Professional Web Applications Themes

Hanging on Real Time Clock Driver - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I have recently installed RedHat 9 onto my Compaq Presario 800 Laptop that currently has Windows XP. Much to my disgust, this installation process has been a complete nightmare. I will spare you the grueling details of my trial-and-error process, but I *finally* got the installed on a separate partition complete with a LILO booter. However, when I try to boot Redhat it hangs during the boot sequence with this on the screen: Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e Some people have had similar problems, but manage to continue with the boot sequence by pressing any key. No such luck ...

  1. #1

    Default Hanging on Real Time Clock Driver

    Hello,

    I have recently installed RedHat 9 onto my Compaq Presario 800 Laptop that
    currently has Windows XP. Much to my disgust, this installation
    process has been a complete nightmare.

    I will spare you the grueling details of my trial-and-error process, but I
    *finally* got the installed on a separate partition complete with a LILO
    booter. However, when I try to boot Redhat it hangs during the boot
    sequence with this on the screen:

    Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e

    Some people have had similar problems, but manage to continue with the
    boot sequence by pressing any key. No such luck with me, it just stalls
    forever. I tried moving the /dev/rtc file to another name, but this does
    not seem to work. I would altogether like to disable this particular driver. Is this possible, or does
    anybody know how to cirvent this problem?

    Thanks,

    Christopher

    Christopher T Park Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hanging on Real Time Clock Driver

    Christopher T Park wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have recently installed RedHat 9 onto my Compaq Presario 800 Laptop that
    > currently has Windows XP. Much to my disgust, this installation
    > process has been a complete nightmare.
    Sounds familiar, but with Windows XP as the culprit. There is something
    fishy with those laptops from Compaq - not to say they're a bad purchase...
    > I will spare you the grueling details of my trial-and-error process, but I
    > *finally* got the installed on a separate partition complete with a LILO
    > booter. However, when I try to boot Redhat it hangs during the boot
    > sequence with this on the screen:
    >
    > Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e
    >
    > Some people have had similar problems, but manage to continue with the
    > boot sequence by pressing any key. No such luck with me, it just stalls
    > forever. I tried moving the /dev/rtc file to another name, but this does
    > not seem to work. I would altogether like to disable this particular
    > driver. Is this possible, or does
    > anybody know how to cirvent this problem?
    Only way I can think of is by removing it from the kernel; I believe you may
    want to use a vanilla-kernel, since RH is using the RTC for
    performance-boosting for the desktop. Instead, you may want to try the
    ck-patchset from Con Kolivas:
    [url]http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/[/url] for extreme performance ;)

    If you need any help compiling or patching, post it!

    --
    Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.8p1
    Linux 2.5.74-mm1 i686 AMD Athlon(TM)Processor GNU/Linux

    Hagbard Celine Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 Christopher T Park wrote:
    >I will spare you the grueling details of my trial-and-error process, but I
    >*finally* got the installed on a separate partition complete with a LILO
    >booter. However, when I try to boot Redhat it hangs during the boot
    >sequence with this on the screen:
    >
    >Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e
    It might also be due to APM not working for your system. You can try
    "apm=off" as a boot parameter and see if it helps.
    >Some people have had similar problems, but manage to continue with the
    >boot sequence by pressing any key.
    Never knew you can get past it by doing this. Good to know.

    Vwakes Guest

  4. #4

    Hagbard Celine <yesodluna.com> writes:

    ]Christopher T Park wrote:

    ]>
    ]> Hello,
    ]>

    ]
    ]> I will spare you the grueling details of my trial-and-error process, but I
    ]> *finally* got the installed on a separate partition complete with a LILO
    ]> booter. However, when I try to boot Redhat it hangs during the boot
    ]> sequence with this on the screen:
    ]>
    ]> Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e
    ]>
    ]> Some people have had similar problems, but manage to continue with the
    ]> boot sequence by pressing any key. No such luck with me, it just stalls
    ]> forever. I tried moving the /dev/rtc file to another name, but this does
    ]> not seem to work. I would altogether like to disable this particular
    ]> driver. Is this possible, or does
    ]> anybody know how to cirvent this problem?

    ]Only way I can think of is by removing it from the kernel; I believe you may

    On my Mandrake system rtc is a module. You could just ask it not to load
    the module for rtc.

    But why do you believe it is rtc? Often if the kernel lists it, it has
    already happened. Ie, it might be next thing being loaded which has the
    problems.

    Bill Unruh Guest