Professional Web Applications Themes

Hardware? Software? Problem - Sun Solaris

Hi folks, I've got a U60 (2x450 1Gb RAM) running 2.7 that seems to have a developed a problem. I came in and the machine was absolutely frozen. stop-A didnt work either. Subsequently I cycled the U60 and the ext disks. I had to do this three or 4 times. Each time during the boot up process the U60 would get stuck in a different place . For example one time it died during the fsck. I did a boot -rs one time and it came up fine in single-user, command line mode. So I tried mounting the partitions one ...

  1. #1

    Default Hardware? Software? Problem

    Hi folks,

    I've got a U60 (2x450 1Gb RAM) running 2.7 that seems to have a developed a
    problem. I came in and the machine was absolutely frozen. stop-A didnt work
    either. Subsequently I cycled the U60 and the ext disks. I had to do this three
    or 4 times. Each time during the boot up process the U60 would get stuck in a
    different place . For example one time it died during the fsck. I did a boot
    -rs one time and it came up fine in single-user, command line mode. So I tried
    mounting the partitions one at a time. THat was going well, until I needed to
    cat /etc/vfstab, to remind myself of some of the partition names. It died in
    the middle of cat.. half of the vfstab file came out and then it croaked. To
    say the behavior is flaky is an understatement.

    I recycled again and this time it came all the way up; the CDE login screen
    appeared and I tried to login and get going. It wasn't taking any input in the
    login screen. I logged in remotely and saw that Xsun was running away, eating
    an entire cpu. I tried to stop and restart using /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin but to
    no avail. I tried using truss -p Xsun's PID but that didn't produce anything.

    Has anybody seen this before? If you require additonal information, just let me
    know, and I'll try to get it for you. The only thing I noticed in
    /var/adm/messages is

    speckeysd[587]:speckeysd:Unable to remove the lockfile

    Is it perhaps a bad keyboard? I know Suns aren't happy when you unplug a
    keyboard..

    Yours,

    Stuart

    Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
    Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
    "To err is human, but to really foul things up
    requires a creationist"
    Bigdakine Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hardware? Software? Problem

    >Subject: Hardware? Software? Problem

    Well that wouldn't explain the Xsun process going wild....

    I've rebooted since then, and it fails during the boot up in random places. For
    example I saw:

    hostname: ka

    And it froze. It froze in the middle of printing the name. The hostname is not
    "ka"

    Is it just kaput?

  3. #3

    Bigdakine <comgetagrip> wrote:

    Sounds like hardware. I'd guess something on the MB has gone south. If
    it were software, you'd more likely get reproducable errors. If it were
    a simple component (disk, memory) you'd get nice errors.

    Unlikely.

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  4. #4

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:55:17 +0000, Bigdakine wrote:

    Have you tried going to the boot prom and running a full diag on the
    subsystems?

    Turn on the diag switch, and turn on debug or diag level to max, and
    rebooting might spot something wrong with a cpu or support chipset also.

    Ricardo
    He Guest

  5. #5

    >Subject: Re: Hardware? Software? Problem
    >three
    >boot
    >tried
    >in
    >

    >Have you tried going to the boot prom and running a full diag on the
    >subsystems?
    >
    >Turn on the diag switch, and turn on debug or diag level to max, and
    >rebooting might spot something wrong with a cpu or support chipset also.
    >[/ref]

    Looks like I've messed with it once to often. It doesn't even get to the OK
    prompt now.

  6. #6

    >Subject: Re: Hardware? Software? Problem

    >Sounds like hardware. I'd guess something on the MB has gone south.[/ref]

    Thats what I was afraid of. By MB, I assume you mean motherboard..

    Aaargghh!