Professional Web Applications Themes

Heeeeeelp: Prevent to Drop the Databse - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I have created client server visual basic application, in which I am allowing to drop thedatabse to user. It works fine when a single user is working on it, but it gives problem at same time multiple user working on same database and one of them want to drop the databse. It gives following error "-2147217900 (80040e14) can not drop the database, it is currently in use....." How do I prevent this? Is there any way to know someone is using the database? or I can lock the database ? So I can give the error message accordingly?...

Default Heeeeeelp: Prevent to Drop the Databse

I have created client server visual basic application, in which I am allowing to drop thedatabse to user. It works fine when a single user is working on it, but it gives problem at same time multiple user working on same database and one of them want to drop the databse. It gives following error

"-2147217900 (80040e14) can not drop the database, it is currently in use....."

How do I prevent this?

Is there any way to know someone is using the database? or I can lock the database ? So I can give the error message accordingly?

Bauji Guest

Default Re: Heeeeeelp: Prevent to Drop the Databse

You should keep your own running tab of users currently accessing the DB and only allow them to drop it when it can be converted to single-user mode?

What database? Sounds like SQL Server?

ON a side note ......why would you ever want to 'drop' the database?

Chris.
    "Bauji" <com> wrote in message news:e%phx.gbl...

I have created client server visual basic application, in which I am allowing to drop thedatabse to user. It works fine when a single user is working on it, but it gives problem at same time multiple user working on same database and one of them want to drop the databse. It gives following error

How do I prevent this?

Is there any way to know someone is using the database? or I can lock the database ? So I can give the error message accordingly?

Chris Guest

No I dont want to kill all the spides, I want to gove error message to that
    person who is trying to delete database.

"Anith Sen" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    >
    > You can use sp_who /sp_who2 system procedures. Or you can query the
    > master..sysprocesses table to see the current connections.
    >
    > To remove them, you can either kill all the spids in a loop or you can do
    > the popular method :
    >
    > ALTER DATABASE db SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
    >
    > --
    > - Anith
    > ( Please reply to newsgroups only )
    >
    >[/ref]

Bauji Guest

I'm sorry I have no idea of how to achieve this from a client app - I'm talking from a sys admin point of view using the SQl Server 2000 MMC Console to place the db into single user mode to do admin tasks on it.

Chris.

"Bauji" <com> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    I am using sql server 2000.

Actually it is multicompany application, and database is created by the name of company code. I am allowing the user to deleting database and I just want take the precaution, if someone delete the shared database so an eror message should display.

How do I know that database in single-user mode? Is there any way of any command?

"Chris Barber" <co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    You should keep your own running tab of users currently accessing the DB and only allow them to drop it when it can be converted to single-user mode?

Chris.

How do I prevent this?

Chris Guest

From what I read in the other replies, what you should do is write error handling code into your app to produce a more user-friendly error message.

-regards, -marty nicholson
    "Bauji" <com> wrote in message news:e#phx.gbl...

How do I prevent this?

Martin Guest

Dear

whatever you are saying is true, but how do I trap the error code, as I dont know what error number is returning the application?

Ash

"Martin Nicholson" <com> wrote in message news:%235W$phx.gbl...
    From what I read in the other replies, what you should do is write error handling code into your app to produce a more user-friendly error message.

How do I prevent this?

Bauji Guest

You already have the appropriate error number:

Chris.
    "Bauji" <com> wrote in message news:%phx.gbl...
    Dear

whatever you are saying is true, but how do I trap the error code, as I dont know what error number is returning the application?

Ash

How do I prevent this?

Chris Guest

But it did not work every time
    "Chris Barber" <co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:%phx.gbl...

Chris.
    Dear

Ash

How do I prevent this?

Bauji Guest

Why would you want to give USERS the ability to drop databases?!?!

Personally, I would implement a system whereby a user could mark
    a database as being suitable for deletion; then implement scheduled
    code on the server that dropped marked databases if appropriate...

"Bauji" <com> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    I am using sql server 2000.

Actually it is multicompany application, and database is created by the name of company code. I am allowing the user to deleting
    database and I just want take the precaution, if someone delete the shared database so an eror message should display.

How do I know that database in single-user mode? Is there any way of any command?

"Chris Barber" <co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    You should keep your own running tab of users currently accessing the DB and only allow them to drop it when it can be converted
    to single-user mode?

Chris.

I have created client server visual basic application, in which I am allowing to drop thedatabse to user. It works fine when a
    single user is working on it, but it gives problem at same time multiple user working on same database and one of them want to drop
    the databse. It gives following error

How do I prevent this?

Is there any way to know someone is using the database? or I can lock the database ? So I can give the error message
    accordingly?

Daniel Guest

Therein lies the problem - dropping a multi-user databse is a sysy admin function, not really a user function.

As Daniel says - mark it and then deny users accessing it at the client code. You could implement a periodic check to see if its in use and notify when there are no connections and so allow the 'drop' at that time.

Sorry I can't really help you with the T-SQL - grab a copy of SQL Server Books Online and check out ALTER etc.

Chris.
    "Bauji" <com> wrote in message news:%23UQ%phx.gbl...
    But it did not work every time
    "Chris Barber" <co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:%phx.gbl...

Chris.
    Dear

Ash

How do I prevent this?

Chris Guest