Professional Web Applications Themes

GRUB question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:53:28 GMT, Ko Fei Pu wrote: > Greetins all: > I have a dual boot machine with W2K & RH 9, W2K is in my MBR, so when I > boot the computer W2K boots first, during the Linux install, I made a > mistake and installed GRUB, now every time I tried to go to Linux, the > GRUB booter comes up, is there anyway that I can remove GRUB withou > damaging my install? If you remove grub, how do you plan to boot linux. > If not how can I change the ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: GRUB question

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:53:28 GMT, Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    > Greetins all:
    > I have a dual boot machine with W2K & RH 9, W2K is in my MBR, so when I
    > boot the computer W2K boots first, during the Linux install, I made a
    > mistake and installed GRUB, now every time I tried to go to Linux, the
    > GRUB booter comes up, is there anyway that I can remove GRUB withou
    > damaging my install?
    If you remove grub, how do you plan to boot linux.
    > If not how can I change the GRUB default entry
    > (right now is pointing to W2K)?

    man grub
    modify /boot/grub/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst depending on version.

    Here is an example to change default linux to windows.

    change default 0
    to default x

    where x is the number of "title"s - 1 for the system you want as default.

    Example:
    title linux
    title failsafe
    title windows
    title floppy

    If windows is the the third title, set default 2

    Next boot should boot windows.
    Bit Twister Guest

  2. #2

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:53:28 GMT, Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    >
    >>Greetins all:
    >>I have a dual boot machine with W2K & RH 9, W2K is in my MBR, so when I
    >>boot the computer W2K boots first, during the Linux install, I made a
    >>mistake and installed GRUB, now every time I tried to go to Linux, the
    >>GRUB booter comes up, is there anyway that I can remove GRUB withou
    >>damaging my install?
    >

    > If you remove grub, how do you plan to boot linux.
    The file I copied from Linux to W2K won't boot? If you don't install
    GRUB, you can only boot from diskette and not from W2K?

    Thanks

    --

    Thanks,
    Ko Fei Pu

    Ko Fei Pu Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:03:56 GMT, Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    > The file I copied from Linux to W2K won't boot? If you don't install
    > GRUB, you can only boot from diskette and not from W2K?
    You will have to use
    [url]http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search[/url]
    to see how to boot linux from Windows, unless someone jumps in here
    whith the steps. I do not do windows.

    I always install linux boot loader into the mbr.
    Bit Twister Guest

  4. #4

    Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    > Greetins all:
    > I have a dual boot machine with W2K & RH 9, W2K is in my MBR, so when I
    > boot the computer W2K boots first, during the Linux install, I made a
    > mistake and installed GRUB, now every time I tried to go to Linux, the
    > GRUB booter comes up, is there anyway that I can remove GRUB withou
    > damaging my install? If not how can I change the GRUB default entry
    > (right now is pointing to W2K)?
    >
    > I'm a newbie so please bear with me, any comment or suggestion is much
    > appreciated.
    In order to dual-boot both Windows and Linux, GRUB needs to be in your MBR.
    It acts as the boot loader for both operating systems and is
    OS-independent. If you triple-boot 2 Windows Os's and Linux, then GRUB will
    load the Windows Boot Loader if you select the Windows option, then you can
    choose the Windows OS. If you want to remove GRUB from the MBR (and I don't
    know why you would if you really want Windows & Linux,) then you'll have to
    boot with the Win 2k install disk and use the repair utility to repair the
    MBR.

    The other replies about the Windows section in grub.conf and selecting the
    default OS are what work for me.

    Mark
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > Caveat: I am not running Windows XP.
    >
    > I would at least try this stanza in grub (the command can also be entered
    > at the grub shell at startup):
    >
    > Title Windows XP
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > Provide proper values for (hdx,y) if (hd0,0) is not correct.
    >
    > If this works (and it should), then grub can be the loader for all of
    > your OS's
    I do have a dual boot with XP. The appropriate entry in my
    /boot/grub/grub.conf is:

    title XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    Craig

    Craig McCluskey Guest

  6. #6

    [followups set to comp.os.linux.setup]

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:53:28 GMT, Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    > I have a dual boot machine with W2K & RH 9, W2K is in my MBR, so when I
    > boot the computer W2K boots first, during the Linux install, I made a
    > mistake and installed GRUB,
    I did the same thing a few months ago. I didn't like it for the first few
    minutes, but now I'm glad I did.

    (I used to boot kernel 2.0.33 from the WinNT boot menu, a serious pain in
    the ... .)
    > now every time I tried to go to Linux, the
    > GRUB booter comes up, is there anyway that I can remove GRUB withou
    > damaging my install?
    What do you mean by "[try] to go to Linux?" Is GRUB installed in the MBR?

    "/sbin/lilo" will write a LILO bootstrap to the MBR, if you configure it to
    do so. MS Windows' "fdisk /mbr" will write a Windows bootstrap to the MBR.
    I wouldn't do either, myself.
    > If not how can I change the GRUB default entry
    > (right now is pointing to W2K)?
    default 0 # replace '0' with the "number" of your desired boot entry
    > I'm a newbie so please bear with me, any comment or suggestion is much
    > appreciated.
    It's trivial to boot W2K from GRUB. Is that what you want to do?

    The best suggestions are

    man grub
    info grub
    Jules Dubois Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:56:27 GMT, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > I would at least try this stanza in grub (the command can also be entered
    > at the grub shell at startup):
    >
    > Title Windows XP
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > Provide proper values for (hdx,y) if (hd0,0) is not correct.
    It works for Windows 2000. I don't think Windows 2000 honors the "active
    flag"; I use "makeactive" anyway. I've had perfect success with those four
    lines.
    Jules Dubois Guest

  8. #8

    Jules Dubois wrote:
    > [followups set to comp.os.linux.setup]
    >
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:56:27 GMT, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >

    >>I would at least try this stanza in grub (the command can also be entered
    >>at the grub shell at startup):
    >>
    >>Title Windows XP
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> makeactive
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >>Provide proper values for (hdx,y) if (hd0,0) is not correct.
    >

    > It works for Windows 2000. I don't think Windows 2000 honors the "active
    > flag"; I use "makeactive" anyway. I've had perfect success with those four
    > lines.
    I mad the same changes, but I still got the W2K boot loader, am I
    missing something?

    Thanks

    Ko Fei Pu Guest

  9. #9

    Jules Dubois wrote:
    > [followups set to comp.os.linux.setup]
    >
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:53:28 GMT, Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    >

    >>I have a dual boot machine with W2K & RH 9, W2K is in my MBR, so when I
    >>boot the computer W2K boots first, during the Linux install, I made a
    >>mistake and installed GRUB,
    >

    > I did the same thing a few months ago. I didn't like it for the first few
    > minutes, but now I'm glad I did.
    >
    > (I used to boot kernel 2.0.33 from the WinNT boot menu, a serious pain in
    > the ... .)
    >

    >>now every time I tried to go to Linux, the
    >>GRUB booter comes up, is there anyway that I can remove GRUB withou
    >>damaging my install?
    >

    > What do you mean by "[try] to go to Linux?" Is GRUB installed in the MBR?
    >
    > "/sbin/lilo" will write a LILO bootstrap to the MBR, if you configure it to
    > do so. MS Windows' "fdisk /mbr" will write a Windows bootstrap to the MBR.
    > I wouldn't do either, myself.
    >

    >>If not how can I change the GRUB default entry
    >>(right now is pointing to W2K)?
    >

    > default 0 # replace '0' with the "number" of your desired boot entry
    >

    >>I'm a newbie so please bear with me, any comment or suggestion is much
    >>appreciated.
    >

    > It's trivial to boot W2K from GRUB. Is that what you want to do?
    >
    > The best suggestions are
    >
    > man grub
    > info grub
    Based on the posting, it seems better to have GRUB installed in MBR and
    boot w2k or linux from it, right now I have w2k installed in MBR and
    GRUB installed on /boot directory, so when I want to boot linux, I have
    to select linux from w2k boot loader, then select linux again from GRUB
    boot loader, and I would like to remove the GRUB loader if it's possible
    and won't damage my current installation.

    TIA

    Ko Fei Pu Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:32:39 -0600, Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    > Jules Dubois wrote:
    >> [followups set to comp.os.linux.setup]
    >>
    >> On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:56:27 GMT, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >>

    >>>I would at least try this stanza in grub (the command can also be
    >>>entered at the grub shell at startup):
    >>>
    >>>Title Windows XP
    >>> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >>> makeactive
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>>
    >>>Provide proper values for (hdx,y) if (hd0,0) is not correct.
    >>

    >> It works for Windows 2000. I don't think Windows 2000 honors the
    >> "active flag"; I use "makeactive" anyway. I've had perfect success
    >> with those four lines.
    >
    > I mad the same changes, but I still got the W2K boot loader, am I
    > missing something?
    >
    > Thanks

    Using grub as the loader causes the slight inconvience of going through
    two boot menus: the grub menu followed by the windows boot menu. The
    point is it works. How much time are you going to be spending
    rebooting anyway ? -- insert windows joke here. ;-)

    --Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Mayne Guest

  11. #11

    Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    >>> Title Windows XP
    >>> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >>> makeactive
    >>> chainloader +1
    >

    > I mad the same changes, but I still got the W2K boot loader, am I
    > missing something?
    Apparently so. Look at

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?q=grub+Redhat+7.3+group:comp.os.linux.setup &hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=5a3928c0.0209121855.758dd68%40posting.googl e.com&rnum=4[/url]

    and follow the directions.

    Craig

    Craig McCluskey Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 05:39:27 GMT, in article <jeA5b.649$kW.235edtnps84>,
    Ko Fei Pu wrote:
    >> The best suggestions are
    >>
    >> man grub
    >> info grub
    >>
    > Based on the posting, it seems better to have GRUB installed in MBR and
    > boot w2k or linux from it,
    That's what I do, but what's better is what works better for you.
    > right now I have w2k installed in MBR and
    > GRUB installed on /boot directory,
    I think you should reread the GRUB doentation. You have "GRUB files" in
    your /boot directory, but

    * the GRUB stage-1 boot loader is in the first sector (not a file) of
    some partition; and
    * if you're loading GRUB from W2K, there's a copy of that sector in
    another file somewhere, and W2K's BOOT.INI specifies its location.
    > so when I want to boot linux, I have
    > to select linux from w2k boot loader,
    To boot W2K, if you have GRUB in the MBR, you'll have to go through the W2K
    boot menu. Unless you specify something like "timeout=0" in one or both
    bootloaders, you'll have to navigate menus.
    > I would like to remove the GRUB loader if it's possible
    > and won't damage my current installation.
    I'm only familiar with one way to boot Linux -- with a bootloader like LILO
    or GRUB. There may be other ways, but LILO and GRUB have always worked for
    me.
    Jules Dubois Guest