Professional Web Applications Themes

hard drive missing in iBook? help, please . . . - Mac Portable

I'm helping a friend with a G3 white iBook (the one with two USB ports). He replaced the hard drive himself a couple of weeks ago with a bigger one. It worked OK for awhile, but now there's a problem: on startup, the hard drive apparently can't be found. We just get the flashing question mark icon. I tried booting from an Apple hardware test CD, and that program claims that there's no hard drive present, although the rest of the machine passes the hardware tests. Any ideas as to why the replacement hard drive would work OK for awhile, ...

  1. #1

    Default hard drive missing in iBook? help, please . . .

    I'm helping a friend with a G3 white iBook (the one with two USB ports).
    He replaced the hard drive himself a couple of weeks ago with a bigger
    one. It worked OK for awhile, but now there's a problem: on startup, the
    hard drive apparently can't be found. We just get the flashing question
    mark icon. I tried booting from an Apple hardware test CD, and that
    program claims that there's no hard drive present, although the rest of
    the machine passes the hardware tests.

    Any ideas as to why the replacement hard drive would work OK for awhile,
    and then quit? I partially disassembled the iBook to make sure that the
    cables were intact and firmly seated, etc., but saw no problems.

    One note: I think that the owner broke one of the wires the go from the
    mainboard to the speakers; when I opened up the iBook, I found the
    broken (red) wire. There's a chance that the conductor might have been
    contacting another metal part inside the machine. Any possible link
    between this and the hard drive problem? By the way, I've since repaired
    the broken wire.

    Any help appreciated.
    Jacques Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: hard drive missing in iBook? help, please . . .

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:11:48 -0700, Jacques Clouseau wrote
    (in message <CIS.DFN.DE>):

    If the wire was contacting just some metal, and not any circuit board or
    component, there is probably no cause-and-effect relationship between them.

    The only connection I can see is that the broken wire shows a bit of lack of
    skill required to work inside a laptop. Considering this, the chance that the
    owner did something ham-handed to cause the drive to fail is more than nil.

    But warranties being what they are, there's a good chance that the drive can
    be replaced under warranty. Can you reinstall the original drive to see if it
    works (unless it's being replaced because *it* failed...)?

    Good luck,
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>, dave-
    com says...

    Thanks for your thoughts on this. Yes, I'm going to check with him to
    see if he still has the old hard drive, and maybe we can put it back in
    and see what happens if that one's still good. I think that he was just
    upgrading to a bigger one, although I need to double-check that.

    I wish it weren't such tedious work getting to the hard drive on these
    iBooks . . .

    And yes, I think that the reason I'm working on this problem now is
    because he's seen how difficult this work can be.

    Jacques Guest