Professional Web Applications Themes

Hello Safari, Farewell Omniweb - Mac Applications & Software

Farewell Omniweb, you served me well. Until today, that is. OK, we know they are obviously under pressure with the release of Safari, but did they really have to stop it working all of a sudden unless I coughed up for a license on the spot? OK, a bit of background. I have been using Omniweb for over a year on their "use for free" license. I fully expected that I would eventually pay up, but today when I fired it up I was invited to pay up or quit the program. Absolutely zero notice given. I could have handled ...

  1. #1

    Default Hello Safari, Farewell Omniweb

    Farewell Omniweb, you served me well.

    Until today, that is.

    OK, we know they are obviously under pressure with the release of
    Safari, but did they really have to stop it working all of a sudden
    unless I coughed up for a license on the spot?

    OK, a bit of background. I have been using Omniweb for over a year
    on their "use for free" license. I fully expected that I would
    eventually pay up, but today when I fired it up I was invited
    to pay up or quit the program.

    Absolutely zero notice given. I could have handled it if I had
    been given a few day's notice. Thursday night it worked, Saturday
    morning it didn't.

    What upset me even more were the smartass comments in the
    popup window inviting me to part with money. I might have paid
    up but for those...

    Result: A once happy Omniweb user who won't touch that company
    ever again.
    Paul Sture Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hello Safari, Farewell Omniweb

    In article <yx3dcelQErZGelias.decus.ch>, Paul Sture
    <p_stureelias.decus.ch> wrote:
    > Farewell Omniweb, you served me well.
    >
    > Until today, that is.
    >
    > OK, we know they are obviously under pressure with the release of
    > Safari, but did they really have to stop it working all of a sudden
    > unless I coughed up for a license on the spot?
    >
    > OK, a bit of background. I have been using Omniweb for over a year
    > on their "use for free" license. I fully expected that I would
    > eventually pay up, but today when I fired it up I was invited
    > to pay up or quit the program.
    >
    > Absolutely zero notice given. I could have handled it if I had
    > been given a few day's notice. Thursday night it worked, Saturday
    > morning it didn't.
    I assume you were using one of the 4.5 betas. Mine also expired
    recently. Presumably you were aware when you downloaded it that the
    trial license expired on a certain date. I didn't remember when it
    was, but I knew it would expire, so when I saw the new beta released
    last week I thought "Better get that, I bet that means my current one
    will expire soon." And sure enough, it did.

    The release notes for the current beta say "OmniWeb 4.5 beta 2 will run
    until August 1, 2003 if used in unlicensed mode." You should download
    that -- that gives you, let's see, 26 days' notice.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  3. #3

    [email]p_stureelias.decus.ch[/email] (Paul Sture) wrote:
    >Farewell Omniweb, you served me well.
    >
    >Until today, that is.
    >
    >OK, we know they are obviously under pressure with the release of
    >Safari, but did they really have to stop it working all of a sudden
    >unless I coughed up for a license on the spot?
    >
    >OK, a bit of background. I have been using Omniweb for over a year
    >on their "use for free" license. I fully expected that I would
    >eventually pay up, but today when I fired it up I was invited
    >to pay up or quit the program.
    >
    >Absolutely zero notice given. I could have handled it if I had
    >been given a few day's notice. Thursday night it worked, Saturday
    >morning it didn't.
    >
    >What upset me even more were the smartass comments in the
    >popup window inviting me to part with money. I might have paid
    >up but for those...
    >
    >Result: A once happy Omniweb user who won't touch that company
    >ever again.
    OmniWeb 4.5 b2 might restore free use. They mixed up the last release,
    though. Downloading b2 gets you b1, which doesn't support free use.

    I use OmniWeb because of its filtering. Whenever some banner site
    s up the page, I enter it into the filter and I never have to worry
    about it again. Very nice!

    The one thing that's really starting to me off, though, is
    OmniWeb's MIME type guessing. It's broken and it's a stupid idea. It's
    preventing content on my own web site from displaying properly.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  4. #4

    In article <mcmurtri-662C61.00475105072003typhoon.sonic.net>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrisonic.net> wrote:
    > I use OmniWeb because of its filtering. Whenever some banner site
    > s up the page, I enter it into the filter and I never have to worry
    > about it again. Very nice!
    Mike Solomon's PithHelmet does that for Safari. Best ad filter I've ever
    seen. (I've used WebFree, WebWasher, iCab's filters, hostlists, custom
    CSS before.)

    <http://www.culater.net/osd/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.html>
    --
    Lambert meis
    Lambert Dickmeis Guest

  5. #5

    Paul Sture wrote:
    > Farewell Omniweb, you served me well.
    >
    > Until today, that is.
    I've just did the opposite: because Apple's been going all-metal and I
    prefer the pre-Panther Aqua interface, I decided to buy an Omniweb license,
    now that they use the same core.

    I know how to turn Safari into an Aqua app, but with those toolbar buttons,
    it actually looks better in metal.

    tom
    Thomas Beck Guest

  6. #6

    In article <050720030023506066%jerrykindallnospam.invalid> , Jerry Kindall <jerrykindallnospam.invalid> writes:
    > In article <yx3dcelQErZGelias.decus.ch>, Paul Sture
    > <p_stureelias.decus.ch> wrote:
    >
    >> Farewell Omniweb, you served me well.
    >>
    >> Until today, that is.
    >>
    >> OK, we know they are obviously under pressure with the release of
    >> Safari, but did they really have to stop it working all of a sudden
    >> unless I coughed up for a license on the spot?
    >>
    >> OK, a bit of background. I have been using Omniweb for over a year
    >> on their "use for free" license. I fully expected that I would
    >> eventually pay up, but today when I fired it up I was invited
    >> to pay up or quit the program.
    >>
    >> Absolutely zero notice given. I could have handled it if I had
    >> been given a few day's notice. Thursday night it worked, Saturday
    >> morning it didn't.
    >
    > I assume you were using one of the 4.5 betas. Mine also expired
    > recently. Presumably you were aware when you downloaded it that the
    > trial license expired on a certain date. I didn't remember when it
    > was, but I knew it would expire, so when I saw the new beta released
    > last week I thought "Better get that, I bet that means my current one
    > will expire soon." And sure enough, it did.
    >
    > The release notes for the current beta say "OmniWeb 4.5 beta 2 will run
    > until August 1, 2003 if used in unlicensed mode." You should download
    > that -- that gives you, let's see, 26 days' notice.
    Thanks for the info. I don't recall anything about an expiry date, but
    it would really have been better if they had put in a message to the
    effect that "this product expires in x days".
    Paul Sture Guest