37tih0d8e49vvr9giop1gc4ax.com>,
    > foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:09:44 -0700, [email]Kevin_Stevenshotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    >> >Check out Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client for OS X. Free and a really,
    >> >really good program.
    >>
    >> It's just very, very, VERY slow compared to RDC XP<->XP.
    >
    >What?! Slow??? Not on my machines (500MHz Pismo w/Airport, 1GHz PB17
    >w/Airport Extreme). It absolutely rocks; barely perceptibly slower than
    >watching the XP screen directly. Put it this way; I never walk the
    >twenty feet to my XP machine anymore unless I'm going to play a game.
    Try it with an XP <->XP RDP/RDC connection and compare that to how
    well the Mac <-> XP RDP/RDC connection handles it. The difference is
    amazing.

    Does it work? You bet. Is it faster than VNC while taking 1/20th the
    bandwidth? You bet - *worlds* faster; VNC is horrible. But it's
    still very slow compared to an XP-XP RDP/RDC connection. My P3/600
    connects via wireless 802.11b (11Mbps on a good day, 300k/s normally)
    and it's far faster than the Mac client (DP500), which has a wired
    100Mbps connection.
    foo Guest

  7. #7

    In article <b2sofv496sfb7t6sctuk2mp51do6c3b1ju4ax.com>,
    foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:35:55 -0700, Kevin Stevens
    > <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <4ivmfv8dct5f37tih0d8e49vvr9giop1gc4ax.com>,
    > > foo <foobar.com> wrote:

    > >> It's just very, very, VERY slow compared to RDC XP<->XP.
    > >
    > >What?! Slow??? Not on my machines (500MHz Pismo w/Airport, 1GHz PB17
    > >w/Airport Extreme). It absolutely rocks; barely perceptibly slower than
    > >watching the XP screen directly. Put it this way; I never walk the
    > >twenty feet to my XP machine anymore unless I'm going to play a game.
    >
    > Try it with an XP <->XP RDP/RDC connection and compare that to how
    > well the Mac <-> XP RDP/RDC connection handles it. The difference is
    > amazing.
    >
    > Does it work? You bet. Is it faster than VNC while taking 1/20th the
    > bandwidth? You bet - *worlds* faster; VNC is horrible. But it's
    > still very slow compared to an XP-XP RDP/RDC connection. My P3/600
    > connects via wireless 802.11b (11Mbps on a good day, 300k/s normally)
    > and it's far faster than the Mac client (DP500), which has a wired
    > 100Mbps connection.
    Why are we not surprised that a Mac app doesn't work *for you*?

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  8. #8

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:46:52 GMT, Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net>
    wrote:
    >In article <b2sofv496sfb7t6sctuk2mp51do6c3b1ju4ax.com>,
    > foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:35:55 -0700, Kevin Stevens
    >> <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:

    >> >What?! Slow??? Not on my machines (500MHz Pismo w/Airport, 1GHz PB17
    >> >w/Airport Extreme). It absolutely rocks; barely perceptibly slower than
    >> >watching the XP screen directly. Put it this way; I never walk the
    >> >twenty feet to my XP machine anymore unless I'm going to play a game.
    >>
    >> Try it with an XP <->XP RDP/RDC connection and compare that to how
    >> well the Mac <-> XP RDP/RDC connection handles it. The difference is
    >> amazing.
    >>
    >> Does it work? You bet. Is it faster than VNC while taking 1/20th the
    >> bandwidth? You bet - *worlds* faster; VNC is horrible. But it's
    >> still very slow compared to an XP-XP RDP/RDC connection. My P3/600
    >> connects via wireless 802.11b (11Mbps on a good day, 300k/s normally)
    >> and it's far faster than the Mac client (DP500), which has a wired
    >> 100Mbps connection.
    >
    >Why are we not surprised that a Mac app doesn't work *for you*?
    Typical - you can't attack what I say, so you attack me.

    It works. It's just very, very slow compared to an XP <-> XP
    connection.
    foo Guest

  9. #9

    foo wrote:
    > It works. It's just very, very slow compared to an XP <-> XP
    > connection.
    I've used 2000 <-> 2000 and 2000 <-> Mac and have never noticed any
    speed difference. I can't speak for XP though.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  10. #10

    I've never heard of this application, but installed it today and I'm
    amazed at the speed! I tried Virtual PC but found it way too slow.
    The Windows XP system I connect to is not fast anyway, and the display
    on the Mac is almost as fast. I have one less reason to sit at a
    Windows system now!

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  11. #11

    [email]brucebizsprin[/email] (Bruce) writes:
    >Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote in message news:<285ts-nl5.ln1pursued-with.net>...
    >> In article <4ivmfv8dct5f37tih0d8e49vvr9giop1gc4ax.com>,
    >> foo <foobar.com> wrote:

    >> > It's just very, very, VERY slow compared to RDC XP<->XP.
    >>
    >> What?! Slow??? Not on my machines (500MHz Pismo w/Airport, 1GHz PB17
    >> w/Airport Extreme). It absolutely rocks; barely perceptibly slower than
    >> watching the XP screen directly. Put it this way; I never walk the
    >> twenty feet to my XP machine anymore unless I'm going to play a game.
    >>
    >I've thought about the RDC option to connect to a monitor-less PC box.
    > Do you need to install anything on the Wintel box to make this work,
    >or is it built into the Windows OS (assume Windows 2000 or better)?
    Terminal Services (for administration) is built into Win2k server.
    I use a Linux client to get at our Win2k server in the office when
    I need to get to the console.

    Now, if only there was such a beastie for Linux I could use to create
    a virtual session on the Mac....

    -Stephen
    Stephen M. Adams Guest

  12. #12

    On 27 Jun 2003 20:36:26 GMT,
    Stephen M Adams (adamstdirecway.com) wrote:
    > Terminal Services (for administration) is built into Win2k server.
    > I use a Linux client to get at our Win2k server in the office when
    > I need to get to the console.
    >
    > Now, if only there was such a beastie for Linux I could use to create
    > a virtual session on the Mac....
    You have several choices.

    a) Install VNC on the Linux PC, and VNC client under OS X.
    VNC URL: [url]http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/[/url]
    VNC Clients: [url]http://versiontracker.com/mp/new_search.m?productDB=mac&mode=Quick&OS_Filter=Ma cOSX&search=VNC&x=0&y=0[/url]

    b) Install any X server under OS X -- Apple's works just fine, and
    use the X protocol to view your Linux session.

    Either works pretty well. VNC is easier to setup.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  13. #13

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, foo wrote:

    > >> Try it with an XP <->XP RDP/RDC connection and compare that to how
    > >> well the Mac <-> XP RDP/RDC connection handles it. The difference is
    > >> amazing.
    > >>
    > >> Does it work? You bet. Is it faster than VNC while taking 1/20th the
    > >> bandwidth? You bet - *worlds* faster; VNC is horrible. But it's
    > >> still very slow compared to an XP-XP RDP/RDC connection. My P3/600
    > >> connects via wireless 802.11b (11Mbps on a good day, 300k/s normally)
    > >> and it's far faster than the Mac client (DP500), which has a wired
    > >> 100Mbps connection.
    > >
    > >Why are we not surprised that a Mac app doesn't work *for you*?
    >
    > Typical - you can't attack what I say, so you attack me.
    >
    > It works. It's just very, very slow compared to an XP <-> XP
    > connection.
    What *I'm* saying is that in my experience, there's no way that the RDC
    connection from my two OS X machines to my WinXP box can be considered
    "very, very slow" compared to anything. It is so fast that there is very
    little headroom for improvement. While an XP <-> XP connection might be
    capable of being theoretically faster for some reason, practically it
    would not be a noticeable improvement. It's a moot point anyway since an
    XP <-> XP connection doesn't address the OP's goal of viewing an OS X and
    an XP system on the same monitor/keyboard setup. YMMV.

  14. #14

    wrote:
    >brucebizsprin (Bruce) writes:
    >>Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote in message news:<285ts-nl5.ln1pursued-with.net>...

    >>> What?! Slow??? Not on my machines (500MHz Pismo w/Airport, 1GHz PB17
    >>> w/Airport Extreme). It absolutely rocks; barely perceptibly slower than
    >>> watching the XP screen directly. Put it this way; I never walk the
    >>> twenty feet to my XP machine anymore unless I'm going to play a game.
    >>>
    >>I've thought about the RDC option to connect to a monitor-less PC box.
    >> Do you need to install anything on the Wintel box to make this work,
    >>or is it built into the Windows OS (assume Windows 2000 or better)?
    >
    >Terminal Services (for administration) is built into Win2k server.
    >I use a Linux client to get at our Win2k server in the office when
    >I need to get to the console.
    It's also built into XP Pro, too. Very handy. The XP Pro version is
    very, very fast.
    >Now, if only there was such a beastie for Linux I could use to create
    >a virtual session on the Mac....
    Sure there are.
    1. VNC (very slow, requires very high bandwidth)
    2. X (just SSH into Linux and redirect the output to Apple's X Window
    System implementation)

    #2 is better, IMHO.
    foo Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:08:28 -0700, [email]Kevin_Stevenshotmail.com[/email] wrote:
    >On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, foo wrote:

    >> >Why are we not surprised that a Mac app doesn't work *for you*?
    >>
    >> Typical - you can't attack what I say, so you attack me.
    >>
    >> It works. It's just very, very slow compared to an XP <-> XP
    >> connection.
    >
    >What *I'm* saying is that in my experience, there's no way that the RDC
    >connection from my two OS X machines to my WinXP box can be considered
    >"very, very slow" compared to anything.
    It's a comparison, granted, and there is interpretation in a
    comparison.
    >It is so fast that there is very
    >little headroom for improvement.
    I can tell it isn't local - it's obviously not local, and it's
    annoying every time I notice that. On a connection roughly 1/10th the
    speed and a fraction of the reliability (namely 802.11b) I can't tell
    it isn't local or can only barely tell (from time to time) that it
    isn't local - with the exception of FMV.
    >While an XP <-> XP connection might be
    >capable of being theoretically faster for some reason, practically it
    >would not be a noticeable improvement. It's a moot point anyway since an
    >XP <-> XP connection doesn't address the OP's goal of viewing an OS X and
    >an XP system on the same monitor/keyboard setup. YMMV.
    Comparison...
    foo Guest

  16. #16

    Tacit wrote:
    >>Has anyone here successfully put Windows/Linux/Mac boxen and a Sun
    >>machine on a KVM switch? Sun machines can have rather weird monitor
    >>cables- not to mention the rearranged control key.
    >

    > AFAIK, you can't do this easily.
    >
    > Belkin makes an adapter to let a Sun use a VGA monitor and standard PS/2
    > keyboard and mouse--I have one for my SPARC-20--but it only works with PS/2
    > keyboards, not USB keyboards.

    I /think/ that PS2 keyboard will be fine, don't really need USB.
    Generally what I am seeing is PS2 Mouse/KBD and VGA monitor as the
    console and USB/VGA inputs.
    The Sun monitor/keyboard is the stinker. The office is really getting
    cluttered:
    two Suns (with two different Monitor cables), a home-spun box for Linux
    (PS2 cables) and I will just run the Winderz junk on VPC.
    So I have four different inputs... sigh.

    So far, a spinny chair has been the solution.

    If you know of a KVM maker that would be sweet.

    cheers.

    moon Guest

  17. #17

    foo <foobar.com> writes:
    >On 27 Jun 2003 20:36:26 GMT, Stephen M. Adams <adamstdirecway.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>brucebizsprin (Bruce) writes:

    >>>I've thought about the RDC option to connect to a monitor-less PC box.
    >>> Do you need to install anything on the Wintel box to make this work,
    >>>or is it built into the Windows OS (assume Windows 2000 or better)?
    >>
    >>Terminal Services (for administration) is built into Win2k server.
    >>I use a Linux client to get at our Win2k server in the office when
    >>I need to get to the console.
    >
    >It's also built into XP Pro, too. Very handy. The XP Pro version is
    >very, very fast.
    >
    >>Now, if only there was such a beastie for Linux I could use to create
    >>a virtual session on the Mac....
    >
    >Sure there are.
    >1. VNC (very slow, requires very high bandwidth)
    >2. X (just SSH into Linux and redirect the output to Apple's X Window
    >System implementation)
    >
    >#2 is better, IMHO.
    Been there, done that. :-) I want to go the other way, so I can use
    the i* apps from my Linux box...

    -Stephen
    Stephen M. Adams Guest

  18. #18

    On 28 Jun 2003 02:14:55 GMT, Stephen M. Adams <adamstdirecway.com>
    wrote:
    >foo <foobar.com> writes:
    >
    >>On 27 Jun 2003 20:36:26 GMT, Stephen M. Adams <adamstdirecway.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Terminal Services (for administration) is built into Win2k server.
    >>>I use a Linux client to get at our Win2k server in the office when
    >>>I need to get to the console.
    >>
    >>It's also built into XP Pro, too. Very handy. The XP Pro version is
    >>very, very fast.
    >>
    >>>Now, if only there was such a beastie for Linux I could use to create
    >>>a virtual session on the Mac....
    >>
    >>Sure there are.
    >>1. VNC (very slow, requires very high bandwidth)
    >>2. X (just SSH into Linux and redirect the output to Apple's X Window
    >>System implementation)
    >>
    >>#2 is better, IMHO.
    >
    >Been there, done that. :-) I want to go the other way, so I can use
    >the i* apps from my Linux box...
    VNC. It's horribly slow, though, and eats bandwidth like mad.
    foo Guest

  19. #19

    Stephen M. Adams wrote:

    > Sorry - backwards from what I want. I want to display Apple sessions,
    > with the Apple interface, on my Linux PC. I already can get X-windows
    > from the Mac on the Linux box, and vice versa.

    get OSXvnc server. it works great, and you can connect from windows or
    linux.
    [url]http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11283[/url]

    johnny bobby bee Guest

  20. #20

    johnny bobby bee <steporeexcite.com> writes:
    >Stephen M. Adams wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry - backwards from what I want. I want to display Apple sessions,
    >> with the Apple interface, on my Linux PC. I already can get X-windows
    >> from the Mac on the Linux box, and vice versa.
    >>

    >get OSXvnc server. it works great, and you can connect from windows or
    >linux.
    >[url]http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11283[/url]
    If this works like the Windows VNC server, it's close - but not exactly
    what I need. On my M$ server, when I'm in terminal server, I have my
    own viritual connection - it doesn't affect the session connected to
    the display (ie it makes the system multi-user). I'll give it a try.

    -Stephen
    Stephen M. Adams Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast