Professional Web Applications Themes

hello everyone, new to forum - Adobe Photoshop Elements

hello I've just puchased PE2, I'm pleased with it, also purchased Oly C50z and trying to get the best out of both. I've taken some photographs, mainly of friends and have used too powerful a flash setting insomuch that I've now got a halo on the side of the face(s). I've no chance of re-taking some of the photos (friends were visiting) so I'm trying to make the best of a bad job. Anyone know how to eradicate this "shadow"? As a complete newbie to PE2 I'm sure there's tools to use (apart from erasing the pixels individually, don't like ...

  1. #1

    Default hello everyone, new to forum

    hello

    I've just puchased PE2, I'm pleased with it, also purchased Oly C50z and trying to get the best out of both.

    I've taken some photographs, mainly of friends and have used too powerful a flash setting insomuch that I've now got a halo on the side of the face(s). I've no chance of re-taking some of the photos (friends were visiting) so I'm trying to make the best of a bad job.

    Anyone know how to eradicate this "shadow"? As a complete newbie to PE2 I'm sure there's tools to use (apart from erasing the pixels individually, don't like the jaggie effect that's left) but not sure where to look.

    Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    fran
    franjo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: hello everyone, new to forum

    Hi Franjo and welcome. You'll get your help real soon but I just wanted to say welcome and hope you stick around.
    Marty
    Marty Guest

  3. #3

    It would help if we could see your photos. Do you know how to post them to a photo web site like pbase.com? Have you learned how to use the 'save for web feature'? I'm sure your photos can be improved with one of several techniques. Seeing the problem would make it easier to give suggestions.

    Oh, and welcome to the forum Fran.
    Mark Guest

  4. #4

    No sorry I don't any advice?

    franjo
    franjo Guest

  5. #5

    hello Marty

    Thanks for the welcome. It seems a nice friendly board here, glad I found it.

    fran
    franjo Guest

  6. #6

    Franjo, if this halo is the shadow of your subject, probably the best way is to apply the clone tool to replace it carefully.

    With te built in flash it is rather hard to avoid this; just only with portrait size images hold the camera in a way that the flash will be on top; thuis way the shadow will mainly be behind your subject.

    Leen
    Leen Guest

  7. #7

    if this halo is the shadow of your subject, probably the best way is to apply the clone tool to replace it carefully.

    Leen - I think that's what I am going to have to do. I've half done one photo with the clone tool but it's so painstakingly slow! I thought there might have been a better way of doing it. I don't mind at all putting in the time if I can get a good result.

    I'll have to learn to be more careful with the angle I shoot at I suppose :-)

    many thanks for your advice
    fran
    franjo Guest

  8. #8

    franjo,
    Cloning should help. I offer the following in order to facilitate the process:
    1. Open image
    2. Open layers palette with layers (drag on tab)
    3. Duplicate layer and shut off visibility of background layer
    4. Open new layer (layer>new>layer)
    5. Access clone tool and check the "use all layers" box
    6. Now clone in the new layer which should be active and at the top of the stack. If you make mistakes, clone inappropriately, or what have you, you can always delete this layer that you are working on and start over. Also you can adjust the layer's opacity, etc.
    Ken
    Kenneth Guest

  9. #9

    Ken

    Thanks for advice, will certainly give it a go.
    fran
    franjo Guest