Professional Web Applications Themes

Heavy Magenta Cast from InDesign CS2 - Adobe Indesign Windows

I posted a similar message on the color management forum but didn't get a solution. HELP! I recently installed the full CS2 Suite on my Windows XP machies (1GB RAM and tons of disk space on a 2.53 MHz Pentium 4). I'm quite experienced in color management, but have had a strange sporadic problem when printing proofs on my Epson 2200 for jobs I am sending out for printing. This has happened more than once on different files. These jobs happened to be RGB files, since they were ultimately going to an RGB Lightjet. I never had this problem with ...

  1. #1

    Default Heavy Magenta Cast from InDesign CS2

    I posted a similar message on the color management forum but didn't get a solution. HELP!

    I recently installed the full CS2 Suite on my Windows XP machies (1GB RAM and tons of disk space on a 2.53 MHz Pentium 4). I'm quite experienced in color management, but have had a strange sporadic problem when printing proofs on my Epson 2200 for jobs I am sending out for printing. This has happened more than once on different files. These jobs happened to be RGB files, since they were ultimately going to an RGB Lightjet. I never had this problem with CS1.

    In the print dialog box, I selected Doent as source and my custom Epson 2200 profile for destination. The printer driver was set properly with No Color Management, which was how I built the custom printer profile. No double profiles were used.

    The colors had a heavy magenta cast. I checked my settings and again reprinted with the same result. I had Adobe Bridge, Adobe Photoshop, and Outlook running in the background. When I printed this file, I had selected "optimized subsampling" and "medium transparency flattening" from the ID print dialog. I checked every setting I could find. Everything seemed to be in order.

    I finally decided to do a proof setup and selected my custom inkjet profile as the proof, with RelCol and BPC. All colors were withing gamut, so I saw no change on my monitor. I then decided to print using the "Proof" space as source. I also changed the output to send all data instead of optimized output, and I also set the flattener to high rez. This printed out perfectly. What is really weird, is that I then decided to print with the source set to "Doet" (as I had originally), but left my output data and flattening at high rez. This also printed out perfectly. I admit that I closed Bridge and PS, thinking it may be a RAM issue.

    This happened the other day, and it popped up again today (different file). I didn't change anything at all, but my prints suddenly went wacko. Does anybody have a clue what might be happening? I suspect a bug, a conflict or something like that.

    Thanks,

    Lou
    Lou_Dina@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Heavy Magenta Cast from InDesign CS2

    Did you check the printer itself?
    ID._Awe@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    ID. Awe,

    Thanks for the comment. Yes, the printer is fine, nozzle check is fine, settings are correct, etc.

    I have been working with Adobe tech support, but no solution yet. Preliminary indications are that this problem is most likely related to the InDesign CS2 driver itself, or possibly a conflict with the driver and something else.

    I say this because we exported to PDF from ID and the resulting PDF looked and printed fine. But....when printing to Adobe PDF (which utilizes the ID driver, much the same as printing to a printer) the resulting PDF has the same heavy magenta cast.

    It could possibly be memory related, a conflict, or something like that. A few other people on the Color Management Forum have also reported this problem, so I am not alone.

  4. #4

    New Information on the dread Magenta Cast.....

    I just got off the phone with Adobe Tech Support. The problem with the pink/magenta cast may be doent specific (it has happened to me on 3 different new doents in 3 weeks). I created a new blank doent of the same size as my original trouble doent. Then I copied all elements and images from the old doent (the one that printed magenta) and pasted them into the new blank doent. The new doent printed fine ~ no cast at all.

    This suggests that something in the doent or doent header may be getting corrupted at some point, perhaps during the Save process. Personally, I suspect very strongly that InDesign CS2 is causing the problem. I NEVER had this problem with any of the products in the original CS. It started right when I loaded CS2. BTW, I uninstalled IDCS2 and reinstalled it, but that didn't help. The only thing that has worked so far is the procedure mentioned above.

    I asked Tech Support to elevate this problem to a higher level and they told me they would not at this point, unless others complain of the same problem.

    So, if you are having this problem, call InDesign Tech Support at 206-675-6311, and refer to case number 171664208. Also, refer to this thread. I have mentioned that others are having the same problem, so we need people to complain.

    If you are having this problem, (like a few others in the color management forum), try the above procedure and see if it works for you.

    Regards, Lou
    Lou_Dina@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    More feedback on the Magenta Cast Problem.....

    I created another new doent in InDesign CS2. As with the others, this was an RGB doent, RGB transparency blend space, all RGB defined colors, etc. Windowx XP, 1GB RAM, plenty of hard disk space, etc. It displayed and soft proofed fine on my monitor, but printed with the heavy magenta cast alluded to in earlier posts. All settings were correct.

    This was a simple doent with one placed image (16 bit, multiplayered PSD file) and four text boxes. The image and two of the text boxes had a drop shadow.

    I decided to eliminate the drop shadows on these three components and the file printed normally with the exact same settings! Same doent, same exact components, but no drop shadow.

    I have contacted Adobe again, and they FINALLY bumped it to a higher level. I'm still not sure if this is a flaw in IDCS2 itself or whether there is a hardware or software conflict. All I know is I NEVER had this problem with IDCS1. Just wanted to post an update in case others are having the same issue (as I know some people are).

    If it is resolved definitely, I will certainly make a final post.

  6. #6

    Lou,

    Do all of your problem files have 16-bit images? Don't know why it would necessarily matter, but most printers aren't set up to handle 16-bit for output -- postscript certainly doesn't support it. What happens if you convert to 8-bit for placing in ID?

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the comment, Peter. I'll have to try an 8-bit file in place of the 16 bit file.

    It is worth noting that same 16 bit files printed from Photoshop are not problematic.

    Nonetheless, I will give it a try when I get back to work on Monday.

    Regards, Lou
    Lou_Dina@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Peter,

    I tried your suggestion this morning at work. I took the exact same IDCS2 doent and converted the single placed image from 16 to 8 bit. The PS file was a multilayered, Adobe RGB PSD file. Transparency blend space was set to RGB (all elements and images are RGB). As long as there was a drop shadow applied to the image in IDCS2, I had a magenta cast in the print out (but no on screen). Remove the drop shadow and the cast in the print goes away.

  9. #9

    Lou,

    At this point it does sound like it's some sort of transparency issue and your particular hardware setup. Did you send the problem files to Adobe (i.e. did they ask for them) to see if they could te the problem?

  10. #10

    Peter,

    Yes...I sent all the files to Adobe. One person I spoke to in tech support said they didn't know if they could te the problem or not because they didn't have an Epson printer to print the image out with (which I find amazing). From what I can determine, this seems to be a print stream issue due to IDCS2 file header corruption, print engine, transparency or a combination of these issues. It could be a software or hardware conflict, but other people have seen this problem as well.

    Supposedly, it has been elevated to a higher level at Adobe, so hopefully, they will be able to find the problem.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

  11. #11

    Good Luck
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest