Professional Web Applications Themes

Help! - FreeBSD

Every time I turn round, someone is telling me that I should update to a more recent version of freeBSD. Each time I try, I encounter nothing but trouble. Before I even begin: *CAN* freeBSD be installed on the fourth of four SCSI disk drives on the second of two SCSI cards? I know of no way to record the error messages other than with pencil and paper -- not a very efficient method in this computer age, especially when one is in the throes of frustration. I tried some time ago, updating to 4.5, the latest version for which ...

  1. #1

    Default Help!

    Every time I turn round, someone is telling me that I should update
    to a more recent version of freeBSD. Each time I try, I encounter
    nothing but trouble.

    Before I even begin: *CAN* freeBSD be installed on the fourth of
    four SCSI disk drives on the second of two SCSI cards?

    I know of no way to record the error messages other than with
    pencil and paper -- not a very efficient method in this computer
    age, especially when one is in the throes of frustration.

    I tried some time ago, updating to 4.5, the latest version for
    which I have a CDROM. When I encountered problems and queried this
    list, I received a message to the effect that the installer should
    quit working after X years. Perhaps that was tongue in cheek but
    it was singularly unhelpful.

    So, I continued to use 3.4 which, aside from the fact that I can't
    add anything new or update any ports or ... has stood me in good
    stead for years.

    Finally getting tired of using netscape 4.76 -- I've been unsuccessful
    at finding any "modern" browser that I can install under 3.4 --
    and having it crashed by "modern" web sites, I decided to try again.
    I fetched the floppy images for 4.11 -- I have no interest in 5.x,
    4.x is far enough removed from real BSD that I wouldn't go that
    route it I had a choice.

    Busy with other things, I finally got round to trying an ftp
    install today.

    Before I proceed, I suppose that I'd best tell you what my system
    comprises:

    M'board: Intel D845WN

    CPU: P4, 2.4GHz, 478, 512K, 400MHz FSB

    Memory: Crucial 512MB, 168-pin, DIMM 64Mx64, PC133 SDRAM

    Case: Antec Sonata with Antec "TruePower" supply.

    SCSI cards (presently, the Adaptec is in the PCI slot closer to the
    CPU):
    Adaptec 2940
    Tekram DC-390U2W

    Ethernet; Intel PRO100S

    Disk drives (The first three are on the 2940, the fourth on the
    Tekram):
    IBM DORS-32160 WA0A, 2GB (from original system,
    with leftover freeBSD 2.1.5 stuff,
    no longer bootable.)
    Seagate ST34501N 0015, 4GB (with freeBSD 3.4)
    Seagate ST39216N 0010, 9GB (/home -- no OS)
    Seagate ST318517W 0105, 18GB (on which I tried
    to install 4.5 before and 4.11 today.

    CDROM drive: Plextor (don't recall specs.)

    Video card: Matrox Millennium G400, AGP4X, 32MB SGRAM

    Oh -- FWIW, I'm also running XFree86 4.1.0 although that should not
    be relevant to the installation problem but, like the feller says,
    for the sake of completeness...

    (I'll append -- at the end of this message -- dmesg from latest
    boot after unsuccessful installation to cover anything that I've
    forgotten. This system has simply evolved over the years.)

    I hope I won't forget any parts of this; I had to get back to 3.4
    in order to be able to do this e-mail. I got through the fdisk
    and disklabel (re)configuration of the fourth disk onto which I
    planned to install freeBSD 4.11 (having selected "Standard Install")

    Here's what I tried to set up as (Unix) partitions (remember this
    is on the 18GB drive):

    / 128MB # Thought this should be more than enough
    swap 512MB
    /usr 4196MB
    /var 512MB
    /usr/local 4196MB
    /tmp 512MB
    /spare # Everything else -- to be disposed of later.

    I then proceeded to choose the installation "package" or whatever
    it's called -- I chose "ALL" and then replied yes to the query
    about installing the ports collection.

    I believe that the next query was the choice of installation medium;
    I chose (the first) ftp and the first (ftp.freebsd.org?) server in
    the list and fetching the bits and pieces began.

    Within a very few minutes, the installer complained that it had run
    out of space on / -- why it would have tried to fetch everything to
    the root partition is beyond me but that's what it said. Oh --
    there was one previous complaint about not being able to create a
    swap partition that I'd requested as partition b. I don't
    understand that, either.

    Aside (just in case it may be relevant): Recently, I've not been
    able to boot the CDROM. I had no reason to try when I rebuilt the
    system some time ago with the Intel m'board and Antec case. I
    first noticed it some time ago when I tried to install 4.5. I had
    never had a problem with the old Gigabyte m'board system. As I
    said, I don't know if this is relevant but thought I'd better
    mention it just in case.

    Here's the dmesg output:

    Copyright (c) 1992-1999 FreeBSD Inc.
    Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #6: Tue Jun 29 08:43:56 MDT 2004
    sorsby.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL.CRS
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz
    Timecounter "TSC" frequency 2392250892 Hz
    CPU: unknown (2392.25-MHz 686-class CPU)
    Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0xf27 Stepping = 7
    Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE ,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,<b19>,<b 21>,<b22>,MMX,FXSR,<b25>,<b26>,<b27>,<b28>,<b29>,< b31>>
    real memory = 536870912 (524288K bytes)
    config> di wdc1
    config> di wdc0
    config> q
    avail memory = 519696384 (507516K bytes)
    Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc02e4000.
    Preloaded userconfig_script "/boot/kernel.conf" at 0xc02e409c.
    Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
    chip0: <Host to PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=1a30)> rev 0x03 on pci0.0.0
    chip1: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=1a31)> rev 0x03 on pci0.1.0
    chip2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=244e)> rev 0x05 on pci0.30.0
    chip3: <PCI to ISA bridge (vendor=8086 device=2440)> rev 0x05 on pci0.31.0
    uhci0: <UHCI USB Controller (generic)> rev 0x05 int d irq 11 on pci0.31.2
    (New UHCI DeviceId=0x24428086)
    uhci1: <UHCI USB Controller (generic)> rev 0x05 int c irq 11 on pci0.31.4
    (New UHCI DeviceId=0x24448086)
    Probing for devices on PCI bus 1:
    vga0: <Matrox model 0525 graphics accelerator> rev 0x04 int a irq 11 on pci1.0.0
    Probing for devices on PCI bus 2:
    ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 9 on pci2.10.0
    ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
    ncr0: <ncr 53c895 fast40 wide scsi> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on pci2.11.0
    fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x0c int a irq 10 on pci2.12.0
    fxp0: Ethernet address 00:02:b3:eb:02:ba
    Probing for PnP devices:
    Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
    sc0 on isa
    sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
    atkbdc0 at 0x60-0x6f on motherboard
    atkbd0 irq 1 on isa
    psm0 irq 12 on isa
    psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
    sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
    sio0: type 16550A
    sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
    sio1: type 16550A
    fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
    fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
    fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
    ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa
    ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
    ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
    Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
    ppbus0: <hp deskjet 5550> PRINTER MLC,PCL,PML,DW-PCL,DYN,DESKJET
    lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
    lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
    ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
    plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
    vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa
    npx0 on motherboard
    npx0: INT 16 interface
    usb0: <UHCI USB Controller (generic)>
    uhub0 at usb0
    uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    usb1: <UHCI USB Controller (generic)>
    uhub1 at usb1
    uhub1: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2
    Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
    changing root device to da1s1a
    da3 at ncr0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    da3: <SEAGATE ST318417W 0105> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
    da3: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
    da3: 17547MB (35937500 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 2237C)
    da2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
    da2: <SEAGATE ST39216N 0010> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
    da2: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
    da2: 8761MB (17942584 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1116C)
    cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
    cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-32TS 1.03> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
    cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
    cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
    da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
    da1: <SEAGATE ST34501N 0015> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
    da1: 4339MB (8887200 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 553C)
    da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    da0: <IBM DORS-32160 WA0A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
    da0: 2063MB (4226725 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 263C)

    Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

    Kindest regards,

    Charlie
    --
    Charlie Sorsby
    com

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help!

    Charlie Sorsby writes:

    If the version you are currently running does what you require, there is
    no reason for you to update, no matter what anyone says.

    Nobody suggested that you replace all your hardware? Well, you were
    lucky, then. Newer versions of FreeBSD never have bugs; if they don't
    work on a system that worked with an older version of FreeBSD, the only
    possibility is that the hardware somehow failed while you were
    installing the newer version. I've been told this again and again when
    I've had problems, but I obstinately refuse to believe it just because
    someone says it is so.

    If it works, don't change it. Don't listen to the upgrade fanatics who
    constantly install the latest bleeding-edge releases of the OS simply
    because they don't have anything better to do. Never fix what isn't
    broken.

    Ah, that's different ... at least in that case you have a reason to
    upgrade.

    I daresay that lynx will probably run under 3.4, but it's not a very
    exciting browser.

    Where and what is "real BSD"?

    For what it's worth, I have about 128 MB in use on / after a standard
    install of 5.3, which is no doubt bigger than 4.x, but you may still be
    getting close. I put 2 GB on /, and 7% is in use.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  3. #3

    Use your 3.4 FreeBSD system or a win system to download the mini.iso
    file for 4.11 and then burn it to cd. Boot your box from the 4.11
    mini newly created cd and accept the default slice sizes, select not
    to install the ports collection. The ports collection is over 3000
    strong now and some are variations of same base port. You are being
    foolish to select all ports as that is unnecessary and a gross waist
    of disk space. After base install is complete then select the ports
    you want and install separately.

    You are way back level and there has been great changes in the
    system and the sysinstall process. Read and follow this Install
    guide for step by step instructions for 4.11 release as it's the
    same as 4.10.

    http://freebsd.packards-home.net/index.php

    Yes FreeBSD CAN be installed on the fourth of four SCSI disk drives
    on the second of two SCSI cards, but if you have other operating
    systems on those other disks you will have to manual update the MBR
    (master boot record) multi boot program on the HD the PC bios point
    to for selecting which operating system you want to boot from.

  4. #4

    I seem to have shot myself in the foot by trying to provide
    *enough* information about both my system and what I'd tried to do
    and what the results were. I've apparently buried the problem in
    detail. Can't win.... :{

    A few prefatory remarks so that we're talking more or less the same
    language:

    I should also have mentioned but did not that I'm essentially
    totally ignorant about things microsoft -- explaining freeBSD
    things in microsoft terms will only confuse me.

    And that nothing microsoft remains on any of my disks.

    And that when I say "partition" I mean a Unix partition; if I want
    to refer to a "slice," that's what I'll say.

    And now:

    Since I seem to have buried everyone in detail, please let me
    summarize the actual problem here with some background and then
    address a few of the issues you raise. I'll also leave the details
    at the end for anyone who wants to look.

    The problem is that:

    1. I'm trying to install the newer version of freeBSD on a
    separate disk. 3.4 is on a different disk. /home is on another.
    And leftovers from 2.1.5 (mostly /usr and /usr/local is on still
    another. (Which is which is described below in the discription
    of my hardware.)

    2. I had, back in December, tried to install 4.5 on the subject
    disk. That installation was from the Walnut Creek CDROM that I'd
    received when I still subscribed.

    3. The 4.5 installation seemed to work but when trying to boot
    from it, I found that the partitions mounted on, e.g., /usr were
    those of the disk containing 3.4, not those on that (supposedly)
    containing 4.5. (I had provided other mount points for those
    partitions in the disklabel phase (e.g. /usr.34); /usr *should*
    have been a mount point on the disk to which I had attempted to
    install 4.5. After a couple of attempts with the same results,
    I put it on the back burner.

    4. In looking through my notes from that abortive attempt, I find
    the error message:

    Unable to add /mnt/dev/da3s1b as a swap device: Invalid
    Argurment.

    5. It did the same thing this time. I'm thinking that maybe that is
    key to the current problem.

    Is there a limit to the number of swap partitions one can use? I
    have one on each disk; this one would have been the fourth.

    Can that be the reason that it tried to fetch everything into some
    root partition? This is my first attempt at an ftp install so I'm
    unfamiliar with what it actually tries to do. Do I remember
    correctly that the swap partition is used for temporary storage
    during installation?

    6. The last time it seemed to have "thought" that it had successfully
    installed; it just didn't work. This time it just tried to fetch
    everything into the root partition -- *some* root partition -- and
    ran out of space. That makes a certain amount of sense because
    last time, everything was available to it on CDROM; this time it
    was not.

    Aside (regarding failure to boot from CDROM drive):

    I discovered at that time that the system with the Intel m'board
    will *not* boot from the CDROM drive although its predecessor with
    the same hardware except a different m'board did reliably. I have
    found no BIOS setting that will allow the system to do so.

    One thought occurs to me but is not relevant to this discussion
    since I've simply created the boot floppies and boot into the
    installation from them.

    That thought is that, when the old m'board died, by the time I got
    the replacement, I'd forgotten the order that the two SCSI host
    adapters had been in the PCI slots and interchanged them. Perhaps
    the Adaptec (to which the CDROM drive) is connected, should be the
    second of the two so that it's the one set up last.

    Now to the points that Bob raised:

    As mentioned in my original post but possibly not made clear
    enough, my system has a CDROM drive; not a CD-R or CD-RW drive.

    I also mentioned that this system will not boot from the CDROM
    although its predecessor did with the same drive. I haven't been
    able to discover why.

    I just used the entire disk as a freeBSD slice. Or tried to. As I
    recall there was a small piece at the end that was marked unused.

    OK, point taken. But the problem is that I never got that far
    other than answering the initial question about whether I wanted to
    install the ports.

    When it gets to the actual ports-installation phase, does it not
    install them in /usr/ports after the OS has been installed and
    configured?

    Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm afraid that INSTALL.TXT, as fetched
    from freebsd.org, by trying to be all things to all people turns
    out to be less to anyone -- at least to anyone not already very
    familiar with the procedure. I hope that this comment will be
    taken as the constructive criticism it is intended to be.

    The problem, as I see it, is that because it tries to describe
    every possible approach, it is necessary to jump round in the
    doent to find the bits than any describe any one installation.
    That also makes it quite large to print out.

    Thank you! I thought that that should be so but was beginning to
    have doubts.

    Are you saying that simply allowing the installer program to
    install the boot manager on *all* disks is not enough?

    Thank you for taking the time to help.

    Charlie

    Charlie Guest