Professional Web Applications Themes

Grub did not install on dual boot machine. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear experts, On another Dell machine, I installed Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 last night. Twice, actually. There are two hard drives. XP is on the first hard drive, and also has the first partition for backup on the second drive. Linux is installed on the subsequent partitions on the second disk. Everything seemed to go well, except that, grub did not install. But the boot floppy worked. grub.conf seems to be fine. So it seems that there is something wrong with the MBR. I want grub to come up upon booting and give me the choice of Linux, or Windows, ...

  1. #1

    Default Grub did not install on dual boot machine.

    Dear experts,

    On another Dell machine, I installed Redhat Advanced
    Server 2.1 last night. Twice, actually.

    There are two hard drives. XP is on the first
    hard drive, and also has the first partition for
    backup on the second drive.

    Linux is installed on the subsequent partitions
    on the second disk.

    Everything seemed to go well, except that,
    grub did not install. But the boot floppy worked.
    grub.conf seems to be fine. So it seems that there
    is something wrong with the MBR.

    I want grub to come up upon booting and give me
    the choice of Linux, or Windows, just like on my
    other dual boot machine. This uses the MBR.

    I'm sure that the solution is to use grub-install.
    Will others concur with this? What is the exact
    syntax that I should use?

    Thanks a lot
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grub did not install on dual boot machine.

    com wrote:

    I prefer not to use grub-install because it burned me once, although not
    irrepairably. grub-install runs without prompts. If it finds something
    funky, it starts making assumptions. Linux on not-the-first-partition
    of not-the-first-drive probably may meet the definition of funky. I
    haven't tried grub-install lately, though. Anyway, manually:

    $ grub

    Make sure /boot/grub/grub.conf is setup with correct paths. If you have
    a /boot partition, you don't need "/boot" in grub.conf paths, otherwise
    you do need it.

    Allen Guest

  3. #3

    com wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    You proboably failed to install grub when you installed RH, or you
    installed grub to the boot sector of your /boot partition on hdb. You
    don't mention whether the XP loader is still installed and boots XP
    ok, but I'm assuming this is the case. Also assuming the boot disk
    you mention is a RH boot disk (not a grub boot disk).

    If you post your current grub.conf and fstab files and the output of
    the df command we could be sure (confident) what syntax to use to
    install grub.

    My standing hesitation about recommending grub in the MBR of a
    dual-boot with a Win OS is the fear that some dim witted Windows
    file/disk utility will scramble things. You have a boot disk, though,
    which you will need to keep current as you upgrade kernel images. I
    would also make a grub boot disk (see "info grub") as a way to
    recover.

    With grub in the MBR you should end up with a grub.conf similar to
    mine:
    [snip]
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-13.8) >>>got to update this box!
    root (hd0,1) >>> this will be different, _probably_ (hd1,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.8.img
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    Also check it against your other box till you undersand grub's naming
    syntax.

    If your RH seems ok other than the grub issue, then this should work
    (_assuming_ I've guessed right about your RH partitions) when entered
    as root:
    [root]# # grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hdb2(????) [/ref][/ref]

    The problem is that Anaconda has a habit of installing partitions
    where it thinks they should go. Most people don't notice this in the
    flurry of installing RH. This is why we really need to see just where
    your /boot (partition or directory) is located. The output of df will
    give us this.

    Once we know where /boot is physically located on hdb, we should be
    able to send back the correct syntax. Till then be sure to check:
    $ info grub >>>from prompt
    and read up on grub in the RH Installation Guide and the Reference
    Guide available here:
    https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled
    P Guest

  4. #4

    P Gentry wrote:

    And you can be 100% confident of getting reported to your ISP and to Google
    for violating the aow-xp charter, nuts.

    --
    Your Free Insult: Thou ascertaining, screaming, fawning fistula boohooing pygmy.

    Kadaitcha Guest

  5. #5

    Well, more surprises. I hope someone can help out.
    Any ideas?

    ----------------

    First, some history. Originally, I had made this a
    dual boot machine with Suse and lilo. To "deinstall"
    Suse, with my windows boot disk, I did:

    fdisk /mbr

    And only Windows booted, as planned.

    ------------------

    Now that I've installed Redhat Advanced Server, I can't
    get grub to work. I tried:

    /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

    it gave:

    grub>

    root (hd1,4)
    File system type unknown, partition type 0x6

    setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/grub (hd0)

    Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

    quit

    --------------------
    Tried grub with individual commands:

    grub

    find /boot/grub/stage1
    Error 15: file not found

    root (hd1,4)
    File system type unknown, partition type 0x6

    setup (hd0)
    Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

    ----------------

    Pretty strange. The file system is of type FAT.

    On this Dell, the first drive has two partitions.
    The first is
    39 megs, and has no Windows letter drive.

    ----------------
    In linux terms, /dev/hda is:

    Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7294 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 5 40131 de Dell Utility
    /dev/hda2 * 6 7294 58548892+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

    ----------------

    For what it is worth, /boot/grub/grub.conf is:

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd1,4)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb6
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=3
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux Advanced Server (2.4.9-e.3enterprise)
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-e.3enterprise ro root=/dev/hdb6 hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.9-e.3enterprise.img
    title Red Hat Linux Advanced Server-smp (2.4.9-e.3smp)
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-e.3smp ro root=/dev/hdb6 hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.9-e.3smp.img
    title Red Hat Linux Advanced Server-up (2.4.9-e.3)
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-e.3 ro root=/dev/hdb6 hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.9-e.3.img
    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    Allen Kistler <moc> wrote in message news:<IpWNb.1200$news.prodigy.com>...

    > I prefer not to use grub-install because it burned me once, although not
    > irrepairably. grub-install runs without prompts. If it finds something
    > funky, it starts making assumptions. Linux on not-the-first-partition
    > of not-the-first-drive probably may meet the definition of funky. I
    > haven't tried grub-install lately, though. Anyway, manually:
    >
    > $ grub
    >
    > Make sure /boot/grub/grub.conf is setup with correct paths. If you have
    > a /boot partition, you don't need "/boot" in grub.conf paths, otherwise
    > you do need it.[/ref]
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Kadaitcha Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    > You proboably failed to install grub when you installed RH, or you

    ----------

    I did exactly what I did the last time that I installed AS 2.1.
    It worked on the other machine.

    The directory /boot/grub has files: grub.conf, stage1, and stage2

    ----------

    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

    /dev/hdb6 5162796 211256 4689284 5% /
    /dev/hdb5 101089 25432 70438 27% /boot
    /dev/hdb8 5162796 32836 4867704 1% /home
    /dev/hdb9 10325748 164200 9637028 2% /opt
    /dev/hdb13 5162796 32828 4867712 1% /oracle
    /dev/hdb14 10325748 32828 9768400 1% /oradata
    none 385024 0 385024 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hdb12 5162796 35900 4864640 1% /tmp
    /dev/hdb10 5162796 2624320 2276220 54% /usr
    /dev/hdb11 5162796 117140 4783400 3% /var

    My grub.conf is in another post. It is very similar.
    More strange info there too.

    The problem seems to be more fundamental, that it can't
    get to grub.conf. Not the grub.conf file itself. (Just like my
    questions two weeks ago. It wasn't the hosts file, it was
    that the ethernet drivers were not installed.)
     [/ref]

    > The problem is that Anaconda has a habit of installing partitions
    > where it thinks they should go. Most people don't notice this in the
    > flurry of installing RH. This is why we really need to see just where
    > your /boot (partition or directory) is located. The output of df will
    > give us this.
    >
    > Once we know where /boot is physically located on hdb, we should be
    > able to send back the correct syntax. Till then be sure to check:
    > $ info grub >>>from prompt
    > and read up on grub in the RH Installation Guide and the Reference
    > Guide available here:
    > https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/
    >
    > hth,
    > prg
    > email above disabled[/ref]
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    P Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Kadaitcha Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    Kadaitcha Man wrote:

    Can we keep the windows group (removed here) and the ing
    contest out of this.

    jmh

    jmh Guest

  11. #11

    com wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    I cut back on the cross-posting. These two seem the ones in use for
    this thread.
    [snip]

    > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    >
    > /dev/hdb6 5162796 211256 4689284 5% /
    > /dev/hdb5 101089 25432 70438 27% /boot
    > /dev/hdb8 5162796 32836 4867704 1% /home
    > /dev/hdb9 10325748 164200 9637028 2% /opt
    > /dev/hdb13 5162796 32828 4867712 1% /oracle
    > /dev/hdb14 10325748 32828 9768400 1% /oradata
    > none 385024 0 385024 0% /dev/shm
    > /dev/hdb12 5162796 35900 4864640 1% /tmp
    > /dev/hdb10 5162796 2624320 2276220 54% /usr
    > /dev/hdb11 5162796 117140 4783400 3% /var
    >
    > [/ref]
    [snip]

    Most useful info in your other post, but I didn't want this to get
    burried.

    As you noted, it seems that you have Linux installed on a FAT 16 fs.
    It's been 8-9 years since I've seen this -- high school kids will try
    anything. I'll have to snoop, but I believe it's still possible to
    pull this off, ie., install/run Linux from a FAT fs. That would
    explain why you're able to "access" your RH from the boot disk; Linux
    can access a FAT in r/w mode. Presume this is not what you really had
    in mind though.

    Grub, on the other hand, runs inside a mini-OS of its own and has no
    way to access a FAT fs in _any_ mode -- can't read it, can't write to
    it. I think you're getting the grub> prompt from running grub-install
    from inside an already mounted fs. So, if you stay with the FAT 16 fs
    you'll have to go with Lilo as a means to load the kernel (I think
    this is how you would do it). You may want to do this for a few days
    to to investigate the "fun possibilities", but I would start planning
    to re-install RH yet again. YUK and sorry.

    The really puzzling thing now is, "how did this happen?" If you've
    restored the NTLDR to the MBR so that you have access to XP and you
    have access to Linux via a boot disk, you can try to find some log
    file that _may_ provide a clue. I'll make this a part of my snoop
    quest.

    The "hidden" partition on hda was put there by Dell. They are not
    unique in doing this, especially with laptops. Not sure if this is
    Dell based code or if it is a BootMagic-lite version. You may be able
    to find some info at Dell's site. Personally, I suspect that MS will
    sometime soon (already?) demand this as mandatory OEM practice on
    _all_ installations of a MS system.

    Before going to the trouble of yet another installation, I would check
    with both Dell and RedHat mailing lists (and Google, as always) to see
    if there are any reported gothchas. You may have to use the Dell
    supplied(?) multi-boot loader or NTLDR to have this box properly
    multi-boot.

    I'll post again after snooping the FAT 16 issue and let you know what
    I find.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled
    P Guest

  12. #12

    > > I did exactly what I did the last time that I installed AS 2.1. [/ref]

    Thanks a lot for responding, the long post, and looking!

    The odd thing though. Grub worked fine with the mbr on the
    first partition of my other Dell. It is also FAT 16.
    And originally, this machine worked with Lilo, until I whacked it
    with fdisk /mbr.

    I'm wondering about lilo. If I install a second kernel, can I
    modify lilo to choose one of the two different linux kernels?

    I snooped already. There are two files that are on my other machine,
    that are not on the one giving the problem. But, they don't look
    like anything significant.

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Nov 23 22:49 bootlog.prv
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 61977 Jul 21 19:07 usbufi.mdm

    file usbufi*
    usbufi.mdm: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows

    bootlog.prv is an empty file.

    I think by Dell. It has a lot of Dell proprietary diagnostics
    that ran when I couldn't configure grub right the first time. You
    actually need three lines in grub to boot with it. makeactive is not
    found in the texts.

    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    What do you think of this type of hacking?

    Uninstall grub. Then, try grub-install

    Do you think it would work?

  13. #13

    Should work. You may also need to to 'grub-install --recheck' to get
    the device map corrected.

    Also, make sure any 'virus protection' or boot sector protection is
    turned off in the bios. It'll prevent you from writing the MBR (at
    least correctly). btdt

    chris@nospam.com Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    DarkMatter Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Kadaitcha Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    com wrote in message news:<google.com>... [/ref][/ref]

    What _exactly_ did you do? Why did you think doing so would produce
    desired results? Exactly same hardware? Disk layout? Already
    installed software? Phase of the moon?

    [snip]

    How, why did you "install" Linux on a FAT16 partition. The fs is not
    FAT16, is it?

    Did you also whack it by running _any_ kind of Win based file/disk
    utility?
    [snip]

    See below re: grub. It would be similar. But why not do it like the
    "working" box -- similarity breeds ... fewer headaches!

    [snip]
    >[/ref]
    Speaking here of Linux log/error messages or output of dmesg command.
     [/ref]
    [snip]
    go here but don't mount fs
    mark this part active (required by Win)
    invoke NTLDR

    > What do you think of this type of hacking?
    >
    > Uninstall grub. Then, try grub-install
    >
    > Do you think it would work?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.[/ref]

    I've been nursing a cold ...

    As a general rule, I don't take this approach in Linux before trying
    to figure out what/why it went wrong. Shot-in-the-dark recovery
    obscures the underlying causes _and_ the clues that will help.
    Otherwise, you're likely to repeat the error in the near/distant
    future.

    In your case, I would delete the ext partition and set up a "proper"
    disk structure, ie., at least a separate /boot and / (root) primary
    partitions with others (/swap, /home, /usr, /tmp, /var) in ext
    partition. Of course, trying to keep 3 RH installs on one disk does
    complicate things. Why all 3? Why not one "installation" with three
    kernel images? I'm assuming this is some kind of tryout setup, but
    not sure how easy it would be to keep the configs separate -- just a
    thought.

    The other thing is _how_ did you install these RHEL's? Do you
    actually have cds? Drive imaging from other computer? Re-checked
    your BIOS settings as other poster suggested? Running these under
    Cygwin?

    Anyway, your particular problem could have any number of causes and
    cures. Really depends on what you did and what you're aiming at. Win
    OSs like to pretend they're the only thing on a disk -- I tend to let
    them. Here I would use NTLDR in MBR and keep grub in the boot
    partitions of the Linuxes -- have one "main" grub that does the menu
    and loads the selected Linux.

    Googling produced very few results with your errors and none of them
    indicated success or failure, ie., outcome unknown. I'll list them at
    end.

    Whether you re-install the RHs from scratch or try to fix your current
    problem, there is nothing I can do without the previously requested
    output -- it's the only clue I could have re: your _actual_ disk
    layout and the filesystems installed. Still can't figure the "File
    system type unknown, partition type 0x6" error. Linux ignores this
    piece of info -- grub does not? How does Linux mount them? Need a
    copy of /etc/fstab.

    Need following output from Linux:
    [user]$ df
    [root]# sfdisk -g -uS -l -x /dev/hdb
    [root]# fdisk -l /dev/hdb
    [root]# dmesg | grep hdb

    Looking/checking for inconsistencies or outright setup errors. How
    does this output compare with the "working" box? (The "broken" box
    output is all I need).

    Google searches:
    grub linux partition type 0x6
    grub linux "Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"
    grub linux "extended partition"
    "logical partition table" linux
    linux fdisk -t type "extended partition"

    grub urls of note:
    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_toc.html
    [above may match your version of grub -- what info doesn't reveal]
    http://www.mail-archive.com/org/msg07739.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/1999/debian-hurd-199912/msg00016.html

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/1999/debian-hurd-199912/msg00031.html
    [above accords with what I was thinking has happened to you]

    http://www.mail-archive.com/org/msg07731.html
    [above dated 11/03 -- you're not the only one with grub worrries]

    the only hit with a setup like yours (ie., all of Linux in ext
    partition -- poop does occur)
    http://www.poopoccurs.com/howto/logical.html

    Did not run above searches in Google's Groups. Advise that you do so.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled
    P Guest

  17. #17

    Here's another little piece on info.

    First keep in mind, both my machines are Dells, with a hidden
    (no drive letter) first partition on the first drive with the MBR.

    I heard yesterday from a visitor that dual boots with
    XP, and XP Pro will give different results with grub.
    In particular, there was a problem with XP Pro.

    My machine that works fine, runs XP.
    The one that is giving me problems, runs XP Pro.

    Has anyone else successfully dual booted, on a Dell,
    XP Pro, and Redhat, with grub? Has anyone had problems?

    Thanks
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  18. #18

    On 21 Jan 2004 06:59:18 -0800, com wrote:

    I have setup dual boots with XP Pro and RH just fine. No problems.
    chris@nospam.com Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks for responding. I don't have time to comment on the rest of
    the post right now, but I did run these commands for you.

    I do appreciate the interest and effort. From the commands, it
    looks like you know your stuff.

    Thanks for your help.

    df -k

    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hdb6 5162796 213168 4687372 5% /
    /dev/hdb5 101089 25432 70438 27% /boot
    /dev/hdb8 5162796 32844 4867696 1% /home
    /dev/hdb9 10325748 164216 9637012 2% /opt
    /dev/hdb13 5162796 32828 4867712 1% /oracle
    /dev/hdb14 10325748 32828 9768400 1% /oradata
    none 385024 0 385024 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hdb12 5162796 35932 4864608 1% /tmp
    /dev/hdb10 5162796 2632944 2267596 54% /usr
    /dev/hdb11 5162796 116408 4784132 3% /var

    ---------------------------------
    fdisk -g -uS -l -x /dev/hdb

    /dev/hdb: 14593 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track

    Disk /dev/hdb: 14593 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

    Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
    /dev/hdb1 63 31471334 31471272 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hdb2 * 31471335 234436544 202965210 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hdb3 0 - 0 0 Empty
    /dev/hdb4 0 - 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb5 31471398 31680179 208782 6 FAT16
    - 31680180 42170624 10490445 5 Extended
    - 31471335 31471334 0 0 Empty
    - 31471335 31471334 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb6 31680243 42170624 10490382 6 FAT16
    - 42170625 46363589 4192965 5 Extended
    - 31680180 31680179 0 0 Empty
    - 31680180 31680179 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb7 42170688 46363589 4192902 82 Linux swap
    - 46363590 56854034 10490445 5 Extended
    - 42170625 42170624 0 0 Empty
    - 42170625 42170624 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb8 46363653 56854034 10490382 83 Linux
    - 56854035 77834924 20980890 5 Extended
    - 46363590 46363589 0 0 Empty
    - 46363590 46363589 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb9 56854098 77834924 20980827 83 Linux
    - 77834925 88325369 10490445 5 Extended
    - 56854035 56854034 0 0 Empty
    - 56854035 56854034 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb10 77834988 88325369 10490382 83 Linux
    - 88325370 98815814 10490445 5 Extended
    - 77834925 77834924 0 0 Empty
    - 77834925 77834924 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb11 88325433 98815814 10490382 83 Linux
    - 98815815 109306259 10490445 5 Extended
    - 88325370 88325369 0 0 Empty
    - 88325370 88325369 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb12 98815878 109306259 10490382 83 Linux
    - 109306260 119796704 10490445 5 Extended
    - 98815815 98815814 0 0 Empty
    - 98815815 98815814 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb13 109306323 119796704 10490382 83 Linux
    - 119796705 140777594 20980890 5 Extended
    - 109306260 109306259 0 0 Empty
    - 109306260 109306259 0 0 Empty

    /dev/hdb14 119796768 140777594 20980827 83 Linux
    - 119796705 119796704 0 0 Empty
    - 119796705 119796704 0 0 Empty
    - 119796705 119796704 0 0 Empty

    ---------------------------------

    fdisk -l /dev/hdb

    Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 1 1959 15735636 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hdb2 * 1960 14593 101482605 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hdb5 1960 1972 104391 6 FAT16
    /dev/hdb6 1973 2625 5245191 6 FAT16
    /dev/hdb7 2626 2886 2096451 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hdb8 2887 3539 5245191 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb9 3540 4845 10490413+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb10 4846 5498 5245191 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb11 5499 6151 5245191 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb12 6152 6804 5245191 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb13 6805 7457 5245191 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb14 7458 8763 10490413+ 83 Linux

    ---------------------------------
    dmesg | grep hdb

    Kernel command line: initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/hdb6 BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz auto
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    hdb: WDC WD1200JB-00DUA0, ATA DISK drive
    hdb: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=14593/255/63
    hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 hdb8 hdb9 hdb10 hdb11 hdb12 hdb13 hdb14 >

    grub> root (hd0,
    Possible partitions are:
    Partition num: 0, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xce
    Partition num: 1, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7

    grub> root (hd1,
    Possible partitions are:
    Partition num: 0, Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc
    Partition num: 4, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x6
    Partition num: 5, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x6
    Partition num: 6, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
    Partition num: 7, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 8, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 9, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 10, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 11, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 12, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    Partition num: 13, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

    cat /etc/fstab

    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/opt /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/oracle /oracle ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/oradata /oradata ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    LABEL=/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/usr /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/var /var ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdb7 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  20. #20

    Did you install to the MBR as well? Thanks.

    > I have setup dual boots with XP Pro and RH just fine. No problems.[/ref]
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast