Professional Web Applications Themes

Having trouble with a second NIC in an OS X server - Mac Networking

I enabled the second NIC on my OS X server, now I'm not sure all my services are bound to the both adapters. They are on separate IP networks, and I should be able to "see" its web pages from either network, as well as ftp/rtsp, etc. But it seems to get some stuff to work properly, I have to disable the original NIC. Any thoughts or suggestions, or where I should look for reference material? Thanks for any help you can provide. Dallash...

  1. #1

    Default Having trouble with a second NIC in an OS X server

    I enabled the second NIC on my OS X server, now I'm not sure all my
    services are bound to the both adapters. They are on separate IP
    networks, and I should be able to "see" its web pages from either
    network, as well as ftp/rtsp, etc.

    But it seems to get some stuff to work properly, I have to disable the
    original NIC.

    Any thoughts or suggestions, or where I should look for reference
    material?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Dallash
    DallasH Guest

  2. #2

    In article <642f4208.0309021433.246ea4f3posting.google.com >,
    [email]dallasharmonaristotle.net[/email] (DallasH) wrote:
    > I enabled the second NIC on my OS X server, now I'm not sure all my
    > services are bound to the both adapters. They are on separate IP
    > networks, and I should be able to "see" its web pages from either
    > network, as well as ftp/rtsp, etc.
    >
    > But it seems to get some stuff to work properly, I have to disable the
    > original NIC.
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions, or where I should look for reference
    > material?
    Sorry for a me too :-( but Apple's User Manuals don't really have enough
    detail, and the man pages refer to stuff not implemented in OS-X & v.v.

    I just had an old beige G3 die and want to transfer its web and
    QuickTime Streaming (both running on desktop OS-X) into an X-Serve
    running OS-X-Server.

    To avoid DNS/url confusion I thought I'd alias the old box's IP nr onto
    the X-Serve main port en0. The second port, like yours, is firewalling a
    lab of student machines. You have to set up natd & ipfw. Turn off
    Apple's Firewall and use Fred's from

    [url]http://xdeb.org/fredrik/comp/download.phtml[/url]

    However, IP aliasing apparently is only to add redundancy to the system.
    System Preferences -> Network -> TCP/IP -> Show: Network Port
    Configurations has a list of available ports and configs.

    I can add an extra IP nr to any port,
    I can click and drag items to change their order,
    what then happens is that the system uses that order as a priority
    rating based on availability. If the item at the top of the list is up
    and running all services will attempt to run out of that port. This is
    even if I have bound a service to an IP nr in eg.
    /etc/httpd/httpd.conf, or
    /Library/QuicktimeStreaming/Config/streamingserver.xml

    But wait, it gets worse: in the Terminal ifconfig
    will show what it believes is the current configuration of your network
    ports with IPv6 and IP numbers, speed, duplex, etc

    netstat -r will give the routing information for established routes,
    including which port each is bound to.

    Each of these is giving me conflicting answers...
    Peter KERR Guest

  3. #3

    In article <642f4208.0309021433.246ea4f3posting.google.com >,
    [email]dallasharmonaristotle.net[/email] (DallasH) wrote:
    > I enabled the second NIC on my OS X server, now I'm not sure all my
    > services are bound to the both adapters. They are on separate IP
    > networks, and I should be able to "see" its web pages from either
    > network, as well as ftp/rtsp, etc.
    >
    > But it seems to get some stuff to work properly, I have to disable the
    > original NIC.
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions, or where I should look for reference
    > material?
    >

    > Thanks for any help you can provide.
    >
    > Dallash
    For listening -

    IP address: listen on specified address
    127.0.0.1: listen only on 127.0.0.1 from localhost virtual interface
    0.0.0.0: listen on all addresses

    OSX doesn't divide up outbound traffic. It starts with the first
    adaptor and works its way down the list until it finds a route. The
    working route is memorized for future connections.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest