Professional Web Applications Themes

Hardcore protection suggestions for 20d & Lenses - Photography

Hi all, Been lurking around the edges of this newsgroup for some time and have seen a lot of good advice and now need some of my own... I recently did a major equipment upgrade from my Canon 300d to a 20d with a slew of glass including ..an EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, an EF 50mm f/1.4, an EF 85mm f/1.2L and an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. Okay, so clearly a major investment here. This summer I will be taking this equipment out for a weeks stay in an alkali desert prone to dust storms filled with ...

  1. #1

    Default Hardcore protection suggestions for 20d & Lenses

    Hi all,

    Been lurking around the edges of this newsgroup for some time and have
    seen a lot of good advice and now need some of my own...

    I recently did a major equipment upgrade from my Canon 300d to a 20d
    with a slew of glass including ..an EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, an EF
    24-70mm f/2.8L, an EF 50mm f/1.4, an EF 85mm f/1.2L and an EF 70-200mm
    f/2.8L IS. Okay, so clearly a major investment here.

    This summer I will be taking this equipment out for a weeks stay in an
    alkali desert prone to dust storms filled with alkali dust and 100+
    degree temps. Short of an extended sea voyage, this is probably one
    of the least hospitable camera environments around.

    While I may definitely decide to leave some of the glass at home, I
    know that I will want to use much of it (I even bought some of these
    lenses with this trip specifically in mind).

    My question is this....what suggestions do y'all have for protecting
    my gear through this adventure? While I do have some basic rain gear,
    which I believe will help to some degree, but my experience has shown
    that this alkali dust tends to get into just about anything that isn't
    hermetically sealed.

    I'm mainly looking for protection while I'm actually shooting as
    opposed to pelican cases, etc to cart the gear out there. I will have
    a dust-free (or reasonably so) environment to clean gear, etc.

    Anyway, any suggestions welcomed...

    -Chef Juke
    "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
    www.chefjuke.com

    Chef Guest

  2. #2

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:25:59 -0800, Chef Juke <net>
    wrote:

    I use a Lowepro Dryzone which uses a scuba drysuit zipper to create a
    totally water and dust proof compartment.

    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_200.aspx

    Ron

    com
    http://borealphotography.com
    Ron Guest

  3. #3

    Chef Juke wrote:

    While it always depends on *your* photographic intent, I would offhand suggest
    your 10-22, 24-70 and 70-200 with the least emphasis on the 70-200.

    It would have been nice if you had a wide angle prime in there, and possibly a
    100mm f/2.8 macro or similar. How close can you focus the 85?

    One large risk is lens changes. You will need a dust free tent to swap lenses.
    Vacuum away dust BEFORE changing lenses. Don't use a er.

    If that desert tends to give an electrostatic charge to things (dust + wind
    usually do so), that will compound the risk seriously of polluting the camera
    and sensor.

    Consider divers camera enclosures although this will limit you to the shorter
    lenses (and I'm not sure if the zoom can be operated at all).

    A vacuum device for cleaning every day and before lens swaps, NOT a er. A
    er will drive dust deeper into the the camera and lens joints.

    Are there area photographers you can consult for advice?

    Good luck. Have fun.

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:22:27 -0500, Ron Lacey <com>
    wrote:
     [/ref]

    Heh heh I misread this, Check out the products at EWA Marine

    http://www.ewa-marine.de/english/index.htm

  5. #5

    "Chef Juke" <net> wrote
    --------

    Treat your desert adventure as if it was an underwater adventure. The same
    products that will keep out water will keep out wind driven sand. For the
    best products, look at EWA Marine or Canon's housings, for something more
    affordable, consider Aquapac.

    Keep lens changes to an absolute minimum. When a change is needed, you will
    need to do it in a protected environment. One solution would be to take a
    large size light tight bag made to remove film from cameras. These have
    double zippers and sleeves for your arms.

    You are also going to have power issues. The performance of most
    rechargeable batteries drops off as temperatures increase. A black camera
    body and lens certainly doesn't help. You might consider wrapping the
    camera in something more reflective, a white cloth or aluminum foil for
    example. Some rechargeables also have issues fully recharging at high
    temps. You will very likely need triple or more the number of batteries
    needed for more temperate conditions.

    jfitz Guest

  6. #6

    Chef Juke <net> wrote:

    [..]

    You might try asking on a Burning Man email list.
    Paul Guest

  7. #7

    c0m (Paul Mitchum) writes:

    Chef Juke _is_ Burning Man. :->
    Phil Guest

  8. #8

    On 10 Feb 2005 18:27:01 -0800, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    >Chef Juke _is_ Burning Man. :->[/ref]

    Damn! I've been 'Outed'!

    <Hi Phil!>

    Yes, I am talking about Burning Man and I've also perused archives of
    Camera related threads on the Burning Man lists and forums. Wanted to
    get any additional info from this group as well.

  9. #9

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:34:40 -0500, "jfitz" <com> wrote:

    >--------
    >
    >Treat your desert adventure as if it was an underwater adventure. The same
    >products that will keep out water will keep out wind driven sand. For the
    >best products, look at EWA Marine or Canon's housings, for something more
    >affordable, consider Aquapac.
    >
    >Keep lens changes to an absolute minimum. When a change is needed, you will
    >need to do it in a protected environment. One solution would be to take a
    >large size light tight bag made to remove film from cameras. These have
    >double zippers and sleeves for your arms.
    >
    >You are also going to have power issues. The performance of most
    >rechargeable batteries drops off as temperatures increase. A black camera
    >body and lens certainly doesn't help. You might consider wrapping the
    >camera in something more reflective, a white cloth or aluminum foil for
    >example. Some rechargeables also have issues fully recharging at high
    >temps. You will very likely need triple or more the number of batteries
    >needed for more temperate conditions.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks for the info...been looking at some of the EWA-MARINE stuff and
    will check out Aquapac.

    Batteries should not be an issue. I will have about 20 511A batteries
    and use the double battery grip on the 20d and have a cooler for the
    ones I am not carring with me in my camera bag. I will have a
    dust-free space for most lens changes and am thinking about holding on
    to my 300d for a little longer so that I can bring it as well to
    futher minimize lens changes (but then I'll have TWO cameras to
    protect)

  10. #10

    Chef Juke <net> writes:

    I have an Ewa Marine bag for my little Nikon CoolPix 995 or whatever it is
    -- I never remember. The metal ring covers the optical viewfinder making it
    unuseable. The plastic of the bag is shiny, so it reflects light, making
    the LCD very nearly unuseable -- it _is_ unuseable with a strong light
    behind me. These two things make the bag unworkable in many situation. How
    this would apply to your camera, I don't know. I have no information on
    what kind of viewport the Ewa marine bag has for your camera. My suggestion
    is to see if you can find one in a store to try before you buy.

    I still bring the bag, and I still use it, but it's not a good solution.
    It's the best one I can find, but it's not a good one.

    Phil Guest

  11. #11

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    And he calls himself a chef?

    John Guest

  12. #12

    com (John Francis) writes:

    > And he calls himself a chef?[/ref]

    :-> Now _that_'s a funny post.

    Phil Guest

  13. #13

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:28:54 +0000 (UTC), com (John
    Francis) wrote:

    >And he calls himself a chef?[/ref]

    New Orleans blackened dishes?

  14. #14

    John Francis wrote:

    > And he calls himself a chef?
    >
    >[/ref]
    Well, there's creme brulee, sans accents, and certain meats taste best
    when slightly charred, and .....

    Juke: Keeping the 300D to minimize lens changes, and as a backup, is a
    fine idea.

    Enjoy!

    --

    John McWilliams

    She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was
    room-temperature Canadian beef.
    John Guest

  15. #15

    Ron Lacey <com> writes:

    I ordered reddened blackfish, but they were out. In all of New Orleans. Can
    you imagine?
    Phil Guest

  16. #16

    John McWilliams <net> writes:

    And another fine idea -- clean your camera bag and camera case -- before
    you go and again when you get back. I have a canvas Domke bag that I can
    throw in the washer, but other bags can't be washed, so I vacuum them after
    rubbing them down with a damp sponge or paper towel to get the dust off.

    Keeping your containers as dust-free as possible helps keep dust out of the
    innards.

    Phil Guest