Professional Web Applications Themes

Help Contents & Tutorial do not work in Windows XP - Adobe Photoshop Elements

The Help Contents and the Tutorial Button do not work in Windows XP. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it with windows 98se and it works. So that problem is with windows xp. Does anyone know how to solve it?...

  1. #1

    Default Help Contents & Tutorial do not work in Windows XP

    The Help Contents and the Tutorial Button do not work in Windows XP. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it with windows 98se and it works. So that problem is with windows xp. Does anyone know how to solve it?
    Jack Goldstein Guest

  2. #2

    it's possible you are logged into the computer as a 'user' without administrator privleges.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  3. #3

    I am logged into the computer with administrator rights with windows xp.I would like to hear from anybody who has windows xp installed and how they fixed the problem.
    Jack Goldstein Guest

  4. #4

    Jack,

    Are you using AOL ? If so, you need to set your default browser to Internet Explorer.

    Have you tried to open the help manually, to see if it's workiing ? Providing you're using Photoshop Elements 2.0, the help file main page is here : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Help\help.html

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  5. #5

    I am using Photoelements 1 and yes can open the help.html file manually. I even updated windows xp with service pack 1.
    Jack Goldstein Guest

  6. #6

    Jack,

    Seems to be one of life's mysteries why so many people with XP can't access the help files from within the program, myself included.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  7. #7

    Be sure to have at least MSIE 5 as your default browser and be sure that it's the program/utility that's associated with HTML files.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  8. #8

    Bob H,

    thanks for the reply, but I meet all requirements and it is a no-go.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  9. #9

    JACK,
    For sure, I am not the one to help.
    I do have Windows XP and use Elements 2.
    I have no problem getting to the HELP or Tutorials. Wish I could tell how but evidently it is possible if a lowly one like me can get it.
    Stick around this bunch a few days. Bet you'll get your answer.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  10. #10

    Nancy,

    Couple of questions. Is IE6 your default browser, not AOL or MSN? Do you have Norton products running and did you have Norton products running during install?

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    Marty, the problem is with Photoelements 1 and windows xp. The program works fine in windows 98se. The only solution is to fine the help.htm and access it from the web browser Internet Explorer or Netscape.
    Jack Goldstein Guest

  13. #13

    Rich,

    I have a brand new Dell;
    WinXP Pro
    1 G DDR Ram
    120 G HD
    2.8 Pentium 4
    128 ATI 9800
    IE6
    nothing Norton
    not using any ISP software (I made a DSL connection manually myself)

    My old computer ran WIN98 and help files were available from within PSE with many Norton programs installed (disabled when installing PSE)

    It is a mystery to me :)

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  14. #14

    Rich,

    I use PSE version 1.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Nancy,

    It is most likely some kind of software conflict, but I haven't used elements 1 in a while, so I'm a bit rusty on trouble shooting it. Have you tried running in W98 compatibility mode? Have you looked at the faq at the top of this forum or searched the adobe knowledgebase? There were some known issues and fixes with this issue and Elements 1, but I can't remember them all off hand.

    Worscase scenario, you can create a shortcut to the Help index file and place it in you tray.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  16. #16

    Rich,

    Thank you for your contribution on this subject...especially since we ARE referencing Adobe's "obsolete" version 1 <g>

    I think dueling banjos behind the scenes are to blame but elusive. Will create the shortcut you suggest, that will work just fine, good idea, thanks.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  17. #17

    Richard and Nancy by creating that shortcut on the desktop "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Help\Help.htm" ,it works great!
    The compatibility modes won't solve the problem. I tried all of them and you could not access the help in Photoelements 1 with windows xp. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, just got back from vacation in Niagara Falls.
    Jack Goldstein Guest

  18. #18

    I have just installed Photoshop 7 and am running Win.XP ican not access help either as it tells me I have no default browser.I use Aol but am not sure how to set my default browser differently.Help?
    diana eastlake Guest

  19. #19

    Diana, this is the Elements forum, not full PS 7.0, but since you're on XP, I'll make a stab at it. If this doesn't work, I suggest a post on the Photoshop forum.

    Go to Control Panels>Internet Options>Web. Down at the bottom of the page there should be a box that lets you set a default browser. If I don't have the terms down exactly, look for something extremely close. I've done this on my XP Pro computer, but I'm currently on my Mac so can't verify what I just said. Sorry. I know I'm not far off, though! Just make sure you aren't using the AOL browser. A plain vanilla version of IE is probably already loaded on your computer. If not, it's a free download from Microsoft.
    Beth Haney Guest

  20. #20

    Jack,

    I gave up on finding a solution to access the help files from within the program (using Windows XP Pro). Rarely do I consult the files anyway. Rich C.'s suggested workaround (I put a shortcut in my Quick Launch toolbar) works just fine for me! Since the pages are all linked, one only needs access to a single page. Sounds like you are also satisfied with our modified method. Cheers to Rich!

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest