Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP! - Convert CYMK PSD to Fireworks for web - Macromedia Fireworks

"Nigel Hodgetts" <it.nigel.hodgettsoldham.gov.uk> wrote in message news:bl14b1$k4h$1forums.macromedia.com... > Folks, > > I have a logo that has been produced in Adobe Photoshop, for print, that > I need to convert into an image I can use on the Web. The Photoshop file > is in CYMK format and includes an additional spot colour channel. The > PSD file has two layers; The background layer, which is locked, has the > logo with the spot colour applied. The second layer has the logo with a > gradient transparency applied to it. The overall effect is a green logo > that has ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: HELP! - Convert CYMK PSD to Fireworks for web

    "Nigel Hodgetts" <it.nigel.hodgettsoldham.gov.uk> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > I have a logo that has been produced in Adobe Photoshop, for print, that
    > I need to convert into an image I can use on the Web. The Photoshop file
    > is in CYMK format and includes an additional spot colour channel. The
    > PSD file has two layers; The background layer, which is locked, has the
    > logo with the spot colour applied. The second layer has the logo with a
    > gradient transparency applied to it. The overall effect is a green logo
    > that has a fade to black across the centre of it. The canvas colour is
    > set to white.
    >
    > I'm trying to get the logo out of Photoshop and into Fireworks to create
    > an image with a transparent background. Whenever I bring the PSD file
    > into fireworks I'm left with a white block the size of the PSD canvas. I
    > can't delete that layer as when I do I loose the base colour logo and am
    > just left with a gradient transparency that goes from clear to black.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how I can get to a simple RGB image with a
    > transparent background would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Nigel H.

    The right way would be convert to RGB in Photoshop, then go to FW.
    Conversion from CMYK to RGB is not straighforward, and suggests knowing the
    particular color separation profile for that particular sort of CMYK output.
    FW, obviously, doesn't have CMYK support engine, not to mention it has no
    idea about particular profile.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    [url]http://photoshop.msk.ru/[/url] - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "Umgah are funny. We are Umgah. We are funny. There's no alternative" -
    Umgah,
    Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters

    Ilya Razmanov Guest

  2. #2

    Default HELP! - Convert CYMK PSD to Fireworks for web

[...]

    Nigel Hodgetts Guest

  3. #3

    If you don't need change the dimensions of the logo, one possibility is
    to open it in Photoshop and make a screen shot of it. Open the screen
    shot in Fireworks and do any cropping that's necessary. You could
    probably use the Magic wand tool to delete the white background, or
    mask it out. In Fireworks MX 2004 you can use the replace color tool to
    remove the white background. Because, no matter which method you use to
    remove the white background you are going to be left with a fringe of
    light colored pixels around the image, use an Inner Glow in the same
    color as the logo background to paint out the fringe. You'll have to
    experiment with the settings for the glow.

    Best regards,
    Linda Rathgeber
    ----------------
    Victoriana | [url]http://www.projectseven.com/dpacks/vic/index.htm[/url]
    Theme Pack 03 - Club | [url]www.projectseven.com[/url] |mm2| themes
    Contributor *PVII Foundations* [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]
    Co-author *Playing with Fire* [url]www.playingwithfire.com[/url]
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    -----------------

    Linda Rathgeber Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Linda and Ilya,

    I must admit I'd already tried the screenshot method but, as you pointed
    out, I hit the problem of the 'halo' effect around the edge of the image
    when trying to create a transparent background. The inner glow idea
    sounds very promising - certainly better than trying to do the same
    thing by hand!

    Thanks again for you help.

    Nigel H.

    Nigel Hodgetts Guest