Professional Web Applications Themes

Help!!! - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could help me in achieve the effect on the face to the left hand side of this image <http://www.twobeats.net/desktops/desktop144.jpg> It looks kinda hand drawn but the details seem precise. Can anyone help please? I use photoshop 7.0.1 and have a set of the nik color efex tools :) Thanks For Any Help! James...

  1. #1

    Default Help!!!

    Avvy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help!!!

    It looks to me like the following was done:
    1) Desaturate
    2) Increase contrast
    3) Colorize
    4) Hand-paint the eye
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Duotone with an interlacing effect (Thin 1 pixel horizontal lines using the overlay blend mode). Color the eye blue with a soft brush. Duplicate the layer and use motion blur for the streaked look (mask the portions you don't want blurred).
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you duotone it, remember to switch back to RGB mode to color the eye (and I'd make sure to do this on a separate layer or with an adjustment layer).

    I'd probably actually do the duotone effect with a hue/sat colorize adjustment layer with the eye on a separate adj. layer myself, but that's just me and I rarely do things the "correct" way.
    Emma_d_Anise@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    thanks for the help :D im just a bit confused with the second method given. Could you please explain to me what duotone is and how its done as i have never actually used of, or heard of it before. Does it only work on the pixels you have selected as you mention selecting only horizonal 1 pixel lines??? If so are there any quick methods to selecting those lines?

    Thanks!!!
    Avvy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Duotoning is done on the entire doent. Go to Image>Mode>Greyscale. Then Image>Mode>Duotone. You can select your ink colors there. Then switch back to RGB (same way as above) to do your blue part.

    The single-pixel selecting is for the lined effect. An easy way to select the lines is with the single row marquee tool.

    For the colorizing, though, I'd really suggest doing a Hue/Sat colorization, here. And adjustment layers would be even better. That way you don't have to deal with modes or the print-bound options and effects that duotoning involves. You can apply a hue/sat adjustment layer by clicking the adjustment layer icon at the bottom of your layers palette. Select "Hue/Saturation," check "colorize" and play with the sliders until you get the coloring you're trying to achieve. Select the eye (or the portion you'd like colored differently than the rest) and apply a new Hue/Sat adjustment layer with colorize checked and adjust as you wish. This way you can discard your changes if you don't like them as adjustment layers do not alter your original image.

    Also, for the lines, I'd set and apply a pattern fill but that's just me.

    ~Em
    Emma_d_Anise@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Avvy,

    Go with emma's suggestion on hugh and saturation. Pattern stamp tool for the lines as well. Everything can be done with 4 layers.

    Layer 1 - The image you wish to edit.
    Layer 2 - The Lines
    Layer 3 - Duplicate of Layer 1 with motion blur and a layer mask.
    Layer 4 - Hue/Sat (colorize mode) adjustment layer.

    The pattern should just be a single black pixel with a single white pixel on top. After you do the fill on layer 2 change the blend mode of that layer to Overlay.
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Avvy,

    Duotone is a type of image that uses two inks only. Think of it as greyscale (which uses shades of black and white) but a duotone can have any two colors other than black or white. Photoshop can actually handle monotones (where you replace black only with another color leaving white intact), duo, tri and quad tones. How to create technically perfect multi-tones for printing can get a little complicated, but we'll leave that for another thread.

    As to how to convert your image to a duotone, first you have to go to Image->Mode->Greyscale (assuming it is not Greyscale already). After it is converted, you go again into Image->Mode-> but now select Duotone. Interestingly enough, PS' default is not a duotone, but a monotone. Select Duotone from the drop down list and you will get two large squares, one black and one white. Click on either and you will get a color picker that lets you select the replacement color. You can also click on the squares that have a straight line running through them to modify the ink profile curve. Experiment with them to get the effect you want. You can even save the curve if you like the result so that you can reaply later to a different image. The other options you will see in the dialogs apply mostly for printing, and unless you are doing very exacting print work, I would not worry about them too much.

    As for how to accomplish the rest of the image you want, I think there are very good suggestions in this thread so I will not ellaborate on that.

    Carlos
    Carlos_G_Najera@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for all the help guys :D! Ive been using photoshop for ages and have always tried faking the duotone look using other methods so learning that there is a tool to do it is great lol. Ill let you know how i get on :D Thanks Again All for the great advice :D
    Avvy@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I am getting an error message "cannot open *.psd because is not a valid photoshop doent" the file is an image created on a MAC using photoshop 7.0 I am using photoshop 7.0 in windows. can any one tell me how I can get these files opened so that I can edit them.
    Jean-Luc_Fellous@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    J-L F:

    I cannot answer your question - sounds like it should work fine. You should start a new thread/topic. You will get help.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I cannot answer your question - sounds like it should work fine. You should
    start a new thread/topic. You will get help.

    Actually the thread title is "help!" making Jean's question or anybody's question appropriate for this thread. :)
    emencz@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    True, but it much more likely you will get help if you post to a new thread.
    Carlos_G_Najera@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    True, but it much more likely you will get help if you post to a new thread.

    And be sure to title the thread "Help # 2".
    emencz@adobeforums.com Guest

  • You may post replies