Professional Web Applications Themes

Gwenview for WINDOWS + Possible Setup/Hardware Compatability Issues - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

BEFORE moving to Linux [Mandrake 9.2] ( I have ONE (1) computer, 8GB Hard Drive), I would like the opportunity to work with some linux programs FIRST: Bind (loads) Gimp (loads) *Gwenview* (not yet able to download and install?) mozilla (loads) netscape (loads) Open Office (loads) PAN (loads) I currently use Windows XP Professional w/NTFS and have *GTK 1.3 and GTK 2.0 installed*. 1. *I am attempting to locate an equivelant/replacement for ThumbsPlus. (Gimp does NOT appear to be the answer)* 2. The HD is 8GB, therefore I won't have the LUXURY of booting both Mandrake 9.2 AND Windows XP ...

  1. #1

    Default Gwenview for WINDOWS + Possible Setup/Hardware Compatability Issues

    BEFORE moving to Linux [Mandrake 9.2] ( I have ONE (1) computer, 8GB Hard
    Drive), I would like the opportunity to work with some linux programs FIRST:

    Bind (loads)
    Gimp (loads)
    *Gwenview* (not yet able to download and install?)
    mozilla (loads)
    netscape (loads)
    Open Office (loads)
    PAN (loads)

    I currently use Windows XP Professional w/NTFS and have *GTK 1.3 and GTK 2.0
    installed*.

    1. *I am attempting to locate an equivelant/replacement for ThumbsPlus.
    (Gimp does NOT appear to be the answer)*

    2. The HD is 8GB, therefore I won't have the LUXURY of booting both Mandrake
    9.2 AND Windows XP Professional.

    3. As the ONLY user, I assume that I would do everything in "root"?

    4. Open Office w/Mozilla or Netscape. Which browser will- interact with
    Open Office . . . BEST?

    IF there is a Mandrake Site (or perhaps on one of the downloaded
    installation CD's) that will scan for hardware compatability issues- before
    installation, that would be great.

    I cannot be without a computer for seven (7) to (10) days, therefore I NEED
    to PLAN a VALID . . . "User Friendly" . . .inital installation and before
    some asks:

    Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron 4, 1700
    MHz (4.25 x 400)
    Motherboard Name VIARAMA U8668 (Pro) (3 PCI,
    1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266
    System Memory 224 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    *Will be adding 256MB DDR BEFORE Mandrake Installation*.
    BIOS Type Award (02/28/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

    Display:
    Video Adapter S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    (32 MB)
    3D Accelerator S3 SuperSavageDDR
    Monitor Plug and Play
    Monitor [NoDB] (LEM784905131)

    Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio
    Controller

    Storage:
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    (Cannot extract Manufacturer and Model Number)
    Disk Drive WDC WD84AA
    Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-232B
    (32x/10x/40x CD-RW)

    Current Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 6055 MB (2145 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 1992 MB (719 MB free)

    Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
    or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard (KENSINGTON 64353 WIRELESS)
    Mouse Kensington PS/2 Port
    Mouse ( KENSINGTON 64353 WIRELESS)

    Network:
    Network Adapter VIA Compatable Fast
    Ethernet Adapter (169.254.21.116)
    Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    (66.72.81.50)
    Modem U.S. Robotics 56K
    Fax PCI

    Peripherals:
    Printer hp deskjet 940c
    Printer hp officejet d145
    printer
    USB Device DOT4 USB Printing Support
    USB Device USB Printing Support

    Note: there are six (6) 2.0 USB Ports which were not detected for this
    list - perhaps they are only detected when in use?

    Any positive assistance/input with this move is appreciated.

    Amused Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:16:47 GMT,
    Amused <msn.com> wrote:

    I know you can create thumbnails in Image Magick, but I believe I've
    seen one or two programs specifically for thumbnails.

    May I be the first to say, "NO!"

    Different users allow different settings and different priviledges.
    root is used when required, an extra space in a command line can ruin
    your whole day. Root will happily clean your hard disk off for you if
    you tell it to without bothering you with little things like warnings.

    Though many programs will complain if you try to run them as root it's
    almost always an unnecessary risk. Many will tell you that they don't
    even log into a shell as root, they use su/sudo when root is required.

    I believe MDK uses kdesu when root is required for configuation in X.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Linux is a completely different OS. There is no reason to think linux
    applications will run on Windows or have a version that runs on Windows.
    It is like expecting Macintosh or OS/2 applications to run on Windows.

    I'm not sure why you mention 7 to 10 days. The most time it will take is an
    hour to install, a few hours to play with it, and 30 seconds and a reboot
    to delete if you don't like it.
    --
    Nick
    Mandrake 9.2

  4. #4

    To run any Linux program under Windows, you need a helper app like Vmware.
    Gwenview is designed to run under the KDE desktop and requires the Qt
    library that KDE uses. Gtk is used by GNOME. IF you can install Qt under
    Windows, you might get Gwenview to work, but no promises. I am surprised
    that you have got as much working as you have.

    Doug.

    Amused wrote:

    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

  5. #5

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:16:47 GMT, Amused wrote:

    Looks like gwenview requires KDE...you are probably not going to get it
    to work in windows. Your best bet is to find someone with a linux box
    and try it yourself.

    That said:

    I use Gnome, and the file manager (nautilus) does a pretty good job at
    displaying pictures, thumbnail views, etc. You need to specify what you
    want features you want. I know that there are other applications for
    image browsing, so you will most likely find what you are looking for.

    No. You create a user account, do everything as the user. If you need
    to make administrative changes, you su to root. Doing everything as
    root is a very bad idea.

    Not sure what you mean. Mozilla is very nice. I use MozillaFirebird,
    and like it very much. I'm sure you can configure it to open up
    OpenOffice when you click on a doent, if that's all you want.

    The hardware you have looks pretty standard. I've never used Mandrake,
    so I can't comment on how well it will detect the hardware on install.

    I've used several other distributions, however. So far, the winner for
    easiest install is SuSE...took about 45 minutes to get to a completely
    useable system with X and KDE. You can install it over the internet,
    too (although this will take longer depending on your connection) for
    free.

    --
    When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong,
    you cannot be too conservative. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.