Professional Web Applications Themes

help again plz - SCO

Hello, how can I detect the process that is initiating an 'init 0' or letting system go to runlevel 0 ? I checked the rc0.d/messages and rc2.d/messages and all log files are zero sized! Isn't there any method to know what buggy script is causing that system shutdown just after the execution of the last script in rc2.d ? I appreciate your help. Regards, Elias...

  1. #1

    Default help again plz

    Hello,

    how can I detect the process that is initiating an 'init 0' or letting
    system go to runlevel 0 ?

    I checked the rc0.d/messages and rc2.d/messages and all log files are zero
    sized!

    Isn't there any method to know what buggy script is causing that system
    shutdown just after the execution of the last script in rc2.d ?

    I appreciate your help.

    Regards,
    Elias

    lallous Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: help again plz

    lallous typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:33:33AM +0300):
    | Hello,
    |
    | how can I detect the process that is initiating an 'init 0' or letting
    | system go to runlevel 0 ?
    |
    | I checked the rc0.d/messages and rc2.d/messages and all log files are zero
    | sized!
    |
    | Isn't there any method to know what buggy script is causing that system
    | shutdown just after the execution of the last script in rc2.d ?

    Have you changed ANY of the scripts yourself, or renamed them?

    How do you know the shutdown occurs after the last script in /etc/rc2.d,
    and not at some other time?

    How are you reading /etc/rc*/messages if going into multi-user mode ends
    up by doing a reboot?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,
    > Have you changed ANY of the scripts yourself, or renamed them?
    No I changed nothing; I am trying to fix a system that got this problem.
    > How do you know the shutdown occurs after the last script in /etc/rc2.d,
    > and not at some other time?
    Maybe you're right, however I am sure it is happening at least after the
    last rc2.d script but not before.
    why? because the last message I see on screen is the message that is
    generated by the last rc2.d script named as: S99xyz...
    > How are you reading /etc/rc*/messages if going into multi-user mode ends
    > up by doing a reboot?
    I login single mode and check the logs.

    Thanks again,
    Elias

    lallous Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bgnh2e$pdt7i$1ID-161723.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >> Have you changed ANY of the scripts yourself, or renamed them?
    >No I changed nothing; I am trying to fix a system that got this problem.
    >
    >> How do you know the shutdown occurs after the last script in /etc/rc2.d,
    >> and not at some other time?
    >Maybe you're right, however I am sure it is happening at least after the
    >last rc2.d script but not before.
    >why? because the last message I see on screen is the message that is
    >generated by the last rc2.d script named as: S99xyz...
    Is it literaly S99xyz ??

    If so rename it so the first letter is lowercase.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion Guest

  5. #5

    "Bill Vermillion" <bvwjv.comREMOVE> wrote in message
    > In article <bgnh2e$pdt7i$1ID-161723.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    > lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >> Have you changed ANY of the scripts yourself, or renamed them?
    > >No I changed nothing; I am trying to fix a system that got this problem.
    > >
    > >> How do you know the shutdown occurs after the last script in
    /etc/rc2.d,
    > >> and not at some other time?
    > >Maybe you're right, however I am sure it is happening at least after the
    > >last rc2.d script but not before.
    > >why? because the last message I see on screen is the message that is
    > >generated by the last rc2.d script named as: S99xyz...
    >
    > Is it literaly S99xyz ??
    No, but the S99 part is true.

    Referring to:
    [url]http://osr5doc.ca.caldera.com:457/OSAdminG/sstT.etcrc.html[/url]
    > If so rename it so the first letter is lowercase.
    Why should I renamed the 'S' to 's' ?

    Regards,
    Elias

    lallous Guest

  6. #6

    "Bela Lubkin" <belalsco.com> wrote in message
    > lallous wrote:
    >
    > > > Have you changed ANY of the scripts yourself, or renamed them?
    > > No I changed nothing; I am trying to fix a system that got this problem.
    > >
    > > > How do you know the shutdown occurs after the last script in
    /etc/rc2.d,
    > > > and not at some other time?
    > > Maybe you're right, however I am sure it is happening at least after the
    > > last rc2.d script but not before.
    > > why? because the last message I see on screen is the message that is
    > > generated by the last rc2.d script named as: S99xyz...
    >
    > You must mean that's the last message you see before the shutdown
    > messages. Now, please post, as literally as possible, what the screen
    > looks like after one of these shutdowns. Include the last few rc script
    > startup messages, followed by the messages generated by the process of
    > shutting down. There will be clues there that you can't read, but we
    > can.
    Hi,

    The messages are scrolling so fast just before the system is rebooting...
    The 'PAUSE' key does not pause the messages while scrolling, any suggestion
    ?

    Regards,
    Elias

    lallous Guest

  7. #7

    lallous made comment on Wed Aug 6 10:11:46 2003 :
    > "Bill Vermillion" <bvwjv.comREMOVE> wrote in message
    > > In article <bgnh2e$pdt7i$1ID-161723.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    > > lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    > > >Hi,

    > > >No I changed nothing; I am trying to fix a system that got this problem.

    > /etc/rc2.d,
    > > >Maybe you're right, however I am sure it is happening at least after the
    > > >last rc2.d script but not before.
    > > >why? because the last message I see on screen is the message that is
    > > >generated by the last rc2.d script named as: S99xyz...
    > >
    > > Is it literaly S99xyz ??
    > No, but the S99 part is true.
    >
    > Referring to:
    > [url]http://osr5doc.ca.caldera.com:457/OSAdminG/sstT.etcrc.html[/url]
    > > If so rename it so the first letter is lowercase.
    > Why should I renamed the 'S' to 's' ?
    Changing it from S99xyz to s99xyz will stop that script from running.
    If the problem goes away you know it is something in that script - it
    would also help if you mentioned 'literaly' what the xyz... is.

    Tom

    Tom Melvin [email]tomtkrh.demon.co.uk[/email] [url]http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk[/url]
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd Sysop Compuserve Unixforum
    Tom Melvin Guest