Professional Web Applications Themes

Hardware backup - SCO

I have a Compaq ML370 with ~200 GB HD (6 x 72GB - RAID 1); SCO Open Server 5.0.7. Which hardware backup solution to use in order to backup data on my HD ? Is there a way to use only one media ? I need nightly unattended backup. Thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default Hardware backup

    I have a Compaq ML370 with ~200 GB HD (6 x 72GB - RAID 1); SCO Open Server 5.0.7.
    Which hardware backup solution to use in order to backup data on my HD ?
    Is there a way to use only one media ?
    I need nightly unattended backup.

    Thanks in advance
    Gerardo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hardware backup

    Gerardo Zenga wrote:
    How much data do you need to back up ?

    bill Guest

  3. #3

    Gerardo Zenga <it> wrote:

    http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/supertars.html
    http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/dvdram.html

    Well, yeah, you CAN, but that's bad practice.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bn5ont$svp$std.com>, <com> wrote: [/ref]

     [/ref]

    My interpretations when he said 'one media' was that it was to
    be one tape for a backup instead of multiple which would require
    human interventions, cascading tape drives, or a changer.

    For 200GB he probably needs something like the AIT. Newest
    version runs 500GB native and 1TB compressed, but the latest
    DLT/LTO [forgot which one] surpassed the AIT on transfer speed
    but hasn't hit the 1TB tape that I recall.

    I'm assuming your 'bad practice' was assuming one tape used over
    and over.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion) wrote in message news:<com>... [/ref]

    > [/ref]

    > My interpretations when he said 'one media' was that it was to
    > be one tape for a backup instead of multiple which would require
    > human interventions, cascading tape drives, or a changer.
    >
    > For 200GB he probably needs something like the AIT. Newest
    > version runs 500GB native and 1TB compressed, but the latest
    > DLT/LTO [forgot which one] surpassed the AIT on transfer speed
    > but hasn't hit the 1TB tape that I recall.
    >
    > I'm assuming your 'bad practice' was assuming one tape used over
    > and over.
    >
    > Bill[/ref]

    Sorry for my english !

    Yes, i intended "one tape for a backup instead of multiple" and not
    "using one tape over and over" (bad practice).
    I've seen on HP/Compaq web site AIT running 100 GB native and 200
    compressed. Is this the right solution for me ?
    Or I need a 200 GB native solution ? (does it exist ?)
    Are there problems using compression ?

    Thanks again

    P.S.
    I'm using SCO Open Server for mission critical applications since 1988
    (Xenix, 3.2.4.2, 5.0.4 and now 5.0.7) and I am a satisfied user of
    this O.S. (60 users connected to a SCO box working 24 x 7 x 365)
    Thanks mainly to this newsgroup I've solved all the problems with my
    Open Server.
    What about the future ?
    Is this the moment to think about a Linux solution ?
    Gerardo Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    Gerardo Zenga <it> wrote:
    >> [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    I interpreted what you said correctly - it was Tony who
    thought you meant one tape over and over. The 'bad practice'
    comment was directed to him.

    Only you can tell that. Exabyte has several DLT/SuperDLT
    solutions. Sony and other AIT vendors keep playing leap frog with
    the DLT and the LTO crowd. Each pushes the size and speed limit
    and the end user wins.

    Yes they exist. The bigger the capacity the more money they cost.
    The high end AIT is 500GB native - and the lower models [also
    cheaper] are less.

    Exabyte has their LTO and Mammoth. Quantum has the DLTs.
    All rugged.

    For smaller systems I find the Ecrix VXA is nice. It goes up
    to about 60GB compressed. I have an IDE version on a client
    Linux system [All their VXA-I drives are identical and just the
    interface changes and the IDE identifies itself as SCSI]

    In compressed mode I get 142MB/minute backup speed.

    None at all. The compression is in hardware. And because of
    that you can throw data to the drive when it runs in compressed
    mode about twice as fast as in standard mode. That has two
    advantages. The backups/restores go faster, and because the
    drives are desinged with hours of operations as the point,
    running compressed mode will mean the drive will last longer.

    My crystal ball is cloudy.

    Only you can determine that. You have to weigh the costs of
    of SW upgrade versus learning curve and transporting the
    applications to the new environment. In a 24x7 operation you
    don't have a lot of time to experiment. And given the cost of
    a 60 user license if you multiply that by

    Your 24x7x365 must be interesting. That gives you 61320 days per
    year, while the rest of us have to squeeze everything into
    8760 hours. But given the latter figure times 60 users
    you get over 525,000 hours of potential use.

    If I pick a wild figure out of the air - say $3000 for
    a 60 user license, that gives you a cost of 57 hundredth
    of a cent per hour.

    If you pay $50 [wild figure] for a boxed Linux then you go
    from about 1/2 cent per hour OS cost to almost 1/1000th of a cent
    per hour. But if the business will succeed or fail over such small
    differences it's a poorly run business :-)

    So the cost of the OS really isn't the reason to change from one OS
    to another IMO.

    For small offices - with just a couple of user - the OS cost
    becomes higher.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com