Professional Web Applications Themes

GROUP: Opinions and info regarding PENTAX IST D/DS and Kit lens - Ken - Photography

Hello group.......... Wondering if anyone has used; and their impressions, and viewpoints (i've read the reveiws which seem positive). I'm Particulary interested in compatibility with older pentax lens. I'must say i'm not terribly familiar with pentax series lenses. cheers Ken...

  1. #1

    Default GROUP: Opinions and info regarding PENTAX IST D/DS and Kit lens - Ken

    Hello group..........

    Wondering if anyone has used; and their impressions, and viewpoints
    (i've read the reveiws which seem positive). I'm Particulary
    interested in compatibility with older pentax lens. I'must say i'm not
    terribly familiar with pentax series lenses.

    cheers

    Ken
    Ken Ellis Guest

  2. #2

    In article <ck4qq099h2er1p0ctqdi9ims2j4fmi1h684ax.com>,
    Ken Ellis <kenellisnycap.rr.com> wrote:
    >Hello group..........
    >
    >Wondering if anyone has used; and their impressions, and viewpoints
    >(i've read the reveiws which seem positive). I'm Particulary
    >interested in compatibility with older pentax lens. I'must say i'm not
    >terribly familiar with pentax series lenses.
    I've had a *ist-D for over a year now.

    With KA-mount lenses or later (basically anything since 1983) you
    get full capability (subject to lens features; you don't magically
    get auto-focus with non-AF lenses :-), with one exception; there
    are no power contacts for the KAF-2 power zoom lenses, so you are
    limited to manual zoom mode.

    With the older K-mount lenses (without an A aperture setting)
    you are restricted to what Pentax call hyper-manual mode. This
    is pretty much manual exposure mode, but with the ability to
    have the camera select what it considers to be the 'correct'
    shutter speed at the touch of a single button.

    In my case there wasn't really much of a choice what camera to
    buy; I've got several very nice Pentax lenses. But while I was
    waiting for Pentax to come up with a digital body I used a few
    of the other DSLRs: a Nikon D1, a D100, and a Canon EOS-10D.
    The D1 stands out from the others; it's built to a different
    standard. Apart from that, though, the others (and the *ist-D)
    are roughly comparable; there's not enough difference for the
    body to be the deciding factor when choosing a manufacturer.

    John Francis Guest

  3. #3

    On 30 Nov 2004 22:53:51 -0500, [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis) wrote:
    Pretty much what i was looking for. Thanks for the info John, i'll
    relay this to my friend who has pentax glass and wanted to do
    digital. I suspect it will be the ist ds actually.

    rgds

  4. #4

    "Ken Ellis" <kenellisnycap.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hello group..........
    >
    > Wondering if anyone has used; and their impressions, and viewpoints
    > (i've read the reveiws which seem positive). I'm Particulary
    > interested in compatibility with older pentax lens. I'must say i'm not
    > terribly familiar with pentax series lenses.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Ken

    Ljubo Guest

  5. #5

    > Pretty much what i was looking for. Thanks for the info John, i'll
    > relay this to my friend who has pentax glass and wanted to do
    > digital. I suspect it will be the ist ds actually.

    According to Pentax Sweden, the ist DS will not have hyper
    manual mode. So - the old K lenses will be slightly more
    bersome to use.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest

  6. #6

    In article <Xns95B618DF3B7Eklotjohan130.133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <roland_dot_karlssonbonetmail.com> wrote:
    >Ken Ellis <kenellisnycap.rr.com> wrote in
    >news:bkfuq05bjn6rhkmikicldh5ba4tkvuq7gv4ax.com :
    >
    >> Pretty much what i was looking for. Thanks for the info John, i'll
    >> relay this to my friend who has pentax glass and wanted to do
    >> digital. I suspect it will be the ist ds actually.
    >>

    >According to Pentax Sweden, the ist DS will not have hyper
    >manual mode. So - the old K lenses will be slightly more
    >bersome to use.
    According to people who actually have the camera in their hand,
    though, it behaves exactly as I described with the older K lenses.
    No more (or less) bersome with old lenses than the *ist-D.

    The absence of the full hyper-manual mode just means that you
    don't get that option with "A" or later lenses. If you want
    manual control available with any lens, you need the *ist-D.

    John Francis Guest

  7. #7

    [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis) wrote in news:cotk5n$sjd$1panix5.panix.com:
    > According to people who actually have the camera in their hand,
    > though, it behaves exactly as I described with the older K lenses.
    > No more (or less) bersome with old lenses than the *ist-D.
    OK.
    > The absence of the full hyper-manual mode just means that you
    > don't get that option with "A" or later lenses.
    OK.

    This sounds nice. I don't want hyper manual with newer lenses.
    > If you want
    > manual control available with any lens, you need the *ist-D.
    What lenses does not support manual control on DS but does so on D?

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest

  8. #8

    In article <Xns95B68FF37F056klotjohan130.133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <roland_dot_karlssonbonetmail.com> wrote:
    >johnfpanix.com (John Francis) wrote in news:cotk5n$sjd$1panix5.panix.com:
    >
    >> According to people who actually have the camera in their hand,
    >> though, it behaves exactly as I described with the older K lenses.
    >> No more (or less) bersome with old lenses than the *ist-D.
    >
    >OK.
    >
    >> The absence of the full hyper-manual mode just means that you
    >> don't get that option with "A" or later lenses.
    >
    >OK.
    >
    >This sounds nice. I don't want hyper manual with newer lenses.
    >
    >> If you want
    >> manual control available with any lens, you need the *ist-D.
    >
    >What lenses does not support manual control on DS but does so on D?
    A or later lenses (as noted above). You can get the restricted
    hyper-manual mode by moving the lens off the "A" position, but
    you don't get the open-aperture live metering you get with the
    true hyper-manual mode on the *ist-D. And, of course, if you
    have one of the FA-J lenses without an aperture control ring
    on the lens you don't even have that option - those lenses act
    as if they are permanently in the "A" position.

    I definitely *do* want hyper-manual available, even with newer
    lenses; there are times when I want to take full control of just
    what the camera is doing. The two most recent examples were:

    1) when I was shooting in low light, and had to juggle settings
    to keep the shutter speed in the hand-holdable range; it's a lot
    easier to set shutter and aperture, and just keep an eye on the
    exposure bar graph in the viewfinder

    2) shooting panormas, where I want to keep the same exposure
    for multiple frames which will later be stitched together.
    A few examples can be seen at <http://jfwaf.com/Panoramas/>

    John Francis Guest

  9. #9

    [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis) wrote in news:covnrb$3r8$1
    panix5.panix.com:
    >>> If you want
    >>> manual control available with any lens, you need the *ist-D.
    >>
    >>What lenses does not support manual control on DS but does so on D?
    >
    > A or later lenses (as noted above). You can get the restricted
    > hyper-manual mode by moving the lens off the "A" position, but
    > you don't get the open-aperture live metering you get with the
    > true hyper-manual mode on the *ist-D. And, of course, if you
    > have one of the FA-J lenses without an aperture control ring
    > on the lens you don't even have that option - those lenses act
    > as if they are permanently in the "A" position.
    >
    > I definitely *do* want hyper-manual available, even with newer
    > lenses; there are times when I want to take full control of just
    > what the camera is doing. The two most recent examples were:
    >
    > 1) when I was shooting in low light, and had to juggle settings
    > to keep the shutter speed in the hand-holdable range; it's a lot
    > easier to set shutter and aperture, and just keep an eye on the
    > exposure bar graph in the viewfinder
    >
    > 2) shooting panormas, where I want to keep the same exposure
    > for multiple frames which will later be stitched together.
    > A few examples can be seen at <http://jfwaf.com/Panoramas/>
    Ehem? I must miss something here. Is the *ist DS totally automatic
    for modern lenses. No manual settings at all? Sounds weird.
    Either i misunderstand you or you must be mistaken. Or?

    BTW -still according to Pentax's Swedish web site, it has manual
    settings. All other would be strange for an SLR.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest

  10. #10

    In article <Xns95B7BC78C81CDklotjohan130.133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <roland_dot_karlssonbonetmail.com> wrote:

    >Ehem? I must miss something here. Is the *ist DS totally automatic
    >for modern lenses. No manual settings at all? Sounds weird.
    >Either i misunderstand you or you must be mistaken. Or?
    ... or I lost a paragraph during editing, where I commented
    about the awkwardness of using the *ist-DS in manual mode
    (with a single control wheel) as compared to the two wheels
    of the *ist-D, and suggested that the *ist-DS was not a good
    choice for someone who frequently used manual exposure modes.

    John Francis Guest

  11. #11

    [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis) wrote in news:cp296s$5j8$1panix5.panix.com:
    > .. or I lost a paragraph during editing, where I commented
    > about the awkwardness of using the *ist-DS in manual mode
    > (with a single control wheel) as compared to the two wheels
    > of the *ist-D, and suggested that the *ist-DS was not a good
    > choice for someone who frequently used manual exposure modes.
    Ahhhh! Comprende.

    Then I have to take a look then at an actual camera before I buy one.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest