Professional Web Applications Themes

GRUB hosed by WinXP update and reboot? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have an IBM T30 laptop that came with Win XP Pro on which I also installed Linux (Libranet 2.8.1). That included the GRUB bootloader, and it WORKED FINE FOR MONTHS until last Saturday when GRUB wouldn't proceed past stage1.5. I got some help on the net and was able to redo the GRUB setup and boot the PC. Once. After the successful boot, and an hour of pentup use of computer (work emails at 1am, woooo), I shut it down. Then when I restarted it the next day, I had the exact same problem. I played with it for ...

  1. #1

    Default GRUB hosed by WinXP update and reboot?

    I have an IBM T30 laptop that came with Win XP Pro on which I also
    installed Linux (Libranet 2.8.1). That included the GRUB bootloader,
    and it WORKED FINE FOR MONTHS until last Saturday when GRUB wouldn't
    proceed past stage1.5. I got some help on the net and was able to
    redo the GRUB setup and boot the PC.

    Once.

    After the successful boot, and an hour of pentup use of computer (work
    emails at 1am, woooo), I shut it down. Then when I restarted it the
    next day, I had the exact same problem.

    I played with it for an hour (booting Gentoo and redoing GRUB several
    times) and determined that as long as I boot into Linux, everything
    stays fine. But booting into WinXP is the kiss of death and ruins the
    GRUB install -- I can boot into WinXP *once*, and then the next time I
    boot GRUB will be hosed -- hanging at stage1.5 as before.

    I normally leave this laptop up and running WinXP all week (Mon-Fri)
    with no shutdowns, so last Saturday's failed boot was the first time
    the laptop had been booted in nearly a week. This happens to be a
    work laptop, spending its days on the work network, where our IT
    admins (at my colossally huge corporation) keep a very tight grip on
    the patch state of all computers. If MS issues a critical update, not
    only are there suddenly panic-y IT drones running around making sure
    machines are patched, but the next time I log in, it gets patched
    automatically.

    My theory is that a critical update went out from Redmond-land in the
    past week or two and was installed on my laptop by corporate IT, and
    since then every time I boot it hoses GRUB. That's my only theory
    because I haven't changed anything else on the machine recently.

    If this is true, then word of this trouble is only going to start
    trickling in as WinXP dual-booters apply this recent update and
    discover their GRUBs are hosed *and* connect the dots about the
    update. So I'm probably on the bleeding edge on this. I hate that :)

    Anyone else out there A) running WinXP, B) patched it up in the last
    two weeks, C) running the GRUB bootloader and D) tried rebooting it
    recently?

    It might just be an IBM T30 thing ...

    - Chris

    P.S. Note, if you match A, B and C, but not D yet, go make rescue
    disks before you reboot :)
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: GRUB hosed by WinXP update and reboot?

    On 14 Nov 2003 08:27:59 -0800, Chris Campbell wrote:

    I have XP Home with all updates and my boot loader does not get dinked
    up.

    Now, I did seem to have a problem with something getting ed up after
    running the M$ defragger.

    My SWAG was that I did not use M$ tools to create the space for linux.
    Maybe the defrag tools assumed a M$ block size and defrag just moved
    the goal posts. :(

    That would not account for the mbr to be restored to M$ loader. Could
    be a IT batch job or anti-virus feature which checks for M$ mbr, if
    not pop in a new one.

    I would see if I could not contact the IT support people (not the
    helpdesk), and see if they know anything.

    Always helps to know people that group.
    ALso those people lurk in these groups and might see IT drones and
    Chris and decide as a drone, they only support the Ruling OS for Chris.

    There also can be some "IT drones" lurking here who decide to let you
    keep your problem because they do not like being called drones. :(

    PS:
    I am not a drone, I am one of "those damn stupid users" :)
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    On 14 Nov 2003 08:27:59 -0800, com (Chris Campbell) wrote:

    .... maybe your corporate IT pushes an overwrite to
    replace the MBR, if it appears "defective"?
    ..
    Broad-mindedness, n.: The result of flattening high-mindedness out.
    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    Try this just for kicks, I dont normally recommend it, in fact, i ususally
    recommend just the opposite. but in your situation it may provide the info
    you want.

    Fix your machine so the boot sector is the way you want. Then reboot and go
    to BIOS setup. Select the antivirus bootsector protection thing and turn
    the protection on.

    Now reboot and proceed with your normal use. Perhaps you will be notified at
    the time the bootsector is being overwritten and then you will know what is
    happening.

    Again, I only recommend this as a debugging tool to determine how your boot
    sector is getting overwritten. Once you know, turn that thing back off.

    Eric

    Eric Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:27:59 -0800, Chris Campbell wrote:

    Does your laptop have a floppy drive you can boot from. If so, it is not
    hard to make a GRUB floppy boot disk even with a menu item to reinstall
    GRUB to your laptop Master Boot Record. Plus, a floppy GRUB boot disk
    boots fairly fast (a lot quicker than lilo)

    Honorato Guest

  6. #6

    One thing I noticed about SuSE was that it set windows partition to active.
    Since GRUB was written to root part, not MBR, it would always boot into Windows
    thereafter with no option for linux.

    I'd check that grub.conf and post it here.

    Michael
    Xmp Guest

  7. #7

    "Xmp nix" <com> wrote in message
    active.
    Windows

    This sort of fun is why most of us put the MBR at the beginning of the boot
    disk, rather than in the root partition or similar locations.

    Nico Guest