Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP! Can't access the internet - Windows Vista

Hey guys, I just installed Vista build 5308 and it's working great so far except for one thing. I can see the network and other computers but I cant get on the web. I checked the IP's and everything looks good, I can even ping the router. Other PC's connect fine. DNS works fine as i can ping an outside address (msn.com) and it resolves. I tried disabling the firewall, and defender, and also disabled IP6 in the adapter's setting. I've tried a 3com NIC and an Intel NIC, with the same results (no problem access local resources but can't ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP! Can't access the internet

    Hey guys, I just installed Vista build 5308 and it's working great so far
    except for one thing. I can see the network and other computers but I cant
    get on the web.

    I checked the IP's and everything looks good, I can even ping the router.
    Other PC's connect fine.

    DNS works fine as i can ping an outside address (msn.com) and it resolves.

    I tried disabling the firewall, and defender, and also disabled IP6 in the
    adapter's setting.

    I've tried a 3com NIC and an Intel NIC, with the same results (no problem
    access local resources but can't get to the outside)

    I've tried static and DHCP'ed addresses with no avail.

    Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas for me please?

    Murph Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HELP! Can't access the internet

    Are you using avast AV? If so, try disabling the web shield.

    Sc°tt
    Live Messenger FAQs - [url]http://wlm.scottisafool.co.uk/[/url]

    Murph wrote:
    > Hey guys, I just installed Vista build 5308 and it's working great so far
    > except for one thing. I can see the network and other computers but I cant
    > get on the web.
    >
    > I checked the IP's and everything looks good, I can even ping the router.
    > Other PC's connect fine.
    >
    > DNS works fine as i can ping an outside address (msn.com) and it resolves.
    >
    > I tried disabling the firewall, and defender, and also disabled IP6 in the
    > adapter's setting.
    >
    > I've tried a 3com NIC and an Intel NIC, with the same results (no problem
    > access local resources but can't get to the outside)
    >
    > I've tried static and DHCP'ed addresses with no avail.
    >
    > Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas for me please?

    Sc°tt Lovegrove [ScottIsAFool] Guest

  3. #3

    nope, not using anything like that. it's a fresh build nothing else.

  4. #4

    I replied in the other NG, but see if you can switch between using IPv4 and
    IPv6 - don't disable both or either, just try switching settings...

    --
    Zack Whittaker
    Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)

    --- Original message follows ---
    "Murph" <dailyjibjab> wrote in message
    > nope, not using anything like that. it's a fresh build nothing else.
    >

    > ""Sc°tt Lovegrove [ScottIsAFool]""
    > <iwantalivemessengerinvitegooglemail.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you using avast AV? If so, try disabling the web shield.
    >>
    >> Sc°tt
    >> Live Messenger FAQs - [url]http://wlm.scottisafool.co.uk/[/url]
    >>
    >> Murph wrote:
    >>> Hey guys, I just installed Vista build 5308 and it's working great so
    >>> far
    >>> except for one thing. I can see the network and other computers but I
    >>> cant
    >>> get on the web.
    >>>
    >>> I checked the IP's and everything looks good, I can even ping the
    >>> router.
    >>> Other PC's connect fine.
    >>>
    >>> DNS works fine as i can ping an outside address (msn.com) and it
    >>> resolves.
    >>>
    >>> I tried disabling the firewall, and defender, and also disabled IP6 in
    >>> the
    >>> adapter's setting.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried a 3com NIC and an Intel NIC, with the same results (no
    >>> problem
    >>> access local resources but can't get to the outside)
    >>>
    >>> I've tried static and DHCP'ed addresses with no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas for me please?

    Zack Whittaker \(R2 Mentor\) Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for replying Zack, however IPv6 didn't do it for me either.
    i think this has something to do with my ISP. I'm able to tracert any
    domain or IP with no problem. i see all the router hops between me and the
    final site, however it takes a long time. for example tracert microsoft.com
    took just under 2 minutes.
    I'm using Verizon DSL and it's working great from the 5 other machines on my
    network.
    Anyone else using Verizon and having a similar problem?

  6. #6

    I had a similiar problem with build 5270. Althou I have cable. Everything
    looked good to go, but I could not access the internet. I tried everything
    to resolve the problem. My fix was to disconnect my router ......power it
    down.... for 5 minutes....reconnect and my internet was good to go. I am now
    using build 5308 and have had nearly zero problems.
    I said nearly zero problems......the only one so far is the sound stack
    problem that a lot of people are having.
    Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

    P. S. Sorry Murph, didn't mean to send to your email. I hit reply insteat of
    reply to group.
    sandsman50

    > Thanks for replying Zack, however IPv6 didn't do it for me either.
    > i think this has something to do with my ISP. I'm able to tracert any
    > domain or IP with no problem. i see all the router hops between me and
    > the final site, however it takes a long time. for example tracert
    > microsoft.com took just under 2 minutes.
    > I'm using Verizon DSL and it's working great from the 5 other machines on
    > my network.
    > Anyone else using Verizon and having a similar problem?
    >

    > "Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor)" <adminzacknet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I replied in the other NG, but see if you can switch between using IPv4
    >>and IPv6 - don't disable both or either, just try switching settings...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Zack Whittaker
    >> Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)
    >> ╗ ZackNET Enterprises: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk[/url]
    >> ╗ MSBlog on ResDev: [url]http://msblog.resdev.net[/url]
    >> ╗ ZackNET Forum: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk/forum[/url]
    >> ╗ VistaBase: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk/vistabase[/url]
    >> ╗ This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    >> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
    >> not
    >> of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that one!
    >>

    >> --- Original message follows ---
    >> "Murph" <dailyjibjab> wrote in message
    >>> nope, not using anything like that. it's a fresh build nothing else.
    >>>

    >>> ""Sc°tt Lovegrove [ScottIsAFool]""

    Timur Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Sandman! I will try this tonight and report back to everyone.

  8. #8

    Ditto here. Comcast (cable) is my vendor. I've tried installing on five
    different machines - both 32bit and 64bit, eight different NICs, upgrade and
    clean install, etc.
    I can see the network and the network can see shared files on the Vista
    machines. When I try to access any websites on the net, I get the message
    "Internet Explorer is unable to display the webpage"

    I'm also unable to activate the product :(

    Note: DNS does convert the URL to an IP and I am able to ping external sites.

    Has anybody figured this out?

    "Murph" wrote:
    > Hey guys, I just installed Vista build 5308 and it's working great so far
    > except for one thing. I can see the network and other computers but I cant
    > get on the web.
    >
    > I checked the IP's and everything looks good, I can even ping the router.
    > Other PC's connect fine.
    >
    > DNS works fine as i can ping an outside address (msn.com) and it resolves.
    >
    > I tried disabling the firewall, and defender, and also disabled IP6 in the
    > adapter's setting.
    >
    > I've tried a 3com NIC and an Intel NIC, with the same results (no problem
    > access local resources but can't get to the outside)
    >
    > I've tried static and DHCP'ed addresses with no avail.
    >
    > Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas for me please?

    Vista 5308 Tester Guest

  9. #9

    Woohoo! I got it to work. I just upgraded the firmware on my router and I
    can now access the web.

  10. #10

    good for you! you fixed this issue before i was able to get to you.
    These internet access issues seem to be router related (and rebooting it
    doesn't do the trick).

    i've posted on this board and the .vista.networking board about this very
    same issue and found that it's the router. luckly for you an upgrade fixed
    your issue, whereas i had to just buy a new router.

    no harm done as my wireless needed an upgrade from b to g anyway.

    I can see alot of people having this problem moving forward.

    "Vista 5308 Tester" <Vista5308Testerdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:C583B91F-41FF-4B66-A67A-ED96B9401F32microsoft.com...

  11. #11

    Hey Murph, Just out of interest, what router did you have (brand) that
    didn't work, and what router did you get, that did work?
    Timur.

  12. #12

    D-Link Mismo was the old, Linksys is the new.

  13. #13

    Thankyou, thankyou very much.

    > D-Link Mismo was the old, Linksys is the new.
    >

    > "Timur" <sandsmanwideopenwest.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey Murph, Just out of interest, what router did you have (brand) that
    >> didn't work, and what router did you get, that did work?
    >> Timur.
    >>
    >> "Murph" <dailyjibjab> wrote in message
    >>> good for you! you fixed this issue before i was able to get to you.
    >>> These internet access issues seem to be router related (and rebooting it
    >>> doesn't do the trick).
    >>>
    >>> i've posted on this board and the .vista.networking board about this
    >>> very same issue and found that it's the router. luckly for you an
    >>> upgrade fixed your issue, whereas i had to just buy a new router.
    >>>
    >>> no harm done as my wireless needed an upgrade from b to g anyway.
    >>>
    >>> I can see alot of people having this problem moving forward.
    >>>

    >>> "Vista 5308 Tester" <Vista5308Testerdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:C583B91F-41FF-4B66-A67A-ED96B9401F32microsoft.com...

    Tim Guest