Professional Web Applications Themes

Help - AppleTalk PAP Server under MacOS X - Mac Programming

I am currently porting an application to MacOS X which needs to function as an AppleTalk Printer Access Protocol server. Basically, it needs to be able to register itself on the AppleTalk network so that MacOS 9 users can print to it as a PostScript printer using the Chooser and the LaserWriter driver. The MacOS X AppleTalk framework supports the PAP workstation protocol using the routines pap_open, pap_write, pap_read, etc. This is the protocol which would allow you to print to an AppleTalk printer from your OS X Macintosh, and I have managed to successfully use this protocol in my ...

  1. #1

    Default Help - AppleTalk PAP Server under MacOS X

    I am currently porting an application to MacOS X which needs to
    function as an AppleTalk Printer Access Protocol server. Basically,
    it needs to be able to register itself on the AppleTalk network so
    that MacOS 9 users can print to it as a PostScript printer using the
    Chooser and the LaserWriter driver.

    The MacOS X AppleTalk framework supports the PAP workstation protocol
    using the routines pap_open, pap_write, pap_read, etc. This is the
    protocol which would allow you to print to an AppleTalk printer from
    your OS X Macintosh, and I have managed to successfully use this
    protocol in my application. However, this framework does not appear
    to provide any support for the PAP server interface which would let
    you handle the other side of the connection.

    I believe that it will be possible to implement the PAP server code
    using the underlying NBP and ATP interfaces which are supported by the
    AppleTalk framework. Before I tackle this myself, I am wondering
    whether anyone could point me towards any source code examples which
    might help me to implement this interface, or provide any other
    information about how to support the PAP server protocol under MacOS
    X.

    Thanks for any help you can provide to me...

    JJ
    Jack Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help - AppleTalk PAP Server under MacOS X

    Jack hoff wrote:

    Perhaps the papd (PAP demon) provided by the netatalk suite might help
    you. Netatalk
    is an implementation of the (nearly) complete apple protocol stack (the
    only system
    requirement is DDP being handled by the kernel). Though I don't know how
    the licensing
    with netatalk is handled, I think it is worth while to habe a look at it
    in any case.

    Helge

    --
    de
    com

  3. #3

    Jack hoff wrote in news:google.com

    Apple limits this ability to its own MacOS X Server product. If you use
    this, you'll be provided with a pap server daemon.

    Of course. Some 3rd party vendors like eg. Helios already done that. Their
    server products run on top of MacOS X and provide you with PAP spooling
    capabilities:

    <http://www.helios.de/support/testdrive.html>

    At this point I want to second Helge. Netatalk's afp-3x-dev branch will
    compile happily on MacOS X 10.2/10.3 ... but only with DDP disabled caused
    by some conflicts in the netatalk code base and the Apple frameworks.

    So maybe it might be a good idea for you to join the development efforts?

    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/>

    In case, you already know netatalk from the past: The project moved on from
    a BSD-style license to GPL a year and a few months ago...

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Thomas Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for your help, guys. I had a very hard time finding any useful
    doentation from Apple. They don't seem to have made any attempt to
    separate their MacOS X doentation from all of their previous
    products, so any search on the ADC web site will turn up a million
    examples from the 1980s but nothing about MacOS X. I love the OS, but
    Apple has got to start doing a better job of explaining how this stuff
    actually works!

    I found a site called www.osxfaq.com which had some basic information
    about the AppleTalk ATP access routines under MacOS X, which was
    enough to get me started. Many searches later, I finally found the
    Darwin source repository at
    www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/project/darwin/src/modules/AppleTalk/, and I was
    pleasantly surprised to see that the client-side PAP routines are part
    of the Darwin open source. I was missing one critical clue, the
    interpretation of the return value from at_look(), which is key for
    being able to support simultaneous reads and writes, but I was able to
    decipher how this works from the Darwin source code.

    It's been a long day, but I think I've finally reached the point where
    I know I can make this work. My test application is now happily
    opening connections and reading in data from the client side, so I'm
    almost there!

    Thanks for your advice,

    JJ
    Jack Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:44:15 +0100,
    Thomas Kaiser (de) wrote:

    Dear Thomas,

    How does one download the afp-3x-dev branch of netatalk? It wasn't on
    the sourceforge download site, and I would like to give it a shot.

    I guess it must be on some CVS server somewhere -- the question is where,
    and is it publically accessible?

    Thank you,
    Beverly
    --