Professional Web Applications Themes

help auto_home nis+ syntax - Sun Solaris

george wrote:   Only if you mount read-only: george -ro server1:/export/home/george server2:/export/home/george2 Somehow, I don't think you want home directories mounted read-only... - Logan...

  1. #1

    Default Re: help auto_home nis+ syntax

    george wrote:

    Only if you mount read-only:

    george -ro server1:/export/home/george server2:/export/home/george2

    Somehow, I don't think you want home directories mounted read-only...

    - Logan

    Logan Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Darren Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Darren Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. Moderated Post

    Default help auto_home nis+ syntax

    Removed by Administrator
    george Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    george Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    george wrote:

    I don't think you should have the '-o' there.

    Manpage automount(1M) specifies the map format:

    USAGE
    Map Entry Format
    A simple map entry (mapping) takes the form:

    key [ -mount-options ] location ...

    where key is the full pathname of the directory to mount
    when used in a direct map, or the simple name of a subdirec-
    tory in an indirect map. mount-options is a comma-separated
    list of mount options, and location specifies a file system
    from which the directory may be mounted. In the case of a
    simple NFS mount, the options that can be used are as speci-
    fied in mount_nfs(1M), and location takes the form:

    host:pathname

    host is the name of the host from which to mount the file
    system, and pathname is the absolute pathname of the direc-
    tory to mount.

    Options to other file systems are doented on the other
    mount_* reference manual pages, for example,
    mount_cachefs(1M).

    ted File Systems
    Multiple location fields can be specified for ted NFS
    file systems, in which case automount and the kernel will
    each try to use that information to increase availability.
    If the read-only flag is set in the map entry, automount
    mounts a list of locations that the kernel may use, sorted
    by several criteria. When a server does not respond, the
    kernel will switch to an alternate server. The sort ordering
    of automount is used to determine how the next server is
    chosen. If the read-only flag is not set, automount will
    mount the best single location, chosen by the same sort ord-
    ering, and new servers will only be chosen when an unmount
    has been possible, and a remount is done. Servers on the
    same local subnet are given the strongest preference, and
    servers on the local net are given the second strongest
    preference. Among servers equally far away, response times
    will determine the order if no weighting factors (see below)

    Gavin

    Gavin Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    george Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    I've used the following syntax an auto_home as a test
    george2 -o ro nis1,nis2:/export/home/george2
    Again only the nfs share on nis2 mounts. Dropping the nfs server on nis1
    doesnt cause failover even when freshly logging in . Also the home directory
    was not mounted read only ! I could write to it.
    I have come to a conclusion that although the auto_home syntax looks
    identical to nfs syntax, it must not be. I have searched the internet for an
    example of auto_home which uses failover or dual nfs servers and have not
    found one. I have found examples of this for direct maps but not for
    auto_home maps.

    GEorge

    george Guest

  9. #9

    The fog is beginning to clear slowly.
    The entry in auto_home is as follows :-
    george2 nis1(1):/export/home/george2 nis2:/export/home/george2
    I've put the number 1 in brackets to drop the priority to make it select
    nis2 as this is the server I can play with by switching the nfs daemons off
    by running nfs.server stop ( in /etc/init.d ) .
    If I log into a nis+ client server as george2 the home directory on nis2 is
    mounted correctly.
    If I log out , switch off the nfs server running on nis2 and now try to
    log into the same server again I get the error " nfs server not
    responding".
    If, on the other hand I try to log into a server which I havent logged into
    before ( we have a lot of servers) it mounts the nfs share on nis1
    correctly. If I now log out of this particular server , restart the nfs
    daemons on nis2, aand log back in again it mounts the nfs share on nis1
    again.
    My connclusion is that somewhere on the servers is a sort of cache which is
    remembering which nfs server was used and not letting the system change .
    Presumable its an automount cache. and not a nis+ cache as doing niscat
    auto_home.org_dir always displays the current auto_home map correctly.
    George2

    george Guest

  10. #10

    Default I think I've sussed it

    I thisn the problem is the automounter keeping a mount alive for 10 mins,
    even when the nfs server fails
    George
    Thanks for everyones help

    george Guest

  11. #11

    george wrote:

    ted NIS+ entries have to be readonly (-ro) because they must be
    identical
    so clearly you can't write to them. So they're a daft idea for a home
    directory.

    Pete.

    Peter Guest

  12. Moderated Post