Professional Web Applications Themes

Help! Can't edit pages - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hi all, please help a newbie!! I have recently started working for a charity which had a Dreamweaver website. I have Contribute 3 for editing purposes, but I can't change a lot of things and it doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately the company that produced the website for us in the first plave has gone bust, so I have no access to any help from them. I have checked that I have full administration rights. The main problems are:- 1. The pages are set in 2 column format, which I don't want, but I am unable to change this 2. ...

  1. #1

    Default Help! Can't edit pages

    Hi all, please help a newbie!!

    I have recently started working for a charity which had a Dreamweaver website.
    I have Contribute 3 for editing purposes, but I can't change a lot of things
    and it doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately the company that produced the
    website for us in the first plave has gone bust, so I have no access to any
    help from them. I have checked that I have full administration rights.

    The main problems are:-

    1. The pages are set in 2 column format, which I don't want, but I am unable
    to change this

    2. I can change font style/colour/alignment etc etc on the home page of the
    site, but on all the others this is not possible and I am only offered a choice
    of 6 pre-set styles which are awful

    3. When I edit a page in Contribute it appears correctly, but when I upload
    it to the site the text and images are misaligned (I am making sure that I am
    using the correct file types for images). I therefore have to keep editing the
    page and shifting things about and then publishing it until I get everything to
    line up correctly on the site.

    4. One of the pages says that I am unable to edit because another user is
    already editing. This user is a member of staff that left over 2 years ago.

    Sorry if some of this may seem basic, but I have done tutorials and read
    books, and I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to do all the above
    with full administration rights. I've been thrown in at the deep end here!

    Here's the website, in case that helps www.findavoice.org.uk

    Thanks in advance

    Liz :o)

    LizzyCol Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help! Can't edit pages

    Item 1: I don't understand why you are trying to change underlying formatting
    using Contribute. Contribute is a content editor. To change the underlying
    layout of the page, use Dreamweaver, or some other html editing environment.

    Item 2: Probably coming from the CSS file. Same answer as #1.

    Item 3: I think I'd need to see an example before I quite grasped the problem.

    Item 4: This is probably a LCK file issue. Use a standard FTP program to log
    into their server account and delete all the LCK files. Contribute makes these
    whenever it gets confused (and it gets confused frequently).

    Hope this helps.

    scr Guest

  3. #3

    Adobe Contribute is not an html editor even though it is advertised that you
    can edit your web page using Contribute. Contribute is nothing more than a
    layout tool, limited to making tables, anchor links and dropping a few images
    in now and then. Any real web development or design and you need a true blue
    html editor like Dreamweaver, Visual Studio and so on.

    Some of my clients have bought this product believing they will be able to
    edit their web page only to find out that much of the web page they want to
    edit is not accessible to them, then they want to know why, or why I didn't
    build the page so that it could be edited by Contribute. A frack'n nightmare if
    ever there was one.

    Don9of11 Guest