Professional Web Applications Themes

Guides - Placing multiple Guides at exact locations - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I want to be able to add guides to my artboard in exact locations via a numeric value say 1.56 inches. Am i able to do this? And how? Im prety sure i have seen it done in Indesign thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Guides - Placing multiple Guides at exact locations

    superfuzz_superfuzz@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    As far as I can see it is not possible to actually read the location of the guides in the Info palette (nothing shows): you can only drag them as accurately as you can see them on the artboard. See Help>Rulers>Ruler guides for instruction.

    You may also follow the thread Ruler mesurments.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    A) For accurracy, and depending on what measurement you want to use, open
    the Info Palette, of the four areas in the info palette
    click on the 'Tracks cursor coordinates' symbol (the large plus sign). This
    will reveal 7 units of measure from pixels to percentage.
    Pick the one that works best for you.

    B) Go and drag a guide to any location. Just as you go to let go of the drag
    guide feature, make note of the x or y coordinate.
    x = Verical Guide / y = Horizontal Guide

    C) Then go to 'View/New Guide' and in the 'New Guide' dialog box,
    right-click inside the Position text box where it currently says 0px
    and choose from the same units of measure you set up in the info palette.
    Select the appropraite
    orientation and type in that number you got just as u let go of the drag
    guide mentioned in step b.

    This will duplicate an exact guide location.

    cheers
    heathrowe

    heathrowe@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    that heathrowe - he's so anxious to post, he misread the group he was in -
    doh

    oh well if its possible in Photoshop, Im sure it is for Illustrator

  5. #5

    Drag a guide from the ruler. Drop it anywhere.

    ViewMenu: Uncheck Lock Guides.

    Select Tool: Click the guide.

    Transform Palette: Enter the desired value in either the X or Y field. Press Enter.

    or...

    DoubleClick one of the Pointer tools in the toolbox. Enter the distance you want the guide to move from its present location. Note that you can also click the Copy button in this dialog to move a copy of the selected Guide. Then, you can type Ctrl-D repeatedly to create an array of guides with the same spacing.

    Remember to turn Lock Guides back on when done.

    You can also turn any normal path into a Guide by selecting View>Guides>MakeGuides. So, for example, you can create a blend between two lines (even angled or curved lines), expand the blend, and Make Guides.

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    that Jacob - he's so anxious to post, he misRTFM.

    James, thank you for sharing the light; I had overlooked the unlocking option. Today, I can see it is there.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Using make guides is my personal favorite, I use angled guides quite a lot.

    [ctrl]+[alt]+[;] is a handy little short cut when you realise you've place a guide in the wrong spot.

    If you want to make psudeo-guides with different colours for increments you can always just place your lines (guides) on the top layer and lock it.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Three other points about Guides that you might find helpful. 1) When you drag a Guide out from either the horizontal or vertical ruler, don't rely on your eye to line it up with a hash mark on the ruler. Instead, hold down the Shift key and it'll stick to the mark...more accurate. 2) After dragging out an unlocked Guide from a ruler or after creating your own unlocked Guide, with either the Selection or Direct Selection Tool chosen, click the Enter key to get the Move Dialog Box for your entries. 3) If you elect to select and delete an unlocked Guide that was originally created by dragging it out from a ruler, use the Selection Tool to select it and not the Direct Selection Tool. Otherwise, the Guide's 2 anchor points will still reside on the edge of the 227" square Scratch Area. If in the future you group everything and try to move the group, you'll get a dialog box that says,"Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area." Eddie
    Eddie_Ostrowski@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Control R to show rulers. Then if you want cross guides make one of each the normal way of draging curser from appropriate ruler. Then drag corner ruler box to cross of the two guides (if you made two). Now Right click on one of the Guides and Unlock. While curser has Guide selected Right click, Transform and Move, putting in the number you wish it to move. If you wish it to move in units relative to your layout, put the guides at the upper left corner of the artboard layout and drag your ruler corner box there. use minus number to move down or left. For angle you can use Rotate and move use angle plus or minus.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    One last tip regarding Guides. As you're dragging out a horizontal Guide from the Horizontal Ruler, you can turn it into a vertical Guide by holding down the Alt key. This holds true for both rulers. Eddie
    Eddie_Ostrowski@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Eddie, is there ever a last tip in Illy?

    You can also copy guides, and rotate them, so you can make a custom grid.

    Seeing the light, I have just begun to realize the options.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jacob, I should have said, "My last tip regarding Guides." True, Illustrator rocks! Have been using it since AI88. Only recently our department migrated to the PC from the Mac. Eddie
    Eddie_Ostrowski@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Hey guys.. thank you all for the helpfull hints... everything works great now... ahhhhhhhh you all rock
    superfuzz_superfuzz@adobeforums.com Guest