Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP: Display System Preference MISSING - Mac Applications & Software

I just noticed that I no longer have an icon for DISPLAY in my System Preferences. Anyone know how to get that back? I have not looked for it in a while so I don't exactly know when it disappeared. I now am on OS X 10.2.6 Any thoughts would be most welcomed. MacFan -- MacIntosh Rules...

  1. #1

    Default HELP: Display System Preference MISSING

    --
    MacIntosh Rules
    MacFan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HELP: Display System Preference MISSING

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:30:11 GMT, MacFan wrote:
    > I just noticed that I no longer have an icon for DISPLAY in my System
    > Preferences. Anyone know how to get that back? I have not looked for
    > it in a while so I don't exactly know when it disappeared. I now am on
    > OS X 10.2.6
    > Any thoughts would be most welcomed.
    You might look to see whether you have a
    /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane on your machine, and
    possibly copy one from elsewhere if it's missing or corrupt.

    Although the suffix is ".prefPane" rather than ".app", it seems to have
    the same sort of structure as an .app. That is, it's a package with a
    Contents directory containing an info.plist, a version.plist, and
    subdirectories called MacOS and Resources.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  3. #3

    Found all of that. If I double click on the folder it appears to
    launch it but nothing opens. I can open the package and the folders do
    appear. Have to try coping folder from another computer and
    replacing, see what happens.

    Thanks for the lead.
    Mac Fan

  4. #4

    I have a second account on my computer and the Display Preference works
    fine.

    Apparently on the 'missing' account, I do have the Display in the menu
    bar across the top but when I go to 'Open Gisplays' Nothing opens.

    Very Strange

  5. #5

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:49:03 GMT, MacFan wrote:
    > I have a second account on my computer and the Display Preference works
    > fine.
    > Apparently on the 'missing' account, I do have the Display in the menu
    > bar across the top but when I go to 'Open Gisplays' Nothing opens.
    > Very Strange
    On that case you should try renaming your
    Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist on the account
    where it doesn't work, and see whether allowing a new one to be generated
    will fix the problem. Retrieving an old copy of this file from backup
    may also be useful.

  6. #6

    Thanks Dave for all your help. You got me thinking and were on the
    right track. It turns out that it is a file in the users cache file
    called com.apple.preferencepanes.cache in Library/Caches

    Once this was trashed and the System Preferences restarted the missing
    icon reappeared.

    Thanks for taking the time to respond. It was much appreciated. All is
    happy in MacWorld!!!!

    --
    MacIntosh Rules
    MacFan Guest