Professional Web Applications Themes

Has anyone switched from PageMaker to InDesign CS for PM? - Adobe Indesign Windows

We currently use PM 7.0 and are interested in InDesign CS for PM. I just wondered if anyone out there has switched and am curious about what you like and dislike. Any information would be appreciated. We compile legal reports that were issued as letters into an annual report in book form. We have anywhere from 200-400 pages and multiple footnotes. We also prepare indexes for references to names, statute numbers, etc. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Has anyone switched from PageMaker to InDesign CS for PM?

    Lisa_Seaborn@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I have switched from PM to ID CS but it's not the ID CS for PM.
    I love everything about ID compared to PM. Sure, it takes a little getting used to when you first jump in the drivers seat but once you get used to it, you don't really want to go back to PM.

    Take a look at this...
    Bjorn Ost "Reasons to switch to InDesign" 11/25/03 12:56am </cgi-bin/webx?13.2cce9025/0>
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I'm currently switching over, but I just installed my InDesign for PM, and now I can't open my PM 6 program. Since I'm not up to speed in InDesign, I'm not happy.
    Verna_Schaffer@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I made the switch gradually.
    Indy 1 was poor and not useable to lay out books.
    Indy 2 was much better.
    Indy 3 is still better, and I do not use PM anymore.

    I had my doubts with Indy 1, but now I am totally convinced:
    Indesign IS really PM8.
    And yes, PageMaker is dead. At least for me.

    BTW After each installation of Indesign, PM still runs on several machines.
    phaedra@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If you're using ID CS then I can only assume that you have at least
    Win2K and perhaps WinXP. PM 6 was flakey at best and to expect it to run
    on either of those operating systems is a stretch.

    It shouldn't take you long to get up to speed with ID.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    When I switched over to InDesign, I had a very long list of things I liked and a few gripes. The gripes were: (1) No story editor; (2) Small pasteboard; (3) No bulleting feature; (4) No toolbar; (5) Text frames that don't automatically fit themselves to text as you type.

    (1) Has been added in IDCS; (2) has been fixed as an option in IDCS, but I've gotten used to the ID 2 style pasteboard and haven't bothered to explore the new option; (3) and (4) have been fixed by the PM add-on package, but I'm too cheap to buy that, so for (3) I wrote a script to handle my limited needs and (4) I've gotten used to doing without. That leaves (5), which seems a small price to pay for the dozens of things that ID does so much better than PM.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I was thinking about getting the PageMaker plugin and trying to use InDesign more. I love PageMaker 6.5. However, I am wondering if anyone else has had the experience of losing access to PageMaker. I'm not too excited about that happening.
    Cath
    cath@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I originally bought ID2 to work on Quark files that I inherited from another company, and didn't have any intention on dropping PM. I'm now using IDCS as my main program and haven't touched PM in months.
    John_Brush@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    am wondering if anyone else has had the experience of losing access to
    PageMaker.

    I have not experienced losing access to PM 7 but are you running IDCS and 6.5 on an XP or 2k machine?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest