Professional Web Applications Themes

Hard drive won't mount - Mac Applications & Software

In the process of configuring an old G3 all-in-one running OSX, I've lost the ability to boot up from the hard drive. The drive has OSX installed, and was booting OK. I had a few problems with icons not showing, but updating to the latest 10.2.x seemed to cure that. I cleared out some old accounts, and for tidiness sake I also zapped the PRAM and then tried to do an open firmware reset. Which is where my troubles began. CMD-OPT-O-F gave me nothing but a black screen. I rebooted, and now the hard drive refuses to load the system. ...

  1. #1

    Default Hard drive won't mount

    In the process of configuring an old G3 all-in-one running OSX, I've
    lost the ability to boot up from the hard drive.

    The drive has OSX installed, and was booting OK. I had a few problems
    with icons not showing, but updating to the latest 10.2.x seemed to cure
    that. I cleared out some old accounts, and for tidiness sake I also
    zapped the PRAM and then tried to do an open firmware reset. Which is
    where my troubles began. CMD-OPT-O-F gave me nothing but a black screen.
    I rebooted, and now the hard drive refuses to load the system.

    I can boot from OSX and OS9 CDs, and other drives, but the main hard
    drive doesn't show up. I can get Drive Setup to recognize the fact that
    there is indeed a device on ATA 1, but it reports it as unmounted.
    MacTest Pro reports the drive as OK, however neither Tech Tool DeLuxe
    nor Disk Utility will recognize it. I've reset the CUDA, and the logic
    board. Before I go and re-initialize the drive and re-install the OS,
    can anyone tell me if they've seen this before? Anyone got any other
    ideas I might try?

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hard drive won't mount

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > When you were setting it up for OS X, did you reformat the hard drive
    > If so, I bet you did not check the box that says "Include OS 9 drivers." If
    > you
    > do not check this box, then you won't see the drive when you boot from any OS
    > 9
    > volume (including a CD), and if you reset the PRAM so that the computer tries
    > to boot 9 instead of X, nothing will happen.
    >
    > Reformat the drive with Disk Utility, this time remembering to check the
    > "Include OS 9 Drivers" checkbox, and reinstall your operating system and
    > software.[/ref]

    .. . . thanks for the tip. I received this box pre-formatted and running
    OSX already, so I've no way of knowing if it was formatted this way or
    not. Sounds like this might be the problem though. Guess I'll have to
    scratch it and start it again!

    Cheers,
    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  3. #3

    In article <islandnet.com>,
    GDB <ca> wrote:

    In situations like this, I have had some limited success in using command
    line tools such as disksutil and disktool. If you are command-line literate
    you might consider giving these a go before reformatting.
    sam Guest

  4. #4

    In article <islandnet.com>,
    GDB <ca> wrote:

    > > When you were setting it up for OS X, did you reformat the hard drive
    > > If so, I bet you did not check the box that says "Include OS 9 drivers." If
    > > you
    > > do not check this box, then you won't see the drive when you boot from any
    > > OS
    > > 9
    > > volume (including a CD), and if you reset the PRAM so that the computer
    > > tries
    > > to boot 9 instead of X, nothing will happen.
    > >
    > > Reformat the drive with Disk Utility, this time remembering to check the
    > > "Include OS 9 Drivers" checkbox, and reinstall your operating system and
    > > software.[/ref]
    >
    > . . . thanks for the tip. I received this box pre-formatted and running
    > OSX already, so I've no way of knowing if it was formatted this way or
    > not. Sounds like this might be the problem though. Guess I'll have to
    > scratch it and start it again![/ref]

    .. . . further to this thread, I thought I'd report back on my findings.
    I removed my problem drive from its original home in the G3, and
    transferred it to a secondary slot on another OSX equipped machine. The
    problem drive and all its data were visible, confirming the above
    suspicion that this drive had originally been formatted without OS9
    drivers. Thanks once again fo all the help . . .

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  5. #5

    I find this discussion very interesting because I just bought a new G4
    Power Mac, which has OSX 10.2.6 on it.
    My previous Power Mac was a beige G3, with OS 9.2.1 _but_ the H.D. was
    probably originally formatted using one of the early System 8 operating
    systems. Keep that in mind....
    Prior to reading this thread, my intention was to move the existing H.D.
    from the G3 into the G4, changing the jumpers and making it a slave
    drive there.

    Question:

    Is it going to be that simple, or am I going to have a problem getting
    the G4 CPU to recognize the older G3's H.D. at all?
    I never even imagined I might be faced with this sort of problem, so I'm asking...

    Thanks ahead of time!

    keith whaley <== trying to head off potential problms at the pass! <g>

    * * *

    GDB wrote: [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Keith Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>, com wrote:

    asking...

    It ought to be no problem, though you may need a new driver on the
    drive. Use Disk Utility if it doesn;t appear after you've installed in the
    G4 and rebooted.

    If you're getting a Dual Mirrored Doors G4, there will are two ATA
    buses and two disk enclosures, each for two drives. Try putting the old
    drive in the second disk enclosure, and you won;t even have to change the
    jumpers (as long as they're set to bus position....)

    Joe Gurman

    --
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
    - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001

  7. #7

    "Joseph B. Gurman" wrote: [/ref]

    On the newly-installed G3 drive?

    Okay, thanks.

    My new G4 has two Ultra ATA/66 and two Ultra ATA/100 bus connections.
    The supplied G4's drive, an 80 GB unit, is on one of the ATA/100
    connectors. My G3 drive is a 20 GB, also a 7200 RPM ATA/100 drive, so it
    ought to fit just fine...

    Last question: Doesn't OSX require that you change HD jumpers to
    indicate boot and slave drives?

    I haven't opened the supplied DVD CD yet, so haven't opened the "help"
    manual! <g>

    Thanks, keith whaley

    Keith Guest

  8. #8

    Keith Whaley <com> wrote:

    It has nothing to do directly with OS X, as it's a hardware issue, but
    the HD that came installed is set for cable select, not master or slave,
    and another drive added to that bus should likewise be set to cable
    select. All recent IDE drives should have that option, but older ones
    may not.

    When you have a single drive installed on a bus, though, it can be set
    for master _or_ cable select, so the simplest thing is to install the
    G3's drive on the front (ATA/66) bus still set as master.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>,
    Keith Whaley <com> wrote:

    .. . . re the driver. If you read back in the thread, you'll see that the
    problem I was having was the lack of an optional OS9 driver on an OSX
    formatted drive, resulting in OS9 boot disks being unable to read the
    data on it. The driver issue is moot in your scenario, unless you're
    worried about booting into OS9 from your old G3 drive and not seeing the
    new G4 drive. No worries on that count. Unless someone other than Apple
    has re-formatted the new G4 drive for you, it will indeed have OS9
    drivers included.

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  10. #10

    No, I have no plans to ever boot into OS 9 on the old G3 drive.
    I will always be booting into the G4's factory setup drive, which has OS
    10.2.6 and Classic on it now.
    All I want to do with the old 20 GB G3 drive is to use it as a
    repository for older programs/applications, and be able to go there to
    access various records (mail, text and photos.)

    keith whaley

    GDB wrote:

    > . . . re the driver. If you read back in the thread, you'll see that the
    > problem I was having was the lack of an optional OS9 driver on an OSX
    > formatted drive, resulting in OS9 boot disks being unable to read the
    > data on it. The driver issue is moot in your scenario, unless you're
    > worried about booting into OS9 from your old G3 drive and not seeing the
    > new G4 drive. No worries on that count. Unless someone other than Apple
    > has re-formatted the new G4 drive for you, it will indeed have OS9
    > drivers included.
    >
    > Glenn[/ref]
    Keith Guest