Professional Web Applications Themes

GUI for MacOS X? - Ruby

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I have been googling for a long time, and failed to find a clear answer: Is there any working, 'out of the box' cross-platform GUI library that will work with MacOS X 10.2.x for Ruby (i.e. not requiring X11)? Am I right in thinking that Tk still has unresolved problems on MacOS X, and that there is no implementation of GTK+ and Fox for MacOS X? Are there other possibilities? Nigel...

  1. #1

    Default GUI for MacOS X?

    Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I have been googling for a long time,
    and failed to find a clear answer:

    Is there any working, 'out of the box' cross-platform GUI library that
    will work with MacOS X 10.2.x for Ruby (i.e. not requiring X11)? Am I
    right in thinking that Tk still has unresolved problems on MacOS X, and
    that there is no implementation of GTK+ and Fox for MacOS X? Are there
    other possibilities?

    Nigel

    Nigel Gilbert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: GUI for MacOS X?

    Hi,

    Nigel Gilbert wrote:
    > Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I have been googling for a long time,
    > and failed to find a clear answer:
    >
    > Is there any working, 'out of the box' cross-platform GUI library that
    > will work with MacOS X 10.2.x for Ruby (i.e. not requiring X11)? Am I
    > right in thinking that Tk still has unresolved problems on MacOS X, and
    > that there is no implementation of GTK+ and Fox for MacOS X? Are there
    > other possibilities?

    What about RubyCocoa?

    [url]http://www.imasy.or.jp/~hisa/mac/rubycocoa/index.en.html[/url]

    I used to develop with Cocoa/Java, and Ruby's API looks better (in fact,
    everything looks better in Ruby) ;-)

    HTH,

    --
    Laurent

    Laurent Sansonetti Guest

  3. #3

    Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
    > What about RubyCocoa?
    I believe that he's looking for a cross-platform solution, which Cocoa
    is not.

    Lyle Johnson Guest

  4. #4

    Lyle Johnson <lyleknology.net> wrote:
    > > What about RubyCocoa?
    >
    > I believe that he's looking for a cross-platform solution, which Cocoa
    > is not.
    is there a Gtk-Ruby working on MacOS X ???
    --
    Yvon
    Yvon Thoraval Guest

  5. #5

    >>> [email]n.gilbertsoc.surrey.ac.uk[/email] 09/18/03 10:28am >>>
    Is there any working, 'out of the box' cross-platform GUI library that

    will work with MacOS X 10.2.x for Ruby (i.e. not requiring X11)?
    >>> [email]n.gilbertsoc.surrey.ac.uk[/email] 09/18/03 10:28am >>>
    How about wxRuby? Certainly wxWindows is available for MacOS and wxRuby
    site does list Mac OS-X

    [url]http://rubyforge.org/projects/wxruby/[/url]

    Robert McGovern Guest

  6. #6

    Yvon Thoraval wrote:
    > is there a Gtk-Ruby working on MacOS X ???
    Not natively; that is, GTK+ runs on Mac OS X under an X server (as does
    FOX). I did find a project to port GTK+ 1.x to OS X (see
    [url]http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net[/url]) but it doesn't sound like a port to GTK+
    2.x is in their plans.

    Lyle Johnson Guest

  7. #7

    Robert McGovern <robertmspellmanhv.co.uk> wrote:

    > How about wxRuby? Certainly wxWindows is available for MacOS and wxRuby
    > site does list Mac OS-X
    >
    > [url]http://rubyforge.org/projects/wxruby/[/url]
    I'll compile if any.
    --
    Yvon
    Yvon Thoraval Guest

  8. #8

    Lyle Johnson <lyleusers.sourceforge.net> wrote:
    > Not natively; that is, GTK+ runs on Mac OS X under an X server (as does
    > FOX).
    I never was able to finish compiling it yet without errors ???
    >I did find a project to port GTK+ 1.x to OS X (see
    > [url]http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net[/url]) but it doesn't sound like a port to GTK+
    > 2.x is in their plans.
    Might be interesting if upgrading afterwards to Gtk+2 isn't too heavy.

    --
    Yvon
    Yvon Thoraval Guest

  9. #9

    GNUstep doesn't make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?

    On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Lyle Johnson wrote:
    > Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
    >
    >> What about RubyCocoa?
    >
    > I believe that he's looking for a cross-platform solution, which Cocoa
    > is not.

    Rincon Guest

  10. #10

    Rincon <rinconjHotPOP.com> wrote:
    > GNUstep doesn't make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?
    Cross-platform GUIs are a myth. Period.

    --
    Luc Heinrich - [email]lucskymac.com[/email]
    Luc Heinrich Guest

  11. #11

    On Sep 27, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Rincon wrote:
    > GNUstep doesn't make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?

    GnuStep would require X11 which, I believe, was also one of the
    original poster's requirements.

    Scott

    Scott Thompson Guest

  12. #12

    On Sep 28, 2003, at 5:11 AM, Luc Heinrich wrote:
    > Rincon <rinconjHotPOP.com> wrote:
    >
    >> GNUstep doesn't make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?
    >
    > Cross-platform GUIs are a myth. Period.
    >
    > --
    > Luc Heinrich - [email]lucskymac.com[/email]
    Amen.

    Scott Thompson Guest

  13. #13

    At 7:11 PM +0900 9/28/03, Luc Heinrich wrote:
    >Rincon <rinconjHotPOP.com> wrote:
    >
    >> GNUstep doesn't make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?
    >
    >Cross-platform GUIs are a myth. Period.
    Not entirely true -- people have managed to port GUI stuff to
    multiple platforms.

    The problem is that when you're doing a cross-platform GUI, you end
    up limiting yourself to the things that are common to all the
    platforms. And, while everyone does the good things differently, they
    all seem to manage to do the same things wrong...
    --
    Dan

    Dan Sugalski even samurai
    [email]dansidhe.org[/email] have teddy bears and even
    teddy bears get drunk

    Dan Sugalski Guest

  14. #14

    Dan Sugalski <dansidhe.org> wrote:
    > Not entirely true -- people have managed to port GUI stuff to
    > multiple platforms.
    Of course, but...
    > The problem is that when you're doing a cross-platform GUI, you end
    > up limiting yourself to the things that are common to all the
    > platforms.
    ....as you just said, using a cross-platform GUI either limits you to a
    lowest common denominator, or makes you introduce concepts and/or
    abstractions non native to some platforms.

    There is more than just windows and widgets to a GUI, and while you
    might be able to end up with a lowest common denominator that *looks*
    pretty good, you are likely to also end up with a lowest common
    denominator that *feels* terrible on at least one platform.

    So yeah, depending on your requirements, you might find that using a
    lowest common denominator which will look or feel like crap on at least
    one platform is acceptable. As far as I am concerned, there is no such
    things as cross-platform GUIs :)

  15. #15

    Luc Heinrich - [email]lucskymac.com[/email]
    -----------
    There is more than just windows and widgets to a GUI,
    and while you
    might be able to end up with a lowest common
    denominator that *looks*
    pretty good, you are likely to also end up with a
    lowest common
    denominator that *feels* terrible on at least one
    platform.

    So yeah, depending on your requirements, you might
    find that using a
    lowest common denominator which will look or feel like
    crap on at least
    one platform is acceptable. As far as I am concerned,
    there is no such
    things as cross-platform GUIs :)

    <<

    As a web developer it should be no surprise that i
    suggest the browser as the ultimate cross platform
    gui. Html4/dom4 is (finally) surprisingly consistant
    across, ie,moz,opera and safari and you can
    run/develop for moz on most platforms to further focus
    development. IMO, most business apps can be well
    supported and delivered to almost any platform. There
    are exceptions(visually intensive apps) but even those
    are increasingly supportable(via svg).

    salesforce.com is a comprehenive business app
    delivered via browser.

    zope.org is a biz/development app

    this is a trend whose momentum is just beginning to be
    felt,imo

    :pv

    [url]http://shopping.[/url]

    paul vudmaska Guest