Professional Web Applications Themes

GUI for MySQL with constraints - MySQL

Hi! I need an advice. I need a (FREE) GUI for MySQL, capable of handling constraints. SQLyog seems to do the job but I miss a very important thing: with FOREIGN KEYS, when I insert data in the partent table, I expect NOT to insert the index referencing to the child table, but I'd rather expect a combo box or similar so I can insert my field WITHOUT looking every time for the correct ID. Is there a free GUI that is capable of handling data in this way? (I mean a stand-alone, not web-based like myphpadmin). If not, any ...

  1. #1

    Default GUI for MySQL with constraints

    Hi!

    I need an advice.

    I need a (FREE) GUI for MySQL, capable of handling
    constraints. SQLyog seems to do the job but I miss a very
    important thing:

    with FOREIGN KEYS, when I insert data
    in the partent table, I expect NOT to insert the index
    referencing to the child table, but I'd rather expect
    a combo box or similar so I can insert my field WITHOUT
    looking every time for the correct ID.

    Is there a free GUI that is capable of handling data in
    this way? (I mean a stand-alone, not web-based like myphpadmin).

    If not, any commercial one?

    Or, is there a way with views or other SQL-magic to do
    the job?

    sorry for my english and thanks in advance to everyone!
    EgregioSignore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: GUI for MySQL with constraints

    == Quote from EgregioSignore (it)'s article

    maybe try dbvisualizer. it's pretty good.
    --
    POST BY: lark with PHP News Reader
    lark Guest

  3. #3

    lark wrote:

    > maybe try dbvisualizer. it's pretty good.
    > --
    > POST BY: lark with PHP News Reader[/ref]

    Seems to do the job... but only with the commercial
    version (the free one lets me see relations but as far
    as I have understood, I have to insert values by
    SQL O_o so no gain for what I need)...

    anyway thanks a lot pal, it seems a very good
    s/w!
    EgregioSignore Guest

  4. #4

    In article <Vyt9i.30036$libero.it>,
    EgregioSignore <it> wrote:

    Not sure if it'll do all you want, I've only just found it myself and
    haven't had time to seriously investigate, but try Heidisql:
    www.heidisql.com it appears to be from (some of) the same people who did
    MySQLFront, but unlike MySQLFront, it's free.

    Dave

    --
    Dave Stratford ZFCA
    http://daves.orpheusweb.co.uk/

    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    Dave Stratford wrote:

    > Not sure if it'll do all you want, I've only just found it myself and
    > haven't had time to seriously investigate, but try Heidisql:
    > www.heidisql.com it appears to be from (some of) the same people who did
    > MySQLFront, but unlike MySQLFront, it's free.[/ref]

    Thanks, but Heidi is exactly the program I wanted
    to abandon...
    EgregioSignore Guest

  6. #6

    In article <3E9bi.34712$libero.it>,
    EgregioSignore <it> wrote:

    > > Not sure if it'll do all you want, I've only just found it myself and
    > > haven't had time to seriously investigate, but try Heidisql:
    > > www.heidisql.com it appears to be from (some of) the same people who did
    > > MySQLFront, but unlike MySQLFront, it's free.[/ref][/ref]

    Fair enough. Sadly MySQLFront is no longer being developed, but I love it,
    and think it's still far superior to anything else I've come across.
    HeidiSQL is basically a further development of a slightly earlier version
    of the MySQLFromt code.

    Dave

  7. #7

    == Quote from Dave Stratford (co.uk)'s article
    > > Thanks, but Heidi is exactly the program I wanted
    > > to abandon...[/ref]
    > Fair enough. Sadly MySQLFront is no longer being developed, but I love it,
    > and think it's still far superior to anything else I've come across.
    > HeidiSQL is basically a further development of a slightly earlier version
    > of the MySQLFromt code.
    > Dave[/ref]

    Now you have me all interested in this. Can you explain briefly what is superior
    about MySQLFront?
    Thanks

  8. #8

    In article <LBgbi.25159$news.prodigy.net>,
    lark <net> wrote:

    Hey, I didn't say it was the best thing available, merely that it was the
    best thing that I've used.

    I can open windows onto more than one database on different servers at the
    same time - across a local network or across the internet. Can transfer
    data only, table definitions only, or both between different databases on
    different servers. In general I find the facilities are just so much
    easier to use, and more flexible, IMO, then MySQL AB's own offerings.

    But as I say, this is only my own opinion based on what I've used.

    Unfortunately MySQLFront is no longer developed so TBH it's fairly
    irrelevant anyway.

    HeidiSQL, which is what I suggested earlier, is being developed from an
    earlier version of the MySQLFront code, and at present at least, it's
    still not as slick as the last released version of MySQLFront. However,
    given that it's free and in development and I know what could be done, I
    have high hopes for it.

    Dave

  9. #9

    == Quote from Dave Stratford (co.uk)'s article
    > Hey, I didn't say it was the best thing available, merely that it was the
    > best thing that I've used.
    > I can open windows onto more than one database on different servers at the
    > same time - across a local network or across the internet. Can transfer
    > data only, table definitions only, or both between different databases on
    > different servers. In general I find the facilities are just so much
    > easier to use, and more flexible, IMO, then MySQL AB's own offerings.
    > But as I say, this is only my own opinion based on what I've used.
    > Unfortunately MySQLFront is no longer developed so TBH it's fairly
    > irrelevant anyway.
    > HeidiSQL, which is what I suggested earlier, is being developed from an
    > earlier version of the MySQLFront code, and at present at least, it's
    > still not as slick as the last released version of MySQLFront. However,
    > given that it's free and in development and I know what could be done, I
    > have high hopes for it.
    > Dave[/ref]

    yes, i can see that. it's not a bad tool. don't understand why mysql ab. forced to
    shutdown their development though. does not seem to be fair.

    thanks for the info.