Professional Web Applications Themes

Have internet connection but not workgroup connection. - Windows Networking

In article <Xns93B9BBF24CB33adfslur0mdoaur03jadl207.46.248.1 6>, Frank Dreyfus <fdreyfusnyw.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I can get e-mail, etc. so I know the nic is properly configured. > >However I can't see other computers in the workgroup. I can't even see >myself in Network Places. > >The message says it's unable to browse and I may not have permission; I >do. This is a home installation. There is nothing, or should be nothing >to keep me from seeing the workgroup. > >File and printer sharing is enabled. > >I tried netsh/interface/ip/reset (this is something that has worked for >me on other systems) but it ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Have internet connection but not workgroup connection.

    In article <Xns93B9BBF24CB33adfslur0mdoaur03jadl207.46.248.1 6>, Frank
    Dreyfus <fdreyfusnyw.com> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I can get e-mail, etc. so I know the nic is properly configured.
    >
    >However I can't see other computers in the workgroup. I can't even see
    >myself in Network Places.
    >
    >The message says it's unable to browse and I may not have permission; I
    >do. This is a home installation. There is nothing, or should be nothing
    >to keep me from seeing the workgroup.
    >
    >File and printer sharing is enabled.
    >
    >I tried netsh/interface/ip/reset (this is something that has worked for
    >me on other systems) but it didn't help.
    >
    >I re-installed Win XP using the Upgrade option. It didn't help.
    >
    >What can I do to get this to work?
    >
    >Thanks, Frank
    I've written a web site that should help you solve the problem:

    Windows XP Network Troubleshooting
    [url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot[/url]

    Please pay particular attention to these sections:

    1. Firewalls: Permanently disable XP's built-in Internet Connection
    Firewall on local area network connections -- it's for use only on a
    direct modem connection to the Internet. Disable and un-install all
    other firewalls while troubleshooting.

    2. Protocols: Use only one for File and Printer Sharing. If the
    network needs more than one protocol, unbind File and Printer Sharing
    from all but one of them.

    3. NetBIOS over TCP/IP: Make sure that it's enabled on all computers.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  2. #2

    I am having the same problem. I listed it as not being
    able to connect to my workgroup, but I do have Internet
    connectivity.

    I have checked the firewall settings, enabled Netbios
    over TCP/IP, and even reset TCP/IP. Steve's website is
    awesome and informative, but I still cannot see other
    computers in my workgroup here at home.

    Microsoft's tip for the error message I received was to
    make sure the browser service was started... which it
    is... would anyone else have any other suggestions... Is
    there a way to uninstall all networking components and
    reinstall them?

    Brent

    questions
    >addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
    >
    >Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    >[url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    >.

    Brent Guest

  3. #3

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <com> wrote in

    Thanks Steve!

    It was ZoneAlarm blocking the local zone (the LAN).

    I can't count the number of times I've been burnt by Firewalls blocking
    things that they shouldn't.

    It should be the first thing I think of but, somehow, it always seems to
    be the last.

    Thanks, Frank
    Frank Guest