Professional Web Applications Themes

Help! Color mgmt ruined my file! - Macromedia Freehand

I was experimenting with the color tables, trying to figure out what would print the best without fully understanding it yet, and suddenly my purple is blue and peach is light peach. That's actually better than it was originally, when everything turned cyan or magenta. Undo doesn't undo these changes, and neither does going back to an earlier version of the file. Is there any way to correct this kind of catastrophe? I've also tried exporting and pulling it up in PhotoShop and InDesign, but I'm not familiar enough with them yet to be able to do what I want ...

  1. #1

    Default Help! Color mgmt ruined my file!

    I was experimenting with the color tables, trying to figure out what would
    print the best without fully understanding it yet, and suddenly my purple is
    blue and peach is light peach. That's actually better than it was originally,
    when everything turned cyan or magenta.

    Undo doesn't undo these changes, and neither does going back to an earlier
    version of the file. Is there any way to correct this kind of catastrophe?
    I've also tried exporting and pulling it up in PhotoShop and InDesign, but I'm
    not familiar enough with them yet to be able to do what I want to do.
    (Fireworks and FreeHand are so much easier to use, IMO.)

    The colors are all process/CMYK.

    ApexDude Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help! Color mgmt ruined my file!

    Either I need new glasses or I'm getting dyslexic. I read, "Color mgmt
    ruined my *life*" and I was about to commiserate with you.

    Relax. There's no catastrophe. Color management didn't ruin your file. It
    only changed how vector artwork looks on your monitor. Set Color Management
    back to your original settings and you'll be back to square one with vector
    art.

    However, color management settings do affect how a file prints to an RGB
    printer and exports to raster image formats.

    What is the purpose of the artwork? Web image design and offset printing in
    process inks require entirely different color management strategies.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    ..uoy ot taht od nac tnemeganam roloc dnaheerF

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:50:58 -0700, Judy Arndt <ca> wrote:

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  4. #4

    Thank you so much, Judy, for your reply. I left out a few details...
    This is for printing on a Canon S520, not the web.
    The S520 manual has no mention of its color model, but the inks suggest that
    suggests what color model it uses, but the 4 ink wells suggest CMYK.
    It prints the same way it looks on screen.
    I'm using a mixture of vector paths (filled in) and text. It's adjusting the
    colors of the vector art, but leaving the colors of the text alone.
    What I have triedSetting color mgmt to original settings, "Color Tables," and
    that only makes it worse. The purple becomes a light turquoise, and the peach
    becomes pink (not really magenta). Oddly, the purple text remains purple.
    It's only the vector/paths that change colors."Kodak Digital Science" option,
    with same results as in 1Using "Color manage spot colors" checked, with above 2
    options,"None" option.It's not just an on screen problem; it prints as it looks
    on screen.
    The best result is with "None," but again, purple paths become blue, and it
    doesn't seem easy to fix.

    If I could just mix colors over again, and get the printer to look similar,
    that'd be fine. But the only way now to do that is either toEdit the Color
    Tables directly, somehow, (Anyone know how to do this.)
    Reinstall FreeHand and hopefully start with the standard Color Table, or
    Hope for the best with "None."
    Unfortunately, with the current color table(s) (?), mixing colors is not an
    option, unless I go with "None." Colors that ought to be purple come out
    turquoise. There is no way to make purple.

    This all started because the purple printed a little greyer than I wanted...
    I wish I could have that setting back... :-(

    Is there a way to edit the C.Table directly?
    Would reinstalling FreeHand fix this mess?
    Since color tables only manage the conversion between CMYK and RGB, why is it
    even a problem here, except on screen? All these are process colors using
    CMYK, and I'm printing to CMYK. It should only be affecting the screen (and
    there ought to be a way to recover, without reinstalling).

    Advice to others: Do not touch the "Rebuild color tables" box!!!

    ApexDude Guest

  5. #5

    Bill wrote:

    :-)

    To add to our woes, FH Help files on the topic of color management have
    about the same degree of comprehensibility.

    Judy

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    Are you on a Mac? Is Apple ColorSync one of your CMS (color management)
    options?

    My Epson Photo printers do better with RGB color input. The reason is that
    when FH prints to them, it converts any CMYK in the FH file to RGB to send
    to the printer. Then the printer converts the RGB info back to the printer's
    proprietary inks.

    For the Epson printers, I find it best to simply design in FH with RGB
    colors and use a ColorSync management, using the Epson printer profile. In
    the ColorSync settings/Advanced, select the ColorSync profile for your
    composite printer and then *uncheck* 'Composite simulates separations'.

    Purple is a color that will not reproduce well with CMYK inks, so you may
    not be able to get the purple you want in any case. Intense purple in
    commercially printed material is usually achieved with a Pantone spot ink.

    I have seen the mismatch between vector and live text colors. I suggest you
    clone your text, send the clone to a non-printing background layer (so you
    have live text in case further edits are required) and then convert the text
    on the printing layers to paths.

    Hope the helps.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    Anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance.
    ApexDude Guest

  8. #8

    "Judy Arndt" <ca> wrote in message

    > :-)
    >
    > To add to our woes, FH Help files on the topic of color management have
    > about the same degree of comprehensibility.
    >
    > Judy
    >[/ref]

    Very Funny

    Martin Guest

  9. #9

    I believe these are default color table settings:
    (though I may be mistaken; corrections welcome)

    c = r1 g160 b198
    c+m = r19 g1 b124
    m = r239 g4 b127
    m+y = r255 g0 b0
    y = r255 g255 b0
    c+y = r0 g135 b55
    cmy = r0 g0 b0

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  10. #10

    Judy, thanks for the additional input. My findings agree with yours.
    Especially if the color is hard to reproduce in CMYK, it is better to choose
    the color in RGB, and allow FH and/or printer convert that into CMYK, than to
    try to come up with CMYK values on your own. It's a lot faster in RGB, and the
    printed results are far and away better.

    It seems a bit counterintuitive, since you'd think you'd be speaking the
    printer's language if you specified in CMYK. I suppose it is clearer to get a
    good translator than to struggle in a foreign language (broken German, Korean,
    etc). In other words, I don't speak CMYK very well, but my Canon printer does.

    Bill, do you know what file contains the color table?

    ApexDude Guest

  11. #11

    In article <d9tn2d$r0n$macromedia.com>,
    "ApexDude" <com> wrote:

    Most of the cheaper inkjet printers are not true cmyk devices: they
    convert cmyk data internally back into rgb and then to cmyk the way
    *they think* your values should be.

    Only the more expensive models and true PostScript colour lasers will
    output your cmyk values straight.

    --
    Cheers Martin

    To reply remove the "waste bin".
    Martin Guest

  12. #12

    ApexDude wrote:

    I'm glad that works for you. I agree with Martin that inkjet printers are
    not 'true to offset press' CMYK devices.

    I don't know if Bill knows, but Judy knows. :-)

    Users/(Username)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/ 11/
    English/ Settings

    The files are called, "CMYKtoRGBtable" and "RGBtoCMYKtable". If you quit FH,
    delete these files and relaunch, new default files will be generated.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  13. #13

    I didn't, but I do now. Thanks.

    -Bill

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:10:39 -0700, Judy Arndt <ca> wrote:

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  14. #14

    FYI - I've been creating PDF files through distiller and printing to my injet for years for proofs. Freehand colors do seem to always shift printing directly from it to my desktop printer.
    jamie Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks for all the help, everyone, and for the info on the color tables and how to restore them, Judy.
    ApexDude Guest