Professional Web Applications Themes

Help 80004005 Error... - ASP Database

I'm working with a customer who has an NT Server (I think it's SP3) running IIS 4. We just converted the databases to Access 2000 and loaded Access 200 onto the server (we need to make occasional direct fixes right on the server). After making sure we were using the Jet 4 driver for the ODBC DSN we start getting the following: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its ...

  1. #1

    Default Help 80004005 Error...

    I'm working with a customer who has an NT Server (I think it's SP3) running
    IIS 4. We just converted the databases to Access 2000 and loaded Access 200
    onto the server (we need to make occasional direct fixes right on the
    server). After making sure we were using the Jet 4 driver for the ODBC DSN
    we start getting the following:

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine
    cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by
    another user, or you need permission to view its data.

    I also downloaded the latest version of MDAC and installed it. The database
    is on the same drive as IIS. I set the permissions of the IUSR_COMPUTERNAME
    account to full control for the database folder and also for the C:\TEMP
    folder. I removed and recreated an ODBC DSN that points to the database.
    None of these steps cured the problem. Every note I have read seems to
    indicate that this is a permissions problem, is there some step I'm missing?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...! TIA

    --

    Bobby C.
    Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-

    "If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's
    Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The
    Problem." - from the 2002 Despair series posters
    entitled "Consulting"

    Bobby C. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help 80004005 Error...

    Check this out:

    Why do I get database-related 80004005 errors?
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    Best regards,
    [url]http://www.Bullschmidt.com[/url]
    Classic ASP Design Tips, ASP Web Database Sample (Freely Downloadable)

    Bullschmidt Guest

  3. #3

    UGH! Stop using ODBC. [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2126[/url]

    --
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    Default SOLVED: Help 80004005 Error...

    Bobby listened carefully from his corner of the padded cell while 'Bobby C.'
    said:
    > I'm working with a customer who has an NT Server (I think it's SP3)
    > running IIS 4. We just converted the databases to Access 2000 and
    > loaded Access 200 onto the server (we need to make occasional direct
    > fixes right on the server). After making sure we were using the Jet
    > 4 driver for the ODBC DSN we start getting the following:
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    >
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database
    > engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened
    > exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
    >
    > I also downloaded the latest version of MDAC and installed it. The
    > database is on the same drive as IIS. I set the permissions of the
    > IUSR_COMPUTERNAME account to full control for the database folder and
    > also for the C:\TEMP folder. I removed and recreated an ODBC DSN
    > that points to the database. None of these steps cured the problem.
    > Every note I have read seems to indicate that this is a permissions
    > problem, is there some step I'm missing? Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated...! TIA
    After pouring through a lot of material, checking and rechecking
    permissions, I stumbled onto the problem. The server had a temp folder set
    up and the Enviroment | Users Tab had an environment variable set to the
    folder but the Environment | System did not. I spoke with the system
    administrator on the phone and had her tell me what values were present.
    She failed to notice that she was looking at the Users Tab and immediately
    saw the value was there and stopped looking. Once we put a value in for
    that variable on the system tab and rebooted everything was working. The
    link to aspfaq was very helpful in figuring this out, though it wasn't
    plainly obvious. Thanks!