Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP (cannot open root device) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Excuse the cross post but I'm not sure whether to post this to setup or redhat. My system is RH9 on a Dell Precision with a 500Mhz PIII and scsi drives and everything is fine using the stock kernel. My problem is that I have recomcpiled the kernel but it will not mount. When the system boots I get the following error messages Cannot open root device (hd1 or 00:00 Please append a correct "root=" boot option Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 00:00 I have traced this message down to the namespace.c source file in the ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP (cannot open root device)

    Excuse the cross post but I'm not sure whether to post this to setup or
    redhat.

    My system is RH9 on a Dell Precision with a 500Mhz PIII and scsi drives and
    everything is fine using the stock kernel.

    My problem is that I have recomcpiled the kernel but it will not mount.

    When the system boots I get the following error messages

    Cannot open root device (hd1 or 00:00
    Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 00:00

    I have traced this message down to the namespace.c source file in the kernel
    but it does not help me to solve the problem and although there is a
    multitude of posts on the newsgroups with about this problem none of them
    seem to be exactly what I am experiencing.

    My grub installation is this

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd1,1)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb2
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    password --md5 $1$AIeA0SWb$lvcrvubSt.tnZoSezQJ560
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    title Linux (RedHat 2.4.20-8Pep)
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=811=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8mine.img

    I think the warning about the /boot partition has everything to do with
    this?

    My disk configuration is this

    /dev/sdb2 on / type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    /dev/sda1 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    /dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)

    I have installed my own kernel countless times but I have never configured
    my disks like this before and am now starting to regret this.

    The thing that is bothering me is that the redhat kernel boots with no
    problems yet mine does not even though I have a identical grub setting for
    it!

    I have tried my kernel with scsi as a module and monolithic but to no avail.

    I have the devfs compiled in along with the ext3 fs.

    Any ideas?

    TIA.

    Nobody Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HELP (cannot open root device)

    In comp.os.linux.setup Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    > My problem is that I have recomcpiled the kernel but it will not mount.
    Mount?
    > When the system boots I get the following error messages
    > Cannot open root device (hd1 or 00:00
    Compile in support for your boot medium and fs. And don't use labels in
    your boot loader.
    > Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 00:00
    > I have traced this message down to the namespace.c source file in the kernel
    > but it does not help me to solve the problem and although there is a
    Sure it does. As if you needed to read anything to understand that if
    the kernel can't find your root fs then as far as it is concerned the
    root fs isn't there, which can only happen if it can't understand where
    it is (labels), can't read what it's on (media), or can't read it
    itself (fs).
    > multitude of posts on the newsgroups with about this problem none of them
    > seem to be exactly what I am experiencing.
    All of them sound like it to me!

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    begin On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:03:00 +0100, Nobody wrote:
    > Excuse the cross post but I'm not sure whether to post this to setup or
    > redhat.
    >
    > My system is RH9 on a Dell Precision with a 500Mhz PIII and scsi drives
    > and everything is fine using the stock kernel.
    >
    > My problem is that I have recomcpiled the kernel but it will not mount.
    <snip>
    > Any ideas?
    Change; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=811=/ hdb=ide-scsi

    To; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi

    --
    end
    There's no attachment here, your reader is broken by Microsoft's choice!!

    Lenard Guest

  4. #4

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    >> My problem is that I have recomcpiled the kernel but it will not mount.
    >
    > Mount?

    Might have known you'd reply.

    "Mount?" But you know what I meant.
    >> When the system boots I get the following error messages
    >
    >> Cannot open root device (hd1 or 00:00
    >
    > Compile in support for your boot medium and fs. And don't use labels in
    > your boot loader.

    I have compiled in supprt for scsi and for the ext3.
    >> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    >> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 00:00
    >
    >> I have traced this message down to the namespace.c source file in the
    >> kernel but it does not help me to solve the problem and although there is
    >
    > Sure it does. As if you needed to read anything to understand that if
    > the kernel can't find your root fs then as far as it is concerned the
    > root fs isn't there, which can only happen if it can't understand where
    > it is (labels), can't read what it's on (media), or can't read it
    > itself (fs).

    No it does not.

    It does not help me to understand why it cannot mount the root fs. I cannot
    work out if it is the drive or the fs or the root specification that the
    kernel is complaining about.

    Then again it could be something further in the kernel configuration that I
    have messed up...
    >> multitude of posts on the newsgroups with about this problem none of them
    >> seem to be exactly what I am experiencing.
    >
    > All of them sound like it to me!

    Given that the posts I have read from google describe problems that are
    related but different in their specific nature and solution you are wrong
    as usual, aside from the fact that you do not know which ones I have read.
    > Peter
    As usual it has not been nice hearing from you.

    If anyone else has any constructive help, please post it, thanks.

    As for people that write to sound their own trumpets and are pedantic in
    nature don't bother, I can't be d with it.

    TIA.

    Nobody Guest

  5. #5

    In comp.os.linux.setup Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    >>> My problem is that I have recomcpiled the kernel but it will not mount.
    >>
    >> Mount?
    > Might have known you'd reply.

    I might have known you'd ask. And I might have known that you might have
    known I'd reply. But then why did you ask? Might you secretly be
    harbouring a desire to tempt fate?
    > "Mount?" But you know what I meant.
    I only know what you say. What you mean, if it is not what you say,
    is a mystery known only unto yourself.
    >>> When the system boots I get the following error messages
    >>
    >>> Cannot open root device (hd1 or 00:00
    >>
    >> Compile in support for your boot medium and fs. And don't use labels in
    >> your boot loader.
    > I have compiled in supprt for scsi and for the ext3.
    That's not enough. You also need support for your scsi controller, scsi
    disks in general, aa well as for the ext3 and scsi mod stuff that you
    mentioned, and probably for boot partition labels too.

    Or did you mean to say something else?
    >>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    >>> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 00:00
    >>
    >>> I have traced this message down to the namespace.c source file in the
    >>> kernel but it does not help me to solve the problem and although there is
    >>
    >> Sure it does. As if you needed to read anything to understand that if
    >> the kernel can't find your root fs then as far as it is concerned the
    >> root fs isn't there, which can only happen if it can't understand where
    >> it is (labels), can't read what it's on (media), or can't read it
    >> itself (fs).
    > No it does not.
    What does not what?
    > It does not help me to understand why it cannot mount the root fs. I cannot
    Oh, SOLVE the problem. Sure it helps you. It states the symptom. Now
    it's up to you. You haven't ruled out the three things I mentioned, but
    it's up to you to do so, and the help consists of drawing your attention
    to that diagnosis.

    > work out if it is the drive or the fs or the root specification that the
    > kernel is complaining about.
    Working that out is precisely up to you. The machine can't know if
    there's a faulty drive with a perfect FS on it, or a perfect drive with
    a faulty FS on top.

    My money would be on disk labels, myself.
    > Then again it could be something further in the kernel configuration that I
    > have messed up...
    No, it must be exactly the three things I mentioned.
    >>> multitude of posts on the newsgroups with about this problem none of them
    >>> seem to be exactly what I am experiencing.
    >>
    >> All of them sound like it to me!
    > Given that the posts I have read from google describe problems that are
    > related but different in their specific nature and solution you are wrong
    > as usual, aside from the fact that you do not know which ones I have read.
    All of the posts say "Please append a correct "orr=" boot option", and
    all of them are solved by compiling support for the boot medium, boot
    FS, or boot label. Have you read anything else? I would lurrrrv to
    know!

    My money would be on disk labels, myself.

    Did I say that?

    > As usual it has not been nice hearing from you.
    May I say the same for you. It's really usual in your case.
    > If anyone else has any constructive help, please post it, thanks.
    > As for people that write to sound their own trumpets and are pedantic in
    > nature don't bother, I can't be d with it.
    Then rot in your own unpedantic hell. Be exact or fail. The computer's
    not going to take pity on you and do your work for you.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.os.linux.setup Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >> begin On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:03:00 +0100, Nobody wrote:
    >> Change; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=811=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    >>
    >> To; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    >>

    > That's how I started out.
    Why not do as suggested! I've said it 4 times now:

    compile in support for boot labels!

    either that or don't use them! What's your aversion to using a normal
    root=device parameter? Do you really wish to make noise on usenet?

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  7. #7

    [url]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html[/url]

    > Here's a snippet from the link above;
    >
    > Use make install to copy the new kernel and its associated files to the
    > proper directories.
    >
    > In addition to installing the kernel files in the /boot directory, this
    > command also executes the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg script that builds a new
    > initrd image and adds new entries to the boot loader configuration file.
    >
    > If the system has a SCSI adapter and the SCSI driver was compiled as a
    > module or if the kernel was built with ext3 support as a module (the
    > default in Red Hat Linux), the initrd image is required.

    When I originally started with Linux years ago using slackware I tried the
    install option but it never worked so I've never tried it since. Instead
    I've always installed the kernel by hand using lilo.

    As you think it works under RH I'll give it a try. It certainly can't do
    any worse than what's currently happening (lol).

    Thanks for the info.

    Nobody Guest

  8. #8

    David wrote:
    > Nobody wrote:
    >> Lenard wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Change; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=811=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    >>>
    >>>To; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    >>
    >> That's how I started out.
    >>
    >> I cut&pst'd the original RH menu option but the complaints started from
    >> there, so I played a little and took the suggestion for using the 811
    >> from a ng posting but it does not work for me.
    >
    > I always have to laugh when I see redhat's LABEL=/ in /etc/fstab
    > and back when I used redhat and they first started using LABEL= I
    > always had to go in and fix it back to use the correct device
    > after rebooting into the new install. That eliminated problems
    > for me.

    I don't usually use RH or grub so I've not had to mess about with them
    before. Now we are using it at work I have to try.

    I usually use Mandrake and another server I compiled from source which I
    didn't get any problems from.

    Guess I still like lilo and devices.

    However I'm willing to give it a try, you never know I might even get it to
    work and become converted.

    Nobody Guest

  9. #9

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    <snip>

    Yawn...

    Nobody Guest

  10. #10

    Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > <snip>
    > Yawn...
    Did I break wind in your general direction?

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  11. #11

    begin On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:04:37 +0100, Nobody wrote:
    > As you think it works under RH I'll give it a try. It certainly can't
    > do any worse than what's currently happening (lol).
    At least that part works, now if Red Hat could actually provide a kernel
    via RPM that works with my hardware correctly, I'd be a happy camper!!!

    $ uname -smorv
    Linux 2.4.22-pre10 #2 Fri Aug 1 15:26:27 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

  12. #12

    Nobody wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Yawn...

    Just plonk him. Between the attitude towards newbies and the
    occasionally extremely misleading replies, he's worse than useless.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  13. #13

    David wrote:
    > Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> Lenard wrote:
    >>

    >>> Change; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=811=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    >>>
    >>> To; kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8mine ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
    >>

    >> That's how I started out.
    >>
    >> I cut&pst'd the original RH menu option but the complaints started from
    >> there, so I played a little and took the suggestion for using the 811
    >> from
    >> a ng posting but it does not work for me.
    >

    > I always have to laugh when I see redhat's LABEL=/ in /etc/fstab and
    > back when I used redhat and they first started using LABEL= I always had
    > to go in and fix it back to use the correct device after rebooting into
    > the new install. That eliminated problems for me.

    The "LABEL=/" stuff is useful in several admittedly nasty cirstances.

    1: Swapping drives around.
    2: Dual-booting systems, to avoid the controller/drive swapping business
    instead of using the "bios=0x80/0x81" business.
    2: Changing a kernel for a system with add-on or secondary on the
    motherboard Promise IDE controllers, which had drivers published by
    Promise that deliberately renumbered the IDE controllers so theirs would
    show up first. That was a *NASTY* bit of driver programming on their
    part, and brokek a lot of things for people who tried to switch or
    upgrade their system from a Promise patched system.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  14. #14

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    > Nobody wrote:
    >> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Yawn...
    > Just plonk him. Between the attitude towards newbies and the
    > occasionally extremely misleading replies, he's worse than useless.
    Can you apply that to presidents?

    Peter

    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  15. #15

    Nobody <methere.com> wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Nobody wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Yawn...
    >>>

    >> Just plonk him. Between the attitude towards newbies and the
    >> occasionally extremely misleading replies, he's worse than useless.
    > Yep, you have my whole hearted agreement with that.
    Nobody thinks that!

    But then nobody is nobody.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  16. #16

    Lenard wrote:
    > begin On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:04:37 +0100, Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> As you think it works under RH I'll give it a try. It certainly can't
    >> do any worse than what's currently happening (lol).
    >
    > At least that part works, now if Red Hat could actually provide a kernel
    > via RPM that works with my hardware correctly, I'd be a happy camper!!!
    >
    > $ uname -smorv
    > Linux 2.4.22-pre10 #2 Fri Aug 1 15:26:27 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

    Well I tried the make install and unfortunately it did not solve the problem
    for me.

    However I checked out what the make install does and it's no different than
    what I do manually so I suppose I can stop the manual process and do it
    with the make file now.

    That's something.

    Now back to the problem.

    Nobody Guest