Professional Web Applications Themes

Has the Illustrator / Corel File Problems Been Resolved? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have Corel Draw 12 at my work and I need to be able to open Illustrator EPS's. They often open blank tho. Other than calling and asking to legacy backward, has this been resolved?...

  1. #1

    Default Has the Illustrator / Corel File Problems Been Resolved?

    michael_hinnant@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    resolved? Corel would have to resolve that. I use coreldrawv12 also and Illo CS2. People will just have to save to legacy format (AIv8... i think may be the latest coreldraw12 can open a ai file.)

    ai9 started using a PDF version opposed to the legacy eps or postscript format.

    don't know the details...but this is why u cannot open them directly now in corel.

    BEST thing to do is get AICS2 and that way u can save back or whatever and handle in corel if u like.

    becasue alot of times just importing...doesn't mean it comes in straight.
    tim_d@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Tim,

    Well, what I've been doing is one of 2 things, having illustrator files be saved back to 9 - or having them saved as PDF's.

    If a PDF is created from a vector art, Corl will open it as editable vector file. I think. lol

    So, if I get my office to switch to Illustrator CS2, what would be my procedure for opening / importing new Corel files?
    michael_hinnant@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    not sure if CS2 can directly open v12 coreldraw files? maybe...i am guessing...i have cs2 at home..and CS here at work..so cannot test.

    but IMPORT is just that... doesn't mean everything will be perfect...may have to clean up or have font substitution problems etc.

    in the long run probably best to switch to illustrator...coreldraw12 is great...but Adobe is just plain huge..no worries if the company may not be around in a couple years.

    the sign industry uses coreldraw..and it's built very well for that and also techincal stuff... and the multiple pages make it so much better in my opinion...but still consider switching to illo.
    just depends on what u do...if u do mostly printwork..definatly illo!

    most of the world uses adobe...so might as well follow for less headache for as long as u r in the field.

    but there are niches i will NOT use illo..and use corel...but that is my choice... best to have both.
    tim_d@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    Just to add my two cents.
    I used to create everything in Corel Draw. As for getting images into Illustrator, no problem. Just save the Corel Draw image as an ai file. Then open in Illustrator. Easy!

    Elaine
    Elaine_Koppany@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but here's the solution:

    If you're going to import EPS files into CorelDRAW -with editable paths in full view- you must use the Postscript Interpreted filter.

    If you're importing artwork and simply have the "all file types" option selected CoreDRAW will default to using the placeable EPS filter. You'll only get a bounding box without editable paths in view.

    Depending on the version of CorelDRAW you're using, the Illustrator EPS files may have to be saved down to an earlier version. CorelDRAW 12 will not import Illustrator EPS files any higher than version 8. The same goes for CorelDRAW 9.

    CorelDRAW 9 will import Illustrator artwork saved from Illustrator 8. But it will not import Illustrator artwork saved down to legacy version 8 format from Illustrator CS2. Pretty odd, but very true. Version 7 seems to be the latest import/export AI flavor that works well for CorelDRAW. Version 7 legacy format isn't available as a save option from CS2. I have to save AI files down to version 3 to get CorelDRAW 9 to read them.

    CorelDRAW 12 will import Illustrator 8 files in Illustrator format, but can bring in Illustrator-based artwork in version 9-CS2 format using the PDF import filter. The Illustrator user, however, must be sure to save the artwork as a PDF compatible file. Without PDF compatibility selected CorelDRAW will not be able to import the art.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest