Professional Web Applications Themes

Health Question - Linux / Unix Administration

This is off topic, but I have a quick health question and wanted to get some other admin's opinions. My office is 12 by 18 feet and I have 16 computers and 5 monitors in my office. I am wondering if being around all of the computers for 8 hours a day could be causing adverse health problems. I do seem to get headaches a lot and I'm sure the noise level is not good for me. Have any of you had similar situations where you had negative health problems? If so, what (if anything) did you do to resolve ...

  1. #1

    Default Health Question

    This is off topic, but I have a quick health question and wanted to get
    some other admin's opinions.

    My office is 12 by 18 feet and I have 16 computers and 5 monitors in my
    office. I am wondering if being around all of the computers for 8 hours
    a day could be causing adverse health problems. I do seem to get
    headaches a lot and I'm sure the noise level is not good for me.

    Have any of you had similar situations where you had negative health
    problems? If so, what (if anything) did you do to resolve the situation?

    Are there any standards/regulations/guidelines about working around a
    specific number of computers? (OSHA,etc.)

    Are there any other health problems I should be concerned about working
    around all of the computers for 8 hours a day?

    Thanks for any responses.

    Ken.
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Health Question

    In article <OO6Nf.52386$bellsouth.net>,
    Ken Arnold <com> wrote:

    Should be a problem if you wear your tin-foil helmet:

    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:33:19 -0600, Ken Arnold <com> wrote:

    Check your screen refresh rates. 60Hz will give me an awful headache,
    to the point of, if I'm at someone else's monitor, I won't work on their
    system until I reset it to 72 or so. Especially if there's florescant
    lights.

    Well, if 60Hz is a concern to you, there really isn't any evidence to
    support the FUD about that, so I'd look elsewhere for a more likely
    cause.

    There's noise levels, but unless your systems are a lot louder than any
    I've heard, you're nowhere near them. But you could perhaps get a set
    of noise-cancelling headphones to eliminate that possibility; a friend
    has a set from Bose which works very well.

    Yeah, pasty skin, lack of social skills, caffeine addiction, and a
    propensity to become somewhat pear-shaped. Other than that, not
    particularly. Well, carpal tunnel if you don't pay attention to your
    (usually) mouse-hand wrist.

    You sure about that?

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    Ken Arnold wrote:

    I consider it on-topic.

    When I spend extended time in the raised-floor
    data-centers, that's a different story. I try to keep my
    ear-plugs ready and I try to remember to take them
    into the data center. If I spend a few days in their,
    those plugs see constant wear. I don't know how to
    compare the noise level in your office with the roar
    in a data center, but if you have problems hearing
    folks speak to you, it's time to get mickey mouse
    muffles or insert plugs. Folks who work on the
    tarmac at airports need to use both, not us in the
    computing fields.

    Screens - Some have flicker problems some don't. I
    don't but I know plenty who do. For me the biggest
    problem is glare and eye strain. There are shields that
    can be put in front of the screens but I tend to tilt the
    screen so the reflections aren't direct. An
    ergonomic solution not a technological one. Also
    some have problems with eye strain and visual
    accuity. That's another one I don't have bu know plenty
    who do. Set your windowing system to use bigger fonts.

    Repetitive stress - Ergonomics are *important*. Over
    a decade ago I started to show signsof carpal tunnel.
    I changed the angle of my keyboard, the adjustment of
    my car, moved up the arms on the chair and so on.
    Goodbye symptoms ever since. Amazing difference
    and with neither medication nor surgery. Carpal tunnel
    isn't the only posibility - I have nerve issues that come from
    how I sleep rather than from keyboards, but I started
    wearing tennis elbow braces and once again changed the
    angle my chair is at. Bingo, goodbye another nerve issue
    without meds or surgery.

    Sedentary work - Get out there and walk. Chase the dog in
    the back yard. Out and about weekends. Volunteer to to
    the hardware stuff when a big box arrives in the raised floor
    data center. Running cables is pretty good exercise, chuckle.

    Work focus hurting home life - I don't have a hobbiest network
    at home. Sure, there are some computers and such but I
    don't spend much time on them at home. More time with my
    wife, time at my lodge, non-work stuff so that I don't obsess
    about work and go bonkers.

    Now if only I could avoid that vending machine and its
    unending supply of junk. I've read those dietary guides and
    I wonder at that 3-5 servings of veggie thing. Uhm, that's
    my lunch. Does it really mean I'm not supposed to have
    veggies at dinner? ;^) Anyways, eat right and it's far too
    easy to eat out of vending machines.

    Doug Guest