Professional Web Applications Themes

Help a Newbie! - ASP.NET General

New to ASP.NET, and really, web programming in general, so please be gentle! I'm creating a form that allows users their children in an after-school program. It collects contact info, info on the children, etc. It also needs to process their credit card payment. I'm set up with Verisign's PayFlow Link, and posting the data to them and getting a return is no problem. What I'm left wondering about is how can I store all of this data only if the payment is successfully processed? What I was thinking was write the information to a table, along with a unique ...

  1. #1

    Default Help a Newbie!

    New to ASP.NET, and really, web programming in general, so please be gentle!

    I'm creating a form that allows users their children in an after-school
    program. It collects contact info, info on the children, etc. It also
    needs to process their credit card payment.

    I'm set up with Verisign's PayFlow Link, and posting the data to them and
    getting a return is no problem. What I'm left wondering about is how can I
    store all of this data only if the payment is successfully processed? What
    I was thinking was write the information to a table, along with a unique
    identifier, process the credit card, passing the identifier to Verisign as a
    user-defined field. Verisign will post back to another page on my site the
    results, along with the unique identifier. That ASPX page will go into the
    table, mark the record as paid, or delete the record, etc.

    Is this a reasonable way of accomplishing this, or is there another
    preferred method.

    Also, I'm working with Access as a database, or should I just use an XML
    file? I'm not familiar with XML, really, but somewhat familiar with Access
    and classic ASP. I'd love to use SQL Server, but the non-profit that I'm
    trying to do this for isn't going to spend the money to add on SQL Server.
    Anyway, the volume of transactions isn't going to be such that there will be
    a big performance hitch with Access, I don't think.

    Just curious to see if I'm barking up the right tree, or if I'm completely
    off-target.

    Thanks!

    Scott

    Scott Newberry Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: Help a Newbie!

    Hello Scott,

    I agree with Kevin that it is better to use database here instead of xml file. So you could control the data more conveniently
    and make use of some features of Access. Whether it is necessary to use SQL server depends on the size and complexity
    of your data

    Thanks for participating the community.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Get Secure! - [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]

    --------------------
    !From: "Scott Newberry" <scottmeganandscott.com>
    !Subject: Help a Newbie!
    !Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:00:37 -0400
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !
[...]

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Scott,

    You could also try to use MSDE(Microsoft Data Engine) freely.

    MSDE enables developers to build desktop and shared database solutions that easily migrate to SQL Server when the
    solution must scale. Please refer to [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmsde/html/msderoadmap.asp?frame=true[/url] for
    more details.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Get Secure! - [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]

    --------------------
    !From: [email]yhhuangonline.microsoft.com[/email] (Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT])
    !Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:39:55 GMT
    !Subject: RE: Help a Newbie!
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !
    !Hello Scott,
    !
    !I agree with Kevin that it is better to use database here instead of xml file. So you could control the data more conveniently
    !and make use of some features of Access. Whether it is necessary to use SQL server depends on the size and complexity
    !of your data
    !
    !Thanks for participating the community.
    !
    !Best regards,
    !Yanhong Huang
    !Microsoft Online Partner Support
    !
    !Get Secure! - [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]
    !This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    !
    !!From: "Scott Newberry" <scottmeganandscott.com>
    !!Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:00:37 -0400
    !!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet