Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP! "Access is denied to this object." - Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005' - ASP Components

Hi, When I try to do Server.CreateObject on an activeX DLL, I receive the following message: ''''''''''''''''''''''' Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005' Server.CreateObject Access Error /MyDirectory/MyPage.asp, line 118 The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object. ''''''''''''''''''''''' It works on my production server and this is happening on my development server. The only real difference between the two environments are that development has Windows 2000 SP4 with most of the security patches. It use to work but I believe after my network admin added SP4 and the patches, I started receiving these ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP! "Access is denied to this object." - Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'

    Hi,

    When I try to do Server.CreateObject on an activeX DLL, I receive the
    following message:

    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'

    Server.CreateObject Access Error

    /MyDirectory/MyPage.asp, line 118

    The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions.
    Access is denied to this object.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''

    It works on my production server and this is happening on my
    development server. The only real difference between the two
    environments are that development has Windows 2000 SP4 with most of
    the security patches. It use to work but I believe after my network
    admin added SP4 and the patches, I started receiving these errors. Is
    there a workaround? Or another patch to run?

    I read many post on how I would need to give read rights to
    ISUR_SERVERNAME and IWAM_SERVERNAME on the dll and perhaps even the
    folder that it sits in.
    On my production server there are no rights for these users. So, I
    don't think that's it. I tried giving my dll those rights, but I still
    get the error message. Basically, the two environments are the same
    (including rights) except for the fact that my development machine is
    more patched.

    One more thing, my dll is a proxy dll (com+), so in component services
    it refers to a database server that also has this dll. I compared the
    permissions in my development and production and they are the same.

    Like I said, it use to work but believe this came about after our
    network admin added SP4 and the patches.

    Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Phin
    mrwoopey Guest

  2. #2

    Is the object registered on the server?
    Is it set up properly in the DCOM Configuration?
    Can you instantiate it through OLE Viewer?
    Need more Info.

    Bob Calvanese
    "mrwoopey" <mrwoopey> wrote in message
    news:e48ab325.0402031354.476daa88posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I try to do Server.CreateObject on an activeX DLL, I receive the
    > following message:
    >
    > '''''''''''''''''''''''
    > Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'
    >
    > Server.CreateObject Access Error
    >
    > /MyDirectory/MyPage.asp, line 118
    >
    > The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions.
    > Access is denied to this object.
    > '''''''''''''''''''''''
    >
    > It works on my production server and this is happening on my
    > development server. The only real difference between the two
    > environments are that development has Windows 2000 SP4 with most of
    > the security patches. It use to work but I believe after my network
    > admin added SP4 and the patches, I started receiving these errors. Is
    > there a workaround? Or another patch to run?
    >
    > I read many post on how I would need to give read rights to
    > ISUR_SERVERNAME and IWAM_SERVERNAME on the dll and perhaps even the
    > folder that it sits in.
    > On my production server there are no rights for these users. So, I
    > don't think that's it. I tried giving my dll those rights, but I still
    > get the error message. Basically, the two environments are the same
    > (including rights) except for the fact that my development machine is
    > more patched.
    >
    > One more thing, my dll is a proxy dll (com+), so in component services
    > it refers to a database server that also has this dll. I compared the
    > permissions in my development and production and they are the same.
    >
    > Like I said, it use to work but believe this came about after our
    > network admin added SP4 and the patches.
    >
    > Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Phin

    Bob Calvanese Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your advice. My hard drive ended up crashing and I
    reinstalled my environment and I can now use the dll!

    Phin

    "Bob Calvanese" <bcalvaneseverizon.net> wrote in message news:<%yzWb.13653$M8.8986nwrdny02.gnilink.net>...
    > Is the object registered on the server?
    > Is it set up properly in the DCOM Configuration?
    > Can you instantiate it through OLE Viewer?
    > Need more Info.
    >
    > Bob Calvanese
    > "mrwoopey" <mrwoopey> wrote in message
    > news:e48ab325.0402031354.476daa88posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > When I try to do Server.CreateObject on an activeX DLL, I receive the
    > > following message:
    > >
    > > '''''''''''''''''''''''
    > > Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'
    > >
    > > Server.CreateObject Access Error
    > >
    > > /MyDirectory/MyPage.asp, line 118
    > >
    > > The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions.
    > > Access is denied to this object.
    > > '''''''''''''''''''''''
    > >
    > > It works on my production server and this is happening on my
    > > development server. The only real difference between the two
    > > environments are that development has Windows 2000 SP4 with most of
    > > the security patches. It use to work but I believe after my network
    > > admin added SP4 and the patches, I started receiving these errors. Is
    > > there a workaround? Or another patch to run?
    > >
    > > I read many post on how I would need to give read rights to
    > > ISUR_SERVERNAME and IWAM_SERVERNAME on the dll and perhaps even the
    > > folder that it sits in.
    > > On my production server there are no rights for these users. So, I
    > > don't think that's it. I tried giving my dll those rights, but I still
    > > get the error message. Basically, the two environments are the same
    > > (including rights) except for the fact that my development machine is
    > > more patched.
    > >
    > > One more thing, my dll is a proxy dll (com+), so in component services
    > > it refers to a database server that also has this dll. I compared the
    > > permissions in my development and production and they are the same.
    > >
    > > Like I said, it use to work but believe this came about after our
    > > network admin added SP4 and the patches.
    > >
    > > Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Phin
    mrwoopey Guest