Professional Web Applications Themes

Hand-held device for displaying digital pictures - Photography

Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally 7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards ...

  1. #1

    Default Hand-held device for displaying digital pictures

    Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
    whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
    7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
    that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
    actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
    in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
    daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
    wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
    said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
    terribly convenient.

    So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
    with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
    the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
    one by one, to see the show.

    I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
    4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
    ("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
    one?

    (No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
    in an album is not viable)
    Henry Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:22:31 +0000, Henry Law
    <com> wrote:

    Yep I have seen them... Ever try a search? A few moments led to a few
    sites:
    http://www.meritline.com/digital-photo-album-mp3-lcd.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030217smartdiskflashtrax.asp
    http://www.edigitalphoto.com/storage/0309edp_smartdisk/

    ZONED! Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:44:02 GMT, net (ZONED!)
    wrote:

    >Yep I have seen them... Ever try a search?[/ref]

    Your withering sarcasm is misplaced. My search was for "digital
    photograph album" and produced no relevant hits in the first two pages
    (my usual guideline for Google searches).

    And in any case none of these really fits the requirement for a photo
    album.

    This has the right size screen. But it's table-mounted (with a remote
    control) and clearly intended as a rolling photo *frame*, on a side
    table, not as a hand-held pass-it-round *album*. It's also got
    speakers and so forth.

    That's got the interface - hand held, buttons on the front - but is
    (IMO) too small at 3.8" No good for elderly parents' eyes.

    These are the same unit, which seems more aimed at offline storage
    (it's got a 30GB drive on board) rather than at viewing, since its
    display is only 3.5".
    Henry Guest

  4. #4

    Henry Law <com> wrote:

    [..]

    At Xmas I hooked my laptop up to my parents' TV and ran a slide show of
    previous Xmas gatherings, that people could watch if they wanted to.
    People seemed to like it.

    Your camera is also a hand-held device for displaying pictures, if you
    think about it... Some can drive a TV slide show, too.

    [..]

    Why not?
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:22:31 +0000, Henry Law
    <com> wrote:

    The main problem is that the resolution of current LCDs is nowhere as good
    as the lowliest 6x4 print, so they would rarely do justice to your photos.

    There are "portable storage devices" with 20Gb+ hard-drives that are
    designed for off-loading of images of memory cards in the field, but the
    screens on these (if they have one) are really only designed to review the
    shots, not to display them.

    You could try a handheld PC (iPAQ etc), but (plucking one at random) you're
    going to get roughly a 3"x2" image at slightly over 100ppi.

    Regards,
    Graham Guest

  6. #6

    Graham Holden wrote:
    []

    The Epson P-2000 offers a 640 x 480 image at over 200 dpi. Can feed a TV.
    40GB storage, CF and SD memory cards. Worth a look!

    Cheers,
    David

    David Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:18:27 -0800, c0m (Paul Mitchum)
    wrote:

    That's a different way of doing it at a major family gathering and I
    can see the attraction. It's not the same, though, as sitting down in
    an easy chair with a couple of other people and just passing a folder
    of prints across for them to have a look at.

    Yes, you're right - hadn't thought of that. Must experiment. Has the
    advantage that it's sufficiently large for people to sit back in their
    chairs, look at the pictures and discuss them generally. Bit like a
    35mm slide show without the need to erect a screen and black the place
    out.

    >Why not?[/ref]

    Too many, frankly, to make it worth the cost of printing. As a
    general rule I find myself printing a small fraction of the shots I
    take.
    Henry Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:13:29 +0000, Graham Holden
    <of.post> wrote:

     [/ref]

    Yes, I can see that as a problem if the audience is photo mavens; but
    for "family" use it would probably be good enough. Non-photo-mavens
    used to coo over Instamatic prints!

    Yes, and I know people who do that, but the image is rather small.
    The Epson device at
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.asp looks closer
    (but it's a lot of money!)
    Henry Guest

  9. #9

    Henry Law <com> writes:

    The Epson-2000 is the current favorite of this type of device, unless you shoot
    a Canon 1ds mark2 (it can't display picturess as large as the 1ds produces).
    The Epson has a hard drive in it, so you can off load memory cards. There are
    other models, but the Epson has the best screen.

    A cheaper approach is to either hook up your camera to the TV, or you can get
    devices that take CF, etc. (Delkin makes one).

    Depending on your folks TV equipment, many DVD players will do a slide show if
    you burn a CD full of JPG's.

    For pictures taken on the spot, a portable 4x6 printer (HP 375/375B, Epson
    Picturemate, Canon CP-330, etc.) might do the trick.

    If you have a PDA, and it takes the same type of media slots as your camera, it
    can be used to display pictures.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: org

  10. #10

    I think you have two choices. One burn you images to a CD or DVD using
    something like ProShow Gold thus creating a slide show. The when visiting
    those with a DVD player display the slide show on the TV.

    Or you can download your images to one of several devices such as Transcends
    Digital Album that can be connected to a TV and display a slide show of your
    images, or using a portable CD or DVD burner like the Addonics MFR connect
    this device with the CD or DVD slide show to the TV.

    I guess there are other options as well.

    Good luck

    Arthur Guest

  11. #11

    "Henry Law" <com> wrote in message

    Henry, what about using a portable DVD player? Walmart sells one from
    Polaroid that's less than $200 and will play PhotoCD jpeg disks.

    Paul Guest

  12. #12

    Arthur Small wrote:

    Connect your camera to the TV directly. Keep your slide-shows on one or
    more memory cards. No extra hardware involved....

    Cheers,
    David

    David Guest

  13. #13

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:28:46 -0800, "Paul H."
    <yycom> wrote:

    That's an idea; I didn't know DVD players did that. Got other uses
    too :-)
    Henry Guest

  14. #14

    Henry Law wrote:

    check
    http://www.pacificdigital.com/products/ce.asp

    product produces very good pictures on the screen.

    of course that was the good old way...
    Crownfield Guest

  15. #15

    Henry Law <org> wrote:

    >> Why not?[/ref]
    >
    > Too many, frankly, to make it worth the cost of printing. As a
    > general rule I find myself printing a small fraction of the shots I
    > take.[/ref]

    Consider that the ones not worth printing are probably not worth foisting
    off on relatives, either.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  16. #16

    > > Too many, frankly, to make it worth the cost of printing. As a
    >
    > Consider that the ones not worth printing are probably not worth foisting
    > off on relatives, either.[/ref]

    On my hard drive, I have a collection of over 12,000 photos. I wouldn't
    dream of trying to print them, and I wouldn't dream of "foisting" all of
    them on a relative. When our relatives visit, though, it's pretty common
    for them to sit down and want to see some photos. I can pick which ones
    they'll want to see pretty easily, pull them up, and show them what they're
    interested in. The more I think about it, the more I realize that a
    very-portable device with a hard drive and a display would be pretty handy -
    but also sufficiently expensive that I probably wouldn't buy it.

    steve

    Steve Guest

  17. #17

    Steve Wolfe <com> wrote:

    [..]

    I just remembered: Olympus has their new m:robe thing, which is an mp3
    player and 1.2mp camera with a 4 inch screen. It's exactly the thing
    you're talking about. $500, tho.
    Paul Guest

  18. #18

    Paul H. wrote:

    Now that's a cool idea.
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  19. #19

    Steve Wolfe wrote:

    Yep. The considerate photographer does a good edit job before the presentation...

    Alan Guest

  20. #20

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:31:28 -0800, Crownfield <net>
    wrote:

    Yep, that looks exactly like what I was describing. I knew there'd be
    one somewhere.
    Henry Guest