Professional Web Applications Themes

Help - CD-RW disk locked after one burn - Mac Applications & Software

Help! I'm using OSX 10.2.6... I just burned a CD-RW with no problems - just copied stuff across onto the disk in the Finder, then burned it by dragging it to the Trash / Burn icon in the Dock - it burned perfectly. Great. Then I ejected and reinserted the disk - and although the icon for the disk has the CDRW symbol on it, I now can't add anything to it, or erase it, or remove anything from it. If I 'Get Info' on the disk, it tells me there's zero space available. I checked the Permissions - it ...

  1. #1

    Default Help - CD-RW disk locked after one burn

    Help! I'm using OSX 10.2.6... I just burned a CD-RW with no problems -
    just copied stuff across onto the disk in the Finder, then burned it by
    dragging it to the Trash / Burn icon in the Dock - it burned perfectly.
    Great.

    Then I ejected and reinserted the disk - and although the icon for the
    disk has the CDRW symbol on it, I now can't add anything to it, or erase
    it, or remove anything from it.

    If I 'Get Info' on the disk, it tells me there's zero space available. I
    checked the Permissions - it was marked locked, so I unchecked that,
    ejected and put it back in - 'Get Info' now *says* it's unlocked, but I
    still can't do a thing with it.

    How do I reformat it / modify it?

    Retrospect Express says the disk's locked, so I can't even reformat it
    for backup use.

    TIA,

    Richard
    Richard Burke-Ward Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help - CD-RW disk locked after one burn

    In <orac-9225E0.08335202072003host9.newsfeeds.com> Orac wrote:
    > In article
    > <removespamrichard.bw-7AF7C4.12031702072003newstrial.btopenworld.com>,
    > Richard Burke-Ward <removespamrichard.bwbtinternet.comnospam> wrote:
    >
    >> Help! I'm using OSX 10.2.6... I just burned a CD-RW with no problems -
    >> just copied stuff across onto the disk in the Finder, then burned it
    >> by dragging it to the Trash / Burn icon in the Dock - it burned
    >> perfectly. Great. Then I ejected and reinserted the disk - and
    >> although the icon for the disk has the CDRW symbol on it, I now
    >> can't add anything to it, or erase it, or remove anything from it.
    >> If I 'Get Info' on the disk, it tells me there's zero space available.
    >> I checked the Permissions - it was marked locked, so I unchecked
    >> that, ejected and put it back in - 'Get Info' now *says* it's
    >> unlocked, but I still can't do a thing with it. How do I reformat
    >> it / modify it? Retrospect Express says the disk's locked, so I
    >> can't even reformat it for backup use.
    >
    > CD-RW's are not like hard drives. You can't just keep adding data to
    > them as you would with a hard disk. Once you do a burn (at least in
    > the Finder), the entire disk is used in a single burn "session."
    > After that, no more data can be added to the CD. You have to erase CD-
    > RW's before you can use them again. Use Disk Utility (it's in the
    > Utilities folder in the Applications folder) to erase your disk, and
    > you'll be able to use it again.
    >
    > You can do multisession burns using Toast Titanium. This feature
    > allows you to add more data in later burning "sessions" to a CD-RW or
    > CD-R without having to erase the entire disk first. I don't think
    > it's possible to make multisession CD's using the Finder, but perhaps
    > someone who is more expert at this will tell me I'm wrong.
    In Mac OS 10.2 and later the CD burning software was changed to allow
    for multiple sessions, but unfortunately the Finder still doesn't take
    advantage of this new option. There is a shareware program called CD
    Session Burner which can burn multiple sessions, or you can do it for
    free using Disk Copy.

    [url]http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200205150128445[/url] has more on
    both methods.

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    [url]http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/[/url]

    Roger Johnstone Guest

  3. #3

    In article <20030703221959336+1200news.inv.ihug.co.nz>,
    Roger Johnstone <rojawses.co.nz> wrote:
    > In <orac-9225E0.08335202072003host9.newsfeeds.com> Orac wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <removespamrichard.bw-7AF7C4.12031702072003newstrial.btopenworld.com>,
    > > Richard Burke-Ward <removespamrichard.bwbtinternet.comnospam> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Help! I'm using OSX 10.2.6... I just burned a CD-RW with no problems -
    > >> just copied stuff across onto the disk in the Finder, then burned it
    > >> by dragging it to the Trash / Burn icon in the Dock - it burned
    > >> perfectly. Great. Then I ejected and reinserted the disk - and
    > >> although the icon for the disk has the CDRW symbol on it, I now
    > >> can't add anything to it, or erase it, or remove anything from it.
    > >> If I 'Get Info' on the disk, it tells me there's zero space available.
    > >> I checked the Permissions - it was marked locked, so I unchecked
    > >> that, ejected and put it back in - 'Get Info' now *says* it's
    > >> unlocked, but I still can't do a thing with it. How do I reformat
    > >> it / modify it? Retrospect Express says the disk's locked, so I
    > >> can't even reformat it for backup use.
    > >
    > > CD-RW's are not like hard drives. You can't just keep adding data to
    > > them as you would with a hard disk. Once you do a burn (at least in
    > > the Finder), the entire disk is used in a single burn "session."
    > > After that, no more data can be added to the CD. You have to erase CD-
    > > RW's before you can use them again. Use Disk Utility (it's in the
    > > Utilities folder in the Applications folder) to erase your disk, and
    > > you'll be able to use it again.
    > >
    > > You can do multisession burns using Toast Titanium. This feature
    > > allows you to add more data in later burning "sessions" to a CD-RW or
    > > CD-R without having to erase the entire disk first. I don't think
    > > it's possible to make multisession CD's using the Finder, but perhaps
    > > someone who is more expert at this will tell me I'm wrong.
    >
    > In Mac OS 10.2 and later the CD burning software was changed to allow
    > for multiple sessions, but unfortunately the Finder still doesn't take
    > advantage of this new option. There is a shareware program called CD
    > Session Burner which can burn multiple sessions, or you can do it for
    > free using Disk Copy.
    >
    > [url]http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200205150128445[/url] has more on
    > both methods.
    Interesting. However, I already have Toast Titanium, which handles
    multisession CDs quite well. I just didn't know if multisession CDs
    could be easily done without other software.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
    | inconvenience me with questions?"
    Orac Guest

  4. #4

    Many thanks for your advice, folks. I'll work it out, in time!

    Richard
    Richard Burke-Ward Guest